Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all CBS deferred ED applicants! [#permalink]
carriedinterest wrote:
I heard the same. From the official CBS thread, it looks like two people received decisions last Friday. I sent a significant update to the adcom earlier this week, and have been staring at my phone all day...

Cool. Best of luck to both of us. Here's hoping that we both get in!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Kudos
carriedinterest wrote:
I heard the same. From the official CBS thread, it looks like two people received decisions last Friday. I sent a significant update to the adcom earlier this week, and have been staring at my phone all day...

I had a sort of follow up interview with a woman from the adcom on Wednesday. I am one hundred percent strung out over this. Sigh. Ring, you damn phone, RING!!!! :? :(
Current Student
Send PM
How did your follow-up interview go? If you don't mind sharing, what kinds of questions did they ask you?

Totally understand where you're coming from...literally finding it impossible to concentrate on anything else!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The interview went really well. The woman I spoke with was easy going, turns out she and I both ran the NYC marathon this year which was a great topic for conversation! The discussion overall was very relaxed. We hit some great points about my work experience, my interest in getting an MBA, my career goals, what I loved about Columbia, my visit to campus etc. It was much more of a casual chat than a formal interview.

At the end, she gave me the same shpeel that we got in the deferred letter, outlining the various ways we can show our continued commitment to CBS - visit the campus (which I did back in November), re-take the GMAT, or write them another essay to expand on any updates or areas that weren't covered in my application. I had already written a follow up essay after having received the deferral so I'm covered there as well.

She seemed really upbeat in her follow up email after the phone call (yes, she emailed ME first after we got off the phone) and said "You can expect to hear from us soon." WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!

All my friends are telling me to STOP OBSESSING, but I tell you... I just can't.
Current Student
Send PM
That sounds promising! Based on what I've read in the main CBS thread, the success rate after a follow-up interview is very high. It sounds like you've got somebody rooting for you internally, so I'd take that as an extremely positive sign.

Really hoping for some news today. The thought of waiting until February 1st is torturous. What counts as "soon" to the adcom feels like an eternity to us applicants...
Current Student
Send PM
cidneymba2011 wrote:
The interview went really well. The woman I spoke with was easy going, turns out she and I both ran the NYC marathon this year which was a great topic for conversation! The discussion overall was very relaxed. We hit some great points about my work experience, my interest in getting an MBA, my career goals, what I loved about Columbia, my visit to campus etc. It was much more of a casual chat than a formal interview.

At the end, she gave me the same shpeel that we got in the deferred letter, outlining the various ways we can show our continued commitment to CBS - visit the campus (which I did back in November), re-take the GMAT, or write them another essay to expand on any updates or areas that weren't covered in my application. I had already written a follow up essay after having received the deferral so I'm covered there as well.

She seemed really upbeat in her follow up email after the phone call (yes, she emailed ME first after we got off the phone) and said "You can expect to hear from us soon." WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!

All my friends are telling me to STOP OBSESSING, but I tell you... I just can't.

I tell you, AdComs love playing mind games and get a great kick from our reactions. :) All we can do is just sit tight and pray lady luck is on our side.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I'm also a deferred ED applicant. Do any of you know if someone from the deferred list had been accepted?
Current Student
Send PM
california1 wrote:
I'm also a deferred ED applicant. Do any of you know if someone from the deferred list had been accepted?

i believe princessneha and another female applicant (can't recall the name right now) on the main CBS thread were accepted recently.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
josiebella got in by calling the admissions office. HA.

Not that I'm bitter about it or anything :|
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wow that's interesting (to be admitted by calling CBS admin office)
Current Student
Send PM
Any developments for anyone here? I know that cidneymba got the call last week (congrats!), but I don't think there's been any additional movement for deferred EDs over the past two weeks. Starting to worry that they're just going to send out a wave of dings on Feb 1.

Somebody mentioned that they had been in contact with their "waitlist manager" throughout the deferral period. Is this just the person mentioned in the deferral letter to whom we sent notice of our desire to keep our candidacy active?
Current Student
Send PM
carriedinterest wrote:
Any developments for anyone here? I know that cidneymba got the call last week (congrats!), but I don't think there's been any additional movement for deferred EDs over the past two weeks. Starting to worry that they're just going to send out a wave of dings on Feb 1.

Somebody mentioned that they had been in contact with their "waitlist manager" throughout the deferral period. Is this just the person mentioned in the deferral letter to whom we sent notice of our desire to keep our candidacy active?

I believe this is the same person, but I'm not sure. As for "continual" contact, I think this is dependent on the "waitlist manager". Can princessneha, cidney, josiebella, and others confirm?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I called the admissions office a couple of days ago and they mentioned that so far, they haven't accepted anyone from the ED deferral list. I'm starting to doubt princessneha, cidney, josiebella honesty. princessneha, cidney, josiebella Can you share the acceptance email you recieved from CBS with us?

Based on my conversation, it seams to me that they will not make any decision until Feb 1st.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Columbia ED (Deferred), Yale SOM (Accepted), Stern (WL), Tuck, Wharton (Ding)
Send PM
carriedinterest wrote:

add me to the list. assuming the WL manager is the same person mentioned in the deferral letter, I've heard different things about the level of contact. My buddy got taken off the deferral list last year - but his WL manager provided specific feedback on his app and suggested the topic for his follow-up essay. My guy told me that unfortunately he couldnt provide any specific feedback. I just send in a pretty decent update essay, but am not currently stressing it much. I thankfully got in somewhere else, so CBS is all upside at this point. That said, it would be pretty sweet if i get "the call" over the next few weeks..lord knows i poured my soul into this application!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
california1 wrote:
I called the admissions office a couple of days ago and they mentioned that so far, they haven't accepted anyone from the ED deferral list. I'm starting to doubt princessneha, cidney, josiebella honesty. princessneha, cidney, josiebella Can you share the acceptance email you recieved from CBS with us?

Based on my conversation, it seams to me that they will not make any decision until Feb 1st.

Hahah, come on guys, why would we lie?! I was contacted by a young woman from the AdCom last week to touch base and have a follow up interview. She was then the person to contact me last friday by phone to let me know of my acceptance. I then got the status update on the online app with the official letter saying, "On behalf of the Admissions Committee and after careful review and consideration, we are pleased to offer you admission to the Columbia Business School entering class of 2011 for the term beginning August 2011. Congratulations and welcome to Columbia Business School!"

Is that convincing enough? :wink:

Definitely don't want to rub it in your faces or anything, but would love to help in any way I can.... Good luck guys!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I guess that seams convincing...
Current Student
Send PM
california1 wrote:

That's a harsh (and frankly unwarranted) accusation. The initial deferral letter clearly stated that while all decisions will be made by February 1, candidates may be notified at any time. We're all tired of the wait, but there's no reason to be nasty.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts