Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [324]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618886 [125]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [41]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [34]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: One week a certain truck rental lot had a total of 20 trucks, all of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
cloaked_vessel wrote:
One week, a certain truck rental lot had a total of 20 trucks, all of which were on the lot Monday morning. If 50% of the trucks that were rented out during the week were returned to the lot on or before Saturday morning of that week, and if there were at least 12 trucks on the lot that Saturday morning, what is the greatest number of different trucks that could have been rented out during the week?

A 18
B 16
C 12
D 8
E 4

There are numerous ways in which you can solve this question. Brute force method if the relation between rented and non-rented trucks in not very clear:

Monday morning - 20 trucks
Saturday morning - at least 12 trucks
50% trucks rented in the week were returned.
maximum no of trucks rented out = ?

I want to maximize the no. of trucks rented so I say - If 20 trucks were rented (i.e. all of them), then we should have 50% i.e. 10 of them back. But we have more; we have at least 12.
So the no. of trucks rented out must be less than 20 (because they cannot be more than 20).
What about 18? If 18 trucks are rented out, 2 remain in the lot through the week. Out of 18, 9 are returned so total 11 are in the lot. But we need at least 12 in the lot.
Let's go further down and try 16. 4 trucks do not leave the lot. Out of 16, 8 come back so we have 12 trucks in the lot.
(As we keep reducing the number of trucks rented out, the total number of trucks in the lot of Saturday morning keeps increasing. We need to maximize the number of trucks rented out which will be at the minimum possible value of total number of trucks in the lot.)
Therefore, 16 trucks must have been rented out.

Algebraic approach:
As we increase the number of trucks rented, the total number of trucks in the lot on Saturday morning decreases since out of the rented trucks only 50% come back (while all non-rented trucks stay in the lot).
(e.g If none of the 20 trucks are rented, the lot will have 20 trucks on Saturday. If 18 trucks are not rented, the lot will have 19 (18 + 1 rented comes back) trucks on Saturday morning.)
So maximize the number of trucks rented, we should try to minimize the number of trucks in the lot on Saturday morning i.e. make it 12.
N - Not rented trucks; R - Rented trucks
N + R = 20
N + R/2 = 12
R = 16
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: One week a certain truck rental lot had a total of 20 trucks, all of [#permalink]
Kudos
I guess the best way to solve this problem in short time is rephrase and/or back solve
1. At least 12 were back on Saturday i.e at max 8 were out on Saturday
2. Now assume 0% instead 50% were returned i.e at max 8 were rented out [we want to have at least 12 on lot i.e we can't rent more than 8 i.e upper limit is fixed]
3. 50% of those 8 were returned = 4 [We want to be at maximum and maximum we can get added to at least 12 is 50% of all rented out, i.e 50% of 8]
4. 12+4=16

Hope this helps
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mniyer wrote:
One week a certain truck rental lot had a total of 20 trucks, all of which were on the lot Monday morning. If 50 percent of the trucks that were rented out during the week were returned to the lot on or before Saturday morning of that week, and if there were at least 12 trucks on the lot that Saturday morning, what is the greatest number of different trucks that could have been rented out during the week?

(A) 18
(B) 16
(C) 12
(D) 8
(E) 4

Can the pundits here please suggest the best possible way to solve this problem?

There are numerous ways in which you can solve this question. Brute force method - if you are not very clear about the relation between rented and non-rented trucks:

I want to maximize the no. of trucks rented so I say - If 20 trucks were rented (i.e. all of them), then we should have 50% i.e. 10 of them back. But we have more; we have at least 12.
So the no. of trucks rented out must be less than 20 (because they cannot be more than 20).
What about 18? If 18 trucks are rented out, 2 remain in the lot through the week. Out of 18, 9 are returned so total 11 are in the lot. But we need at least 12 in the lot.
Let's go further down and try 16. 4 trucks do not leave the lot. Out of 16, 8 come back so we have 12 trucks in the lot.
(As we keep reducing the number of trucks rented out, the total number of trucks in the lot of Saturday morning keeps increasing. We need to maximize the number of trucks rented out which will be at the minimum possible value of total number of trucks in the lot.)

Algebraic approach:
As we increase the number of trucks rented, the total number of trucks in the lot on Saturday morning decreases since out of the rented trucks only 50% come back (while all non-rented trucks stay in the lot i.e. 100% non rented trucks are in the lot on Saturday morning).
(If none of the 20 trucks are rented, the lot will have 20 trucks on Saturday. If 18 trucks are not rented, the lot will have 19 (18 + 1 rented comes back) trucks on Saturday morning.)
So let's make the number of trucks in the lot on Saturday morning equal to 12.
N + R = 20
N + R/2 = 12
R = 16
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I found this way to be simple. Please correct me if I am wrong
Let the rental cabs be R and non rental cabs be N
R + N =20 -- 1 eq.
0.5R+N=12 -- 2 eq.
0.5R + 20-R =12
20-0.5R=12 --> R = 8 *2 = 16
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618886 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
pavanmpv wrote:
I found this way to be simple. Please correct me if I am wrong
Let the rental cabs be R and non rental cabs be N
R + N =20 -- 1 eq.
0.5R+N=12 -- 2 eq.
0.5R + 20-R =12
20-0.5R=12 --> R = 8 *2 = 16

Welcome to Gmat Club.

Your solution is perfectly OK, (it's basically the same as shown in my previous post).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Wow, you guys make it look so easy. I was on this Q for so long. How can I not make this mistake again?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hamburglar wrote:
Wow, you guys make it look so easy. I was on this Q for so long. How can I not make this mistake again?

Try to solve questions without using algebra. That will force you to look at the big picture. You might spend a lot of time on every question initially but the more you practice, the easier it will get.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [3]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Rented Trucks (R)

20-R+.5R>=12
R<=16

B
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [9]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer = (B) 16

Total trucks = 20
Say rented trucks = x
Balance trucks = (20-x)

Half of the rented trucks returned early \(= \frac{x}{2}\) returned

So now the balance trucks are \((20-x) + \frac{x}{2}\)

Availability = 12 trucks, so equating

\(20-x + \frac{x}{2} = 12\)

\(\frac{x}{2} = 8\)

x = 16 = Answer

Originally posted by PareshGmat on 28 Feb 2014, 01:13.
Last edited by PareshGmat on 22 Oct 2014, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [6]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
The difficulty of this problem is the way it has been written. So lets diagonise each sentence and try to make an equation

One week a certain truck rental lot had a total of 20 trucks, all of which were on the lot Monday morning
Total trucks = 20 Day:Monday

If 50 percent of the trucks that were rented out during the week were returned to the lot on or before Saturday morning of that week, and

Lets say 'x' trucks were rented. We can conclude two things :
No. of trucks remaining in lot = 20 - x Day:unknown
No. of trucks returned to lot = 0.5x Day: Various days (at this point we get a hint that days might not be important)

if there were at least 12 trucks on the lot that Saturday morning
No. of truck in lot >= 12 Day:Saturday

what is the greatest number of different trucks that could have been rented out during the week?

No. of trucks rented out i.e. x

It should be fairly easy to analyze

20-x + 0.5x >= 12
20 -0.5x >= 12
0.5x =< 8
x =< 16

Answer B
Difficulty level - 650
Time Taken - 3:29
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
cloaked_vessel wrote:
One week, a certain truck rental lot had a total of 20 trucks, all of which were on the lot Monday morning. If 50% of the trucks that were rented out during the week were returned to the lot on or before Saturday morning of that week, and if there were at least 12 trucks on the lot that Saturday morning, what is the greatest number of different trucks that could have been rented out during the week?

A 18
B 16
C 12
D 8
E 4

There are numerous ways in which you can solve this question. Brute force method if the relation between rented and non-rented trucks in not very clear:

Algebraic approach:
As we increase the number of trucks rented, the total number of trucks in the lot on Saturday morning decreases since out of the rented trucks only 50% come back (while all non-rented trucks stay in the lot).
(e.g If none of the 20 trucks are rented, the lot will have 20 trucks on Saturday. If 18 trucks are not rented, the lot will have 19 (18 + 1 rented comes back) trucks on Saturday morning.)
So maximize the number of trucks rented, we should try to minimize the number of trucks in the lot on Saturday morning i.e. make it 12.
N + R = 20
N + R/2 = 12
R = 16

Hi karishma,

This statement is what gets me "So maximize the number of trucks rented, we should try to minimize the number of trucks in the lot on Saturday morning i.e. make it 12."

Logically speaking, since 50% of the trucks do return back, therefore to maximize the number of trucks rented, we should also maximize the number of returned trucks, at least that's what I put together. Which means that if I want to maximize the number of trucks that were rented, then i need to minimize the number of trucks that were NOT rented, but you are using a different approach?

Can you please explain why my logic is flawed?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:

Hi karishma,

This statement is what gets me "So maximize the number of trucks rented, we should try to minimize the number of trucks in the lot on Saturday morning i.e. make it 12."

Logically speaking, since 50% of the trucks do return back, therefore to maximize the number of trucks rented, we should also maximize the number of returned trucks, at least that's what I put together. Which means that if I want to maximize the number of trucks that were rented, then i need to minimize the number of trucks that were NOT rented, but you are using a different approach?

Can you please explain why my logic is flawed?

Why do the number of trucks go down? The ones which are not rented stay there. Out of the ones which are rented, only half come back. So if more trucks are rented, the dent in the number of trucks on Sat morning will be more.
If no trucks are rented, there will be 20 trucks on Sat morning.
If all trucks are rented, there will be only 10 trucks on Sat morning.

So as you rent more and more trucks out, you will be left with fewer trucks on Sat morning...(ranging from 20 to 10)
So if we minimize the number of trucks on Sat morning, we will maximize the no of trucks rented.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [2]
Given Kudos: 224
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos

A 18
B 16
C 12
D 8
E 4

SOLUTION

Max # of trucks has to be even number. One can calculate starting from 20, 18, 16...

For 20: If all out in week and 50% return then 10 should be in the lot
For 18: If 18 are out and 50% return, so 9 + 2 = 11 should be in the lot
For 16: If 16 are out and 50% return, so 8 + 4 = 12 should be in the lot

ANSWER: B
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [5]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This problem seems difficult at the first glance because of the lengthy sentences in which the information has been conveyed. In questions like this, it's a good idea to try and represent the given information visually as you go through each sentence of the question. Here's one mode of visually representing the information given here:

The trucks on the lot on the Saturday morning = (Trucks that were not rented) + (Trucks that were rented and returned by Saturday)
= \((20-r) + (\frac{r}{2})\)

As given:

\((20-r) + (\frac{r}{2})\) > = 12

Upon solving this inequality, we get: r < = 16

Thus, the maximum possible number of rented trucks = 16

Hope this was useful!

Japinder
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Quick question-- I have noted some of the Quant questions on the Quant OG tend to be worded more poorly or ambiguously than the full comprehensive OG (such as question 110 about a clock), is this because they are older questions. Are current questions that appear on the exam a bit more clear than this, or should we be fully prepared to see this type of phrasing?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi aguirrestom,

The GMAT has gone through several 'iterations' over the last 15+ years, so what you're noticing is the logical 'progression' of the material - the question writers have become more consistent in the ways that they word questions, the 'testing phase' for each question is more sophisticated (and rigorous) and certain 'patterns' have been phased out over time.

As such, for the most realistic practice, you should be sticking to more recent materials (and avoiding questionable sources for practice content).

To answer your question though, you're not likely to run across many (if any) questions on Test Day that are poorly worded.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This question can be solved in a couple of different ways. Here's how you can solve it by TESTing THE ANSWERS.

We're told given a number of facts to work with:
1) A rental lot had a total of 20 trucks on the lot (on Monday).
2) Of the trucks that were rented out during the week, 50% of the team were returned on (or before) Saturday.
3) At least 12 trucks were on the last on Saturday.

We're asked for the GREATEST number of trucks that could have been rented out during that week.

Since the prompt asks for the GREATEST number, let's TEST Answer A first...

IF....18 trucks were rented out....
20-18 = 2 were NOT rented out
50%(18) = 9 were returned by Saturday
2+9 = 11 trucks --> This does NOT match what we were told (there are supposed to be 12 trucks on the lot).
Eliminate Answer A

Next, let's TEST Answer B....

IF....16 trucks were rented out....
20-16 = 4 were NOT rented out
50%(16) = 8 were returned by Saturday
4+8 = 12 trucks --> This DOES match what we were told, so this MUST be the answer.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts