Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Booth R1, Tuck, Ross
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: waitlisted twice [#permalink]
bakfed wrote:
waitlistdud wrote:
waitlisted to two top 7 schools and rejected at three 10-15 this year. I don't have to go this year. If I don't get in this year what range of schools should I be targeting for next year? Is top 7 my range? or should I go below top 15?

Care to share a bit more about your information? If you have a 2.1 GPA and a 450 GMAT, I personally would suggest looking below top 15. Not saying that you have those stat, but as you can see it'll make others' lives a bit easier to give suggestions. :-D

mid 600's gmat perfect GPA not a big name school
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mjb wrote:
Don't give up all hope just yet simply because you're on the WL. If I were you I wouldn't start thinking about next year's applications until much much later. I'm all for being prepared but there's still a lot you can do this year!

You should start by really reviewing all your applications; try to understand why you were dinged (were there any gaps, did you do a good enough job demonstrating your 'fit' with the school) and then see if you've made similar mistakes in your applications that got you on to the WL. Seeing as you made it to the WL, you probably haven't raised any red flags (e.g. GMAT, GPA etc.) and I'm guessing you've most likely been interviewed. That means it most likely about how unique you seem or perhaps your fit with the school. Make sure you really understand the qualities the school is looking for in its students and see if those qualities came out in your essays. If not, think about how you could get another recommendation or other evidence that shows you have those traits that were missing. Uniqueness is probably a bit harder to address; you should just make sure that your application was complete in terms of both what you've done and what you learnt from those experiences.

If you really believe your applications are perfect, and they contain everything that the adcom's want to know about you, then I would spend a little time writing a letter explaining why that school is the right one for you (and why you are right for that school). If you've had the opportunity to visit the schools then it might be a good idea to talk about the things that you saw or experienced and how that made you certain is was the school for you. Otherwise, maybe try to get in touch with some current students and find out a bit more about life at the school before writing the letter.

At the end of the day, if do a good job with whatever you send in it's not going to hurt your application, and a bit of extra work now might save you the hassle of applying again next year.

thanks for the advice. actually my gmat was mid 600's and neither school interviewed me. bth were waitlists without interview
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Some schools may even offer suggestions to increase your chance of re-application come spring time. If you haven't received any positive words by then, I'd highly recommend you to utilize that source. Seeing that you're waitlisted, you must have a good enough of an application (but may just be lacking a bit of wow-factor). If you're below par in comparison to what the schools are looking for, they would've 'ding-ed' you right away. So for that, know that you're in the hunt. If I were you, I'd see if you can boost up the GMAT score a bit to a 700; it just may help with admission. Top schools have become harder and harder to get in, and most school's averages are around 700. With a mid-600 score, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. See if that's an option for you at this point. If not, think about what your essays are conveying to the schools. Are the essays aligned with the spirit of the school? I know being waitlisted is such a drag, but feel fortunate that you're at least doing something right to not get that ding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi waitlistdud. Thank you for sharing a great question.

If you are looking for ways to elevate your wait list status and boost your overall candidacy, please consider our professional group, USA Leadership Corps (www.usaLeadershipCorps.org) .

USALC partners with pre-MBAs who are looking to enhance their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement resumes by facilitating part-time volunteer nonprofit strategy consulting projects.

Thank you & good luck.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps
GMAT Club Bot