Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 2: 730
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools:Booth (R2), Yale (R2), LBS
Send PM
Re: How to answer how many schools you have applied? [#permalink]
I don't fill it. It's not a must field.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Do you mean on the application or interview?

In either case, I'd be honest, though they'll understand things can change over time. On my R1 applications I think I included USC and Texas because at the time I was considering them, but didn't note HBS or Kellogg because I hadn't anticipated applying for them. My UCLA interviewer asked where else I had applied but I didn't get the feeling that she was judging me for it--she just seemed curious.

I wouldn't be the guy that says "oh, HBS/Kellogg/Wharton is the only school I'm applying to" because they'll see through that and know that you're saying what you think they want to hear. As long as you can convince them you'd be a good fit for their particular school and that you're likely to attend if accepted you should be fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I think you need to be honest because the schools do talk to each other, and you never want to be caught in a lie. And really, there is no right or wrong answer here - they are probably just curious, or are gathering data to help understand the landscape.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
DingDingDong wrote:

Agree with this. If it wasn't required, I didn't answer it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
I also did not fill it in. On the other hand, I often ask prospective students this during admissions visits; I don't give any input to admissions (unless I suppose you really screwed up), it's just a conversation piece and also a matter of being able to offer advice (oh, I visited there and really liked it, they had a really good xyz). I would tend to agree that they just want to know that the schools you're picking "make sense" and not that if you apply to Harvard they're not going to accept you. Think about it - they know how to do their job, they don't need your help to figure out which schools you could get into. With that said, I would probably still leave it blank.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
when asked a question, being honest never fails. Lying only can come back and haunt you. If you apply to 3 and a few more in R2 if you dont have the success you hope for during R1. Well during a R1 answer 3, then in R2 with whatever you new total is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools:Booth (R2), Yale (R2), LBS
Send PM
perseverance wrote:
DingDingDong wrote:

Agree with this. If it wasn't required, I didn't answer it.

As I see it, that question invades my privacy. If you go to a job interview, you'll think it's rude or weird if the interviewer asks you which other firms you're interviewing to. All of us take it for granted that the schools can ask that question (because they do), but I don't think it should be their business.

shawdaff wrote:
I think you need to be honest because the schools do talk to each other, and you never want to be caught in a lie. And really, there is no right or wrong answer here - they are probably just curious, or are gathering data to help understand the landscape.

While I agree you have to be honest (and if asked during the interview you have to answer), I don't think the schools can use the information you gave them and pass it on. I'm no lawyer but it doesn't sound very legal to me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I agree that honesty is the best policy.

I was asked this question during my interview and answered it truthfully - Usually the reason for asking this is WHY you applied to those schools. As long as your reason is consistent with your school selections, you should be good. If not, they will think that you haven't done enough research in your MBA pursuit.

Not sure if it's invasion of privacy. They asked and you have an option to not answer. But you always want to look honest to your interviewer, whether it's MBA or for jobs. If this issue is a messy, grey-area question, I bet there would've been a lawsuit or something :-D Answer the question and get it out of your mind. Otherwise, god forbids you don't get accepted, you will be like "damn, I should've just answered."

I don't think the schools will talk either. That seems too much work and paperwork on top of all the work and papers that they already have.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools:Tepper Class of 2013
Send PM
Don't they already know from your GMAT score report which schools you sent your scores too? Granted, that doesn't mean you end up applying to those same schools, but it's at least an indicator.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Duke (Admitted), Ross (Admitted)
Send PM
cmv wrote:
Don't they already know from your GMAT score report which schools you sent your scores too? Granted, that doesn't mean you end up applying to those same schools, but it's at least an indicator.

I am not sure they know which schools you are applying to. I think the official score report we get is different from what schools receive from GMAC.

I emailed GMAC at mba.com (I was worried since I applied to many schools) and here is the reply I got:

''Schools will not be able to view your personal applications to other programs. We do have data of general number of candidates who apply to one program that will apply to another but they will not know if you are part of that candidate pool. Thank you for your inquiry."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools:Tepper Class of 2013
Send PM
TMS2012 wrote:
cmv wrote:

I am not sure they know which schools you are applying to. I think the official score report we get is different from what schools receive from GMAC.

I emailed GMAC at mba.com (I was worried since I applied to many schools) and here is the reply I got:

''Schools will not be able to view your personal applications to other programs. We do have data of general number of candidates who apply to one program that will apply to another but they will not know if you are part of that candidate pool. Thank you for your inquiry."

At least one of the schools I applied to asked for an upload of the unofficial report, and that included the list of schools my scores were sent to.
GMAT Club Bot