Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Fuqua (Accepted), Ross (Dinged), Haas (Dinged), Goizueta (Accepted), Boston University (Accepted), USC Marshall (Accepted)
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink]
Round 2 here.... USC Alum as well

Any other USC alums on here? How are we faring after round 1?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
BeautifulMind2011 wrote:
Updated Roll call.

I have my interview tomorrow and will definitely post details on that.

Best of luck to you! Eagerly awaiting to hear about how your interview goes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
brendo wrote:

R1 decisions will be out on 2/1. Patiently waiting here.
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Count me in for R2. I didn't know Marshall requires TOEFL. Driving 6 hours to san luis on 21st for an early morning appointment. I hope they get my score before its too late.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Sloan(WL), Johnson(Int-Waiting)
Send PM
Does anyone know the specific letter of recommendation questions?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:USC, UCLA
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ankur17 wrote:
Count me in for R2. I didn't know Marshall requires TOEFL. Driving 6 hours to san luis on 21st for an early morning appointment. I hope they get my score before its too late.

Tell me about it! I am an alumni and have submitted TOEFL score to them once. Have to do it again! Driving from LA to Bakersfield to take the test this Saturday :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Anderson (In-Declined), GSB (Ding), Haas (In!- matriculating), Marshall (In w/ $$$ - Declined)
GPA: 3.6 Chem Eng
WE 1: 2 yr Management consulting
WE 2: 2 yr Product Management - tech
Send PM
socalscool wrote:
ankur17 wrote:

Tell me about it! I am an alumni and have submitted TOEFL score to them once. Have to do it again! Driving from LA to Bakersfield to take the test this Saturday :(

Just so I'm clear TOEFL is only for international students from non-English speaking countries correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
socalscool wrote:
ankur17 wrote:

That does not sound right.
From their website: "All international applicants who did not earn a bachelor’s degree from a university in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic. We do not accept scores from the International English Language Testing System( IELTS) exam."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Send PM
For essay #2, I wanted to talk about clubs and networking with companies etc. However, I thought again about the question, and I believe they are looking for me to explain how my various internship or work experiences will enhance the MBA community.
Do you guys think I concluded it right here? I did not submit my application yet.
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
socalscool wrote:
ankur17 wrote:

just saw an available date in LA on 15th. Changed my appointment .. 60$ more .. I'm happy don't have to drive 6 hours
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
SuitUp wrote:
socalscool wrote:
ankur17 wrote:

That does not sound right.
From their website: "All international applicants who did not earn a bachelor’s degree from a university in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic. We do not accept scores from the International English Language Testing System( IELTS) exam."

I did my Masters from there
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ankur17 wrote:
socalscool wrote:
ankur17 wrote:

just saw an available date in LA on 15th. Changed my appointment .. 60$ more .. I'm happy don't have to drive 6 hours

Awesome! 60 bucks is totally worth it. I see that there is still jan 21 available to LA. do u think its ok if i take the test then or will it be too late and i should just suck it up and drive to Bakersfield.
Current Student
Send PM
efet wrote:
For essay #2, I wanted to talk about clubs and networking with companies etc. However, I thought again about the question, and I believe they are looking for me to explain how my various internship or work experiences will enhance the MBA community.
Do you guys think I concluded it right here? I did not submit my application yet.

I'm toying around with the same issue. I think Clear Admit's guide puts it the best..

Clear Admit wrote:
Essay 2: How will other USC Marshall MBA students benefit from your background, experience, leadership and teamwork skills? (500 words)
Although many applicants end their career goals essay discussing the contributions they would make to a school’s program, USC Marshall’s new second essay question specifically asks candidates to address the ways in which they can give back to the school. This prompt is fairly broad, but applicants should remember to select unique information about their backgrounds, experiences, leadership and teamwork skills to help them stand out to the adcom. Rather than simply addressing how they will contribute to courses, applicants should think of other avenues through which their skills and past experiences would allow them to benefit their fellow students at USC Marshall, i.e. clubs, programs. In such a short essay, it’s probably best to focus your discussion to two or three topics. The emphasis on leadership and teamwork indicates that candidates focus their essay on benefitting other students through collaboration and effective leadership.

My essay touches on the class/curriculum and networking a bit and for the rest of it I'm trying to focus in on clubs and other stuff that I would do in at USC (host massive tailgate parties).
USC 2011 Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
Schools:USC Marshall $$, BU $$, UCLA
 Q47  V39
GPA: 3.75
WE 1: 5 years
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview yesterday ... I must say it was most casual than what I have had before for other schools... The admissions lady didnot have any idea about my application so I assume it was a blind interview.. I gave my resume and she started with teh usual question -

Tell me about yourself - which I took was more on personal details.
Then I just guided my answer to career path. She had some questions specific to my work.
Then why MBA
Why marshall
What will you bring to Marshall
most intertesting question - What is one thing that someone would mistake about you when they meet you first.
The best advice your mentor has ever given you.
Something in your career that you could back and change ( a situation)

any questions for adcom.

The most surprising thing to me was that teh adcom did not take any notes so I am not sure how she was going to remember all that I spoke in half an hour :)

Overall a relaxed conversational and interesting interview.

All teh best to everyone else!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
sharksr1 wrote:
Does anyone know the specific letter of recommendation questions?

My recommender told me there were a couple short answer boxes and then a general recommendation to upload.

I don't know the short answer questions though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
brendo wrote:

i am alum as well, from marshall no less..will be submitting for r2. i am really excited about the fee waiver for alum..
Current Student
Send PM
Submitted R2. That's all folks!!
GMAT Club Bot