Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:INSEAD Class of J'12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink]
There was a good article in the FT (24 Jan, Business Education) about the Border Agency's new Tier 1 and Tier 2 visas for internationals outside the EU post graduation. Obviously Bschool deans are unhappy and up in arms, some lobbying under way. But a turnaround is unlikely in the current political climate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
btw, "international people" in the UK does not include European people, thus they don't compete for the visas
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
yeah, if one is a citizen of the European union, he/she doesnt need a VISA>
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Guys, while all of you are thinking about the future of international student work visa regulations, its worthwhile to go on the UK Home Office web site and take part in their survey, they posted to get public opinion on current regulations and propositions on changes. This survey will let you learn more about current regulations and will give you all an opportunity to vote against proposed changes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
As i posted on the London Business School 2011 Thread,

Guys, no need to worry... check what LBS sent to its current students:

As non-EU students will be well aware, the Home Office is currently drafting reforms to Tier 1 General and Tier 2 visas. It is also in the consultation stage on reforms to Tier 4 and Tier 1 Post Study Work visas. The consultation is still underway, and there are still many unanswered questions, but we wanted to update you on what we know at this stage and what the School is doing to try and influence the situation.

Along with the Dean, we have met with the UK Border Agency and immigration lawyers to discuss the Home Office's consultation. We continue to work closely with recruiters to help them understand the potential consequences of the changes.

Although it is not definite at this stage, it looks likely that there will be a phased introduction of the new arrangements. If the Tier 1 Post Study Work visa is discontinued, it seems probable that those graduating in 2011 will not be affected. The School will lobby for this change to be phased in over a longer period to try and ensure that those graduating in subsequent years will not be impacted, but there is no certainty at this stage. Another major focus for the School is lobbying for students who are already on a Tier 4 visa to be able to transfer to a sponsored Tier 2 visa without counting towards the employer's cap.

The School and the Student Association have each prepared a response to the Home Office's consultation document, detailing our arguments against the proposed reforms. The consultation period closes on Monday 31 January.

Immigration lawyer briefing session

Fragomen, a leading immigration law firm, will be holding a further briefing session for students to update you on the latest developments. This session has been provisionally booked for Friday 18 February - please look out for more details and reserve your place on Career Central.

To see copies of past communications about the immigration reforms, please visit Portal > Career Services home page > Visa/immigration.

Please rest assured that the School is taking this issue extremely seriously and working hard to ensure the Home Office really understands our concerns. We will continue to update you as soon as more information becomes available.

Best wishes,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The Tier 1/2 changes will affect MBAs and after the introduction of the last Labour administration, the current Tory/LD administration would like to scale back the level of immigration, particularly on low skilled level. MBAs who invested $50,000 in tuition fee alone are unlikely to end up being unemployed. To my knowledge, the current quota for Tier 1 is 38,000. Deans advocate that applicants with jobs of 30,000 plus p.a. should be eligible for visas. Does the Home Office agree?

The Immigration Minister D. Green took a tougher public stance in recent interviews and argued that local jobs should be filled with British and EU graduates first. There will be some changes in the UK Border Agency's rules given the current political climate and pre election manifesto.

I would add that the consultation is in full swing with some serious lobbying. Bschools argue that foreign students bring income to the economy and create jobs in higher education. Point out that other countries (France, Canada) may hoover up foreign students. Benefits of good will in growing economies in EE and Asia.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Tories have cut benefits, increased taxes and generally made the masses worse off, something that people weren't unaware of before they voted. Memories of last years of Thatcher and Major are still alive. Even then they voted Tories in. Primarily for one reason: the Tory immigration policy.

Failing to show progress on that front means another long winter of opposition in Parliament for the Tories. Unfortunately, stopping immigration is something they cannot do one year before elections. Outsiders have to be denied entry now for there to be a visible change in 2015. All it means a very tough time for outsiders in UK.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General
Schools:HBS (R2), LBS (R2), Wharton (R2), GSB (R2), Sloan (R2)
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 3 yrs - MNC Bank
WE 2: 3.5 yrs - MNC Bank
Send PM
I think the new visa proposals may impact chances of non-EU students getting into LBS and the % intake may fall. I guess LBS may do this because if the proposals come into effect, it may be left with a big bunch of unemployed students in 2013 thus impacting its ratings.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Ankeet wrote:
I think the new visa proposals may impact chances of non-EU students getting into LBS and the % intake may fall. I guess LBS may do this because if the proposals come into effect, it may be left with a big bunch of unemployed students in 2013 thus impacting its ratings.

Ankeet, that's a brilliant thought! It does make sense for the UK programs to either cut the number of intake places (less likely i guess) or to simply balance the intake towards EU nationals.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:INSEAD Class of J'12
Send PM
I don't think so LBS or any other "good" UK schools will have the problem.

As the limit of work permits are proposed to apply for people earning less than £40,000. And come on, if you come out of LBS/Oxford/Cambrdige and earn less than £40k than there is something wrong.

OR good UK schools start marketing their students to alumni outside the EU more, LBS has good international pool.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
cpandya14 wrote:
I don't think so LBS or any other "good" UK schools will have the problem.

As the limit of work permits are proposed to apply for people earning less than £40,000. And come on, if you come out of LBS/Oxford/Cambrdige and earn less than £40k than there is something wrong.

OR good UK schools start marketing their students to alumni outside the EU more, LBS has good international pool.

If the 40K requirement is a replacement for Tier 1 then let's make this clear. They ask you to show earnings of 40K for last 12 months. Coming out of uni, there ain't no way you could show that earning.

To restate the blooming obvious: No place for non-EU in UK.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools:LBS 2013, Foster, McCombs, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas (Interview, w/d), Fuqua (Interview, w/d)
 Q49  V49
GPA: 3.625
Send PM
This isn't 100% related, but does anybody have any insight/info on permission to work rights for dependents on Tier 4 student visas? As it stands right now, dependents are granted permission to work if the sponsor's program is more than 12 months. This clause in the Tier 4 visa program is potentially on the chopping block. I ask because I'm planning on attending LBS this fall, and without automatic permission to work for my wife, her career could be seriously disrupted and financing would be much more difficult.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Those thinking that the Home Office will exempt MBAs with 40,000 GBP income p.a. from the cull. The latest statement still insists a cull in student visas, particularly pre degree courses are affected. But the figure of graduate student visa cull still stands with a cut of 20% for non EU students.

Primary targets of fast track visas are high end net worth investors with 5-10m GBP UK investment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Schools:LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I guess a lot of questions that people have will be answered on reading this speech by damian green

https://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... ion-reform

I feel LBS should not be impacted too much as I am assuming it would be a part of the "highly trusted sponsors" group mentioned in the speech. The aim of these reforms is mainly to curb abuse of the current visa policies and not to ban non EUs to work in UK. If they do that it will have an impact on their school's ranking as well as on the revenue they generate. Having said that, you really never know what they may decide so fingers crossed and hoping that the final policy is in our favour.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbaaspirant11 wrote:
I guess a lot of questions that people have will be answered on reading this speech by damian green

I feel LBS should not be impacted too much as I am assuming it would be a part of the "highly trusted sponsors" group mentioned in the speech. The aim of these reforms is mainly to curb abuse of the current visa policies and not to ban non EUs to work in UK. If they do that it will have an impact on their school's ranking as well as on the revenue they generate. Having said that, you really never know what they may decide so fingers crossed and hoping that the final policy is in our favour.

Positive speech for LBS!
indeed, fingers crossed
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools:LBS 2013, Foster, McCombs, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas (Interview, w/d), Fuqua (Interview, w/d)
 Q49  V49
GPA: 3.625
Send PM
mbaaspirant11 wrote:

Certainly cause for some optimism. My main hope is that, should they remove dependent's right to work, they'll still allow for dependents on Highly Trusted Sponsor visas to work. I don't know if that's wishful thinking at present.

Based on my own feelings, hindering partners' ability to work and continue their own careers, not to mention significantly increasing the financial burden, is a significant disincentive to attend LBS or any other UK program over 12 months. Forcing dependents to acquire their own Tier 2 visa is hardly a consolation given how difficult and limited they are to obtain.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
People

I read tons of material from the UK homeoffice and other public sources. One thing is unclear though: Did the government commit to any certain date when they would know what exact changes they are bringing in?

I would want to know for sure before I pay my deposit.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6