Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools:Kellogg (R2 Admit), Tuck (R1 Ding), Booth (R2 Ding), Wharton (R2 Interviewed) , HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Yale SOM (R3 withdrew), Tepper (R3 withdrew)
 Q50  V45
GPA: 3.89
WE 1: 5.5 yrs engineering
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink]
Kudos
machg400 wrote:
I'm interested in getting a pre-MBA consulting internship that starts roughly first week of May and ends roughly last week of July. Is that possible with McK/BCG/Bain?

I would think that would be extremely difficult due to the structure of those firms. They are in the midst of hiring undergrads for analyst positions, mba's for internships/FT positions and don't really have a place for the experienced-but-not-yet-mba intern. Same goes for banks. Best shot is going to be boutiques (even then you might need an "in") or start-ups that need free labor.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
How long do these internships usually run? Is it possible to get one for June, July, and part of August? Not sure if I can do May yet.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
merkin wrote:
They are in the midst of hiring undergrads for analyst positions, mba's for internships/FT positions and don't really have a place for the experienced-but-not-yet-mba intern. Same goes for banks. Best shot is going to be boutiques (even then you might need an "in") or start-ups that need free labor.

this. pretty much everywhere i applied to i faced the in-between-analyst-and-associate problem.

mind you, i've only applied to a few places. i've been very selective in whom i contact for the internship apps, and most of them have been through some sort of contacts - so i have a realistic chance of actually landing the job. so far it seems like i'm headed to china for the summer for an IB internship. this would pretty much require me to work 90 hr weeks...but it'll also help me really boost my profile for landing an associate position next yr. so i guess it's worth it.

my back up plan (in case this falls through last minute) is to just chill at home during the summer. i've invested in a real estate project that needs to be managed/worked on. i'm also a semi-pro poker player lol. so between these 2 things i'll be having some fun and keeping myself busy.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Would it be inappropriate to cold-call(email) alumni from the school I plan to matriculate asking them about any possible pre-MBA internships?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi All. Thank you for contributing to a great post.

Another pre-MBA career / internship resource you may want to consider is our professional group, USA Leadership Corps (www.usaLeadershipCorps.org).

USALC partners with pre-MBAs who are looking to enhance their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement backgrounds by leading volunteer nonprofit & small business strategy consulting projects.

Thank you & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
staind wrote:
Would it be inappropriate to cold-call(email) alumni from the school I plan to matriculate asking them about any possible pre-MBA internships?

I've been wondering about this too. I contacted an alum and asked about a specific intern position for which he was hiring. He did get back to me, but stressed that his first preference was MBA students who'd completed one year. He invited me to apply next summer.

While I'd like to leverage Booth's network, I don't want to go overboard either. Can any current students shed some light on staind's question? Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
wiredo wrote:
staind wrote:

I've been wondering about this too. I contacted an alum and asked about a specific intern position for which he was hiring. He did get back to me, but stressed that his first preference was MBA students who'd completed one year. He invited me to apply next summer.

While I'd like to leverage Booth's network, I don't want to go overboard either. Can any current students shed some light on staind's question? Thanks!

Depends how badly you want to do a pre-MBA internship. I landed one through my personal network, which I think is the most likely way to do this. However, if you don't know people in your desired field, I don't think there's any harm in doing exactly what you did. Chances are you'll get a lot of responses similar to the one you got, but as with anything persistence is going to be key. By that i don't mean harassing the same guy to give you a job, but rather reaching out to lots if different people until you find the right one. Best case scenario, you land an internship that you love. Worst case scenario you make some contacts in the industry.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
nink wrote:
I think (economy/job market permitting) Pre-MBA Internship is a great idea for people without specific industry experience for their dream job after bschool. If you have the experience on your resume (before the school publishes their resume book etc), then not only can you impress potential recruiting company reps on your interest in the industry, they might be less skeptical due to your inexperience in that field.

Hi spideyeclipse27,

I agree with nink. A pre-MBA internship is great for people looking to boost their leadership experience in advance of formal internship / full-time position recruiting. Consulting is a valuable skill worthy of a pre-MBA internship. Great experiences can be gained by consulting a struggling nonprofit or small business with its financial, operations, and marketing challenges.

Consider partnering with a volunteer organization such as SCORE, Net Impact, USALC, or Taproot. These orgs provide strategy consulting assistance to emerging organizations in need by structuring pre-MBA volunteer internships for professionals like yourself.

Thank you again & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)
www usaLeadershipCorps org
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on obtaining a pre-MBA internship? Did you just contact a place and tell them you are accepted to XYZ school and would like to intern before going to school? What sort of companies are best to target? I was thinking startups would be most accepting of pre-MBA interns?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
go2school wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on obtaining a pre-MBA internship? Did you just contact a place and tell them you are accepted to XYZ school and would like to intern before going to school? What sort of companies are best to target? I was thinking startups would be most accepting of pre-MBA interns?

I guess it depends on why you want to do one and for how long you are available.

Here are a few posts to review:
the-myth-of-pre-mba-internship-107154.html
pre-mba-internship-74642.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
DrSatisfaction wrote:
merkin wrote:
They are in the midst of hiring undergrads for analyst positions, mba's for internships/FT positions and don't really have a place for the experienced-but-not-yet-mba intern. Same goes for banks. Best shot is going to be boutiques (even then you might need an "in") or start-ups that need free labor.

this. pretty much everywhere i applied to i faced the in-between-analyst-and-associate problem.

mind you, i've only applied to a few places. i've been very selective in whom i contact for the internship apps, and most of them have been through some sort of contacts - so i have a realistic chance of actually landing the job. so far it seems like i'm headed to china for the summer for an IB internship. this would pretty much require me to work 90 hr weeks...but it'll also help me really boost my profile for landing an associate position next yr. so i guess it's worth it.

my back up plan (in case this falls through last minute) is to just chill at home during the summer. i've invested in a real estate project that needs to be managed/worked on. i'm also a semi-pro poker player lol. so between these 2 things i'll be having some fun and keeping myself busy.

DrSatisfaction, how did you manage to land an IB internship in China? Did you find it through personal connections/networking? Am I right to assume you are from Canada? Didn't you have visa issues? I am researching my summer plan pre CBS MBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Hi, any internationals who did pre-MBA internship in NY/US to ask a few questions on how you approached the VISA q... or to share which companies can be OK with smn doing a pre-MBA internship on a tourist visa :) Enrolled at CBS and typing out of Eastern Europe.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 10-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
GMATninja2 wrote:
Hi, any internationals who did pre-MBA internship in NY/US to ask a few questions on how you approached the VISA q... or to share which companies can be OK with smn doing a pre-MBA internship on a tourist visa :) Enrolled at CBS and typing out of Eastern Europe.

You cannot work on a tourist visa.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hey guys,

Thought I'd bump this thread for those that are looking at or have already applied to some pre-MBA programs.

Perhaps a format could look like...

Programs Applied: Deloitte Consulting Immersion Program 2015 (DCIP), McKinsey Emerging Scholars 2015

Application Description: For both I had to enter in an online form which asked for some basic info, stats (GPA/GMAT/School), and for me to upload a resume. Deloitte also asked for a cover letter. I applied in late February for DCIP and late March for Emerging scholars. Didn't have any correspondence or recognition of application for Deloitte. I recently sent in an email questioning my status and then a few days later received a rejection letter :cry: . Oh well, I wonder if that triggered it or if I was already in a reject pile and they simply just gave me an accelerated status update. Anyways, gonna hopefully enjoy my pre-MBA days and hope for a better result when I start applying for internships! 8-)

If anyone else has applied to any pre-MBA programs feel free to add your results and experiences here! I think it'll be a great way for future prospectives to gauge which events they'd like to explore and what the best way to approach them are.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
I got accepted to the DCIP. Anybody else?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
DavidVeritas wrote:

I have been accepted to DCIP as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
20MBA15 wrote:
DavidVeritas wrote:

I have been accepted to DCIP as well.

Would you happen to know the size of the DCIP class? I haven't received anything formal from HR aside from a note telling me I'd be receiving an official letter later...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4