Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [4]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep Books vs Manhattan GMAT Books [#permalink]
Thanks again BB for the great info, really grateful. At the moment I can't afford to purchase all 9 Veritas quant guides but I would be happy to get a good number of the books as long as they add to the knowledge I've gained from the MGMAT guides.

The problem is I can't find any detailed info on the contents of each book. But I think it is safe to assume that the three Veritas books ("Data Sufficiency", "Combinatorics & Probability" and "Statistics & Problem Solving" books) would offer a new approach for me as the Manhattan guides don't go into too much detail. So I will get these. I am tempted to get the Veritas "Advanced Word Problems & Quantitative Review" but fear that its content may be very similar to MGMAT's Word Translations.

Out of the remaining 4 Veritas books, do you think I am right in assuming that:

>Veritas "Math Essentials" book is adequately covered by MGMAT's "Foundations", "Number Properties" and "Fractions, Decimals & Percents" books
>Veritas "Arithmetic" book covered by MGMAT's "Foundations", "Number Properties" and "Fractions, Decimals & Percents"
>Veritas "Algebra" book covered by MGMAT's "Equations, Inequalities, VICs" book
>Veritas "Geometry" book covered by MGMAT's "Geometry" book.

By 'adequately covered' I mean the concepts/theory are basically the same in both books, clearly the standard of questions in each book will be different.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
is the Vertias word problems book good?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Regarding the MGMAT CAT tests. If you buy one book, you already get six tests. So if I would buy two books separately I would receive two times six tests? Or eight times if I order the the entire box set? Or do you have to register and can do this only once?

I'm kind of confused...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
TheMB: You get six tests irrespective of how many books you buy. They are the same tests, but if you buy the books separately, you might be able to let someone else utilize your tests if you keep the code intact. If you get the set of their books, you still get only 6 tests. I don't think it's 6 unique tests per book.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
I had both as well, used each set heavily, in my opinion MGMAT wins, I did reach for Veritas to help with personal knowledge gaps that Manhattan happened to be light on (SC, Combinatorics etc)

Veritas goes VERY in depth about DS. Which is great considering MGMAT does not.

Both of these sets together can be a very power, yet expensive, combo
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
I think Veritas Probability and Combination book is unique! MGMAT don't have any such book. But then only few questions come from P&C!! Also, Veritas has separate guide for AWA, overall I like the Veritas guides.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
thanks for the post. I an a beginner and i intend taking the test once and scoring high, which of these bks should i buy, veritas or manhattan that would be most helpful?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, the first post was kind of addressing that... you won't be making a mistake with either.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
- Guides are intermingled (not my favorite way of studying). It goes like this: Arguments, Arithmetic, CR, Algebra, SC.... I prefer to focus on Math or Verbal and drive it home (but this is me)

- Coverage of DS throughout vs a dedicated DS book (probably not a big deal/difference but I felt having DS interspersed was better)

bb, I don't think you wanted to make this on purpose but after reading the first post one can get the impression that the Veritas Prep books don't use DS questions outside the specific book. Actually, on all other books (Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Combinatorics & Probability, Advanced Word Problems and Quant Review) PS and DS questions are interspersed, but you will get ONLY DS questions in the DS book, and only PS questions in the Statistics and PS book (excluding the Statistics problem set that contain some DS questions). I think it's really good that you get a specific book to address DS tackling techniques. But you get to practice DS before while studying every section.

I wouldn't say having the math and verbal books intermingled is a disadvantage . They are numbered this way because the classes follow that order. But if you use the books for self studying, of course you can study them in the order that you prefer.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you Cano!

I checked the books and there are actually DS questions mindled in other books (just a handful but they are there)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
To build on the foundation and basics, what would you suggest bb? I think the MGMAT practice tests are great, but i'm not really sold on their books!!!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
qweert wrote:
To build on the foundation and basics, what would you suggest bb? I think the MGMAT practice tests are great, but i'm not really sold on their books!!!

Sure, I have prepped with Kaplan books and I think those were great for my needs (not as detailed as MGMAT but I probably did not need all those details). Did you find something that worked well for you?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
I'm planning on taking the exam in a month, and am currently enrolled in Veritas Prep with the books. I've also been working through the OG guide. I was wondering if it's worth it to get the MGMAT guides in addition to the prep I'm already doing, or if the work will be confusing/redundant. Right now my weakest areas are sentence correction and data sufficiency.

Let me know if I can provide any more info. Thanks :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
StudyOn, I am trying to decide which Online Prep course to take either Veritas or Manhattan? Reviewing the two: Veritas offers more full length tests than Manhattan with more "unlimited" telephonic support. Otherwise, they apply to be very similar. Do you find this to be true? Would you recommend Veritas to one of your friends?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [3]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Kudos