Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:UCLA, INSEAD
Send PM
Re: MBA in the UK or USA? Want to relocate to USA [#permalink]
I'm curious about how well known LBS and INSEAD are outside of Europe. Are many potential employers in the U.S. familiar with these schools.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
If you are not an US citizen I would advise you to try to study in the USA because of Visa Issues. You would have the OPT (Optional Practical Training) after school with the F1 visa. If you are international either your company will have to sponsor a H visa (H1-B) or L1, and this is an issue almost always.

In my opinion the way from the USA to Europe (well actually the UK) is easier than the other way around.

You can find more info here:
https://internationalaffairs.uchicago.edu/students/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I know this was a while ago but thanks for all the responses. I have decided to apply this year to US schools.
Since I want to move, it will make the visa process much easier I hope as well as finding jobs.
I will also look into MPA programs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi darkone,

Agree with what has been said: If you want to work in the US, go to a US b-school.

However, have you thought about whether a full-time MBA is the right choice at this point in your career? With 14 years of work ex, I wonder if an executive MBA program may be a better option. In full-time programs, you will sit in a classroom with 27 year olds, some will be as young as 23. Especially in the US, full-time MBA students tend to be younger. In terms of recruiting, you may also have a hard time since most employers recruiting directly from schools will look for students to fill the typical associates positions - you may be overqualified for this. From what someone already posted before, a full-time MBA may not be very suitable for your career aspirations. Just my .02...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Is 34 too old for a full time MBA?
If i should be looking at a US b-school then I wouldn't be able to do it part time, hence going full time. Either way - I would like to know your opinion as it is a big decision to make. I would be leaving a very good job with a good salary vs 2 yrs full time and hopefully a job after that?
I'm unsure but still looking for advice. At this point I know that since I want to move to the US, it the only way I can realistically stand a chance of networking and securing a job, without going through a company transfer which is not guaranteed where I work.

I would also like to do the MBA to add to my CV, therefore I still do it even if it wasn't for the move, but it seems to make sense to do one in the US.

Opinions appreciated - thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
When I started my MBA the oldest person in the program was 34. I suggest that perhaps you could have a chat with someone from admissions whether an MBA or an exec MBA (which can be full time) is more suitable. Or, as someone mentioned the MPA is the way to go.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot