Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Send PM
Re: Pleas rate my essay on "big/small city"....thank u so much [#permalink]
Kudos
PeterPaul wrote:
Are the reasons I state relevant for my score though?

Good question.

In my view the reasons/ideas/examples you write about should be somehow relevant for your score. I don't think you would score a 30 if your writing is perfect but you write about a different topic or giving silly ideas. But again, this is my opinion and I may be wrong because this is not AWA.

PeterPaul wrote:
In your opinion, what can I do in order to perform better?

It's difficult to tell you. Of course if you don't make any error you will score higher, but you can score a 29-30 with some mistakes too. I suggest you to let the last 5 minutes to search for typos.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Business
Send PM
I thing, our writing level is same. And I got 4,5/5 in the second section of the writing. The crucial point in the writing is to give an example to all your idea..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Terry, Georgia Tech
 Q50  V40
GPA: 7.87
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010
Send PM
PeterPaul wrote:
Hey guys,

I have read quite a lot in this awesome forum and I eventually decided to become a member as well. As probably most of you, I started preparing for the TOEFL and want to do the GMAT afterwards.

Could someone please read my essay and give me an indication of whether it is good or not and what I can improve. Thank you so much in advance.

Topic: "Some people prefer to live in a small town. Others prefer to live in a big city. Which place would you prefer to live in? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer."

Some people prefer to live in big cities, whereas others see more advantages in living in a small town. I clearly prefer to live in a big city due to several reasons.

First of all, a big city offers so much more to do. Living in a city with a decent size means that there are sufficient facilities such as museums, cinemas and other places available to the public. These places offer a large variety of activities and hence the probability of being bored decreases drastically. For instance, if someone is lonely in his or her apartment the person might just go out and enjoy the city life, whereas a person in a small town would probably only be able to go for a walk. So, it should be clear that a big city provides more opportunities and activities than a small town.
Another reason for living in a big city is the infrastructure. Usually, there are lots of train and subway routes, buses and other ways to quickly get from one place to another. In the contrary, you always need a car for pretty much everything you do in a small town. For example, if you wish to visit a friend in a different part of the city you just go to the closest subway station, take the next train and are at your friend’s place in time. The extraordinary opportunities to get from one place to another in a big city are real advantages as you do not even need to have a car and hence save a lot of money on fuel, insurances and so on.
The most important reason is probably the close proximity within a big city. No matter what you like to do and no matter where you want to go, everything is only a couple of minutes away from you. If you, for example, decide to go to the movies late in the evening and you live in a small town, it is very likely that you won’t be in the cinema on time due to the long time it takes to get to it. On the other hand, if you live in a big city you call a friend, arrange a meeting point and finally meet a few minutes later.
To summarize, there are different arguments to the issue above, but it should become obvious that reasons for living in a big city outweigh the opponent’s reasons. Not only the large variety of activities and the superb infrastructure but also the close proximity to all kinds of facilities showed the advantages of living in a big city.

Cheers
PeterPaul

Hi,

I think the essay is really good. The only criticism I could come up with is the length. It could have been a little longer, nearer to 500 words. I found only one grammatical error “in the contrary…” so you pretty much do not have to worry about that all.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey,

@samidh:

I recently received my score....116! I am really satisfied as it more than fullfils the minimum requirements of all Business Schools I am going to apply for.

With regard to the writing section. I scored 30/30 and the quality and quantity was pretty the same like the essay above. I was very delighted as my independent essay had only 320 words....So I guess, contrary to what you (samidh) and many other people said, the number of words is not as important as it appears.

Anyway, thanks so much for all your comments...

Cheers
PeterPaul
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
congrats! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator: