Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

What school would you go to?

50% [25]
42% [21]
2% [1]
4% [2]
2% [1]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Top 20 B-School: Cost vs Ranking [#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
what do you want to do post MBA and where do you want to be?

I am looking into Consulting or Entrepreneurship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Concentration: Intl Business, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden, Fuqua, Booth, McCombs, Kelley, Kenan-Flagler
 Q49  V48
GPA: 3.75
WE 1: 3 yrs - Tech Marketing, then International Development
Send PM
Kudos
I applied to several of those schools as well and have been having the same cost vs ranking dilemma. I will say one thing-- most people who say "Go where you want and worry about money later" are on the front end of things. Post- MBA professionals usually have a different take, though not always. If you look at ROI for some top schools, it's reeeeeeally long, like Chicago Booth, at 14 years. So money should not be the only factor, but as a business investment, it should be A factor.

Second, look at where you want to work, geographically speaking. That's where your alumni network will be strongest as well as brand recognition for your school. For example, I am originally from Atlanta, where Emory, Duke, and Vanderbilt are super strong brand names. When I told my friend I got a big scholarship at Darden as well as Vanderbilt, her reaction was: "You got into Vanderbilt?!" Point being- everyone else in the world hasn't spent the last 6 months agonizing over lists of rankings like we all have.

Darden is a fantastic school and well recognized. However, one of my buddies from California got a full-tuition offer there, but he's concerned because his friends in California aren't familiar with the U of Virginia. Almost all schools are regional to some extent. However, some of that is by choice, as they draw regional students who prefer to stay in the area. Just take it into consideration. You are not limited by your school or location, and having a lot less debt may give you more freedom after graduation to take the job you really want over the job that pays more but isn't where you want to be.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts