Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: For every point (a, b) on Line 1, there is a corresponding point [#permalink]
sorry, here is the equation of my interest :

The equation of line 2 is \(\frac{y - 0}{\frac{1}{2} - 0} = \frac{x - 1}{0 - 1}\) or \(2y = 1 - x\) .
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: For every point (a, b) on Line 1, there is a corresponding point [#permalink]
Mackieman wrote:
The formula for finding the slope of a line is (change in y)/(change in x)

In your case, two coordinates (1,0) and (0,1/2) where (x,y)

(0-1/2)/(1-0) = -1/2 which is the slope of the line. The common formula for a line is y = kx + m where k is the slope and m is the y-intercept.

The first coordinate (1,0) tells us that when y = 0 x = 1, which is the y-intercept or 'm' in the formula y = kx+m where m is the intercept and 'k' is the slope. Pluggin in the slope (-1/2) and the intercept (1) into the formula gives ut y = 1-(x/2)

y- intercept is at x=0 as i know. so y= 1/2 when x=0 Am i missing something?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
tinki wrote:
Mackieman wrote:
The formula for finding the slope of a line is (change in y)/(change in x)

In your case, two coordinates (1,0) and (0,1/2) where (x,y)

(0-1/2)/(1-0) = -1/2 which is the slope of the line. The common formula for a line is y = kx + m where k is the slope and m is the y-intercept.

The first coordinate (1,0) tells us that when y = 0 x = 1, which is the y-intercept or 'm' in the formula y = kx+m where m is the intercept and 'k' is the slope. Pluggin in the slope (-1/2) and the intercept (1) into the formula gives ut y = 1-(x/2)

y- intercept is at x=0 as i know. so y= 1/2 when x=0 Am i missing something?

Sorry, you are correct, I had a rough day yesterday ;-) I hope it makes sense now.
(edited my post above)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618816 [3]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tinki wrote:
For every point \((a, b)\) lying on line 1, point \((b, -a)\) lies on line 2. If the equation of line 1 is \(y = 2x + 1\) , what is the equation of line 2 ?

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - m18#24

* \(y = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{x}{2}\)
* \(2y = 1 - x\)
* \(\frac{x + y}{2} = -1\)
* \(y = \frac{x}{2} - 1\)
* \(x = 2y + 1\)

Find two points on line 2 and use their coordinates to build the line's equation. Points \((0, 1)\) and \((-\frac{1}{2}, 0)\) on line 1 correspond to points \((1, 0)\) and \((0, \frac{1}{2})\) on line 2. The equation of line 2 is \(\frac{y - 0}{\frac{1}{2} - 0} = \frac{x - 1}{0 - 1}\) or \(2y = 1 - x\) .
The correct answer is B.

i cant understand what the formula used here for building equation line 2. Can somebody explain? what is the Formula ?
thank you

Check this: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html (chapter "Lines in Coordinate Geometry").
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I saw the link. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!! + kudo from me

GREAT JOB !!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
tinki wrote:
For every point \((a, b)\) lying on line 1, point \((b, -a)\) lies on line 2. If the equation of line 1 is \(y = 2x + 1\) , what is the equation of line 2 ?

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - m18#24

* \(y = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{x}{2}\)
* \(2y = 1 - x\)
* \(\frac{x + y}{2} = -1\)
* \(y = \frac{x}{2} - 1\)
* \(x = 2y + 1\)

Find two points on line 2 and use their coordinates to build the line's equation. Points \((0, 1)\) and \((-\frac{1}{2}, 0)\) on line 1 correspond to points \((1, 0)\) and \((0, \frac{1}{2})\) on line 2. The equation of line 2 is \(\frac{y - 0}{\frac{1}{2} - 0} = \frac{x - 1}{0 - 1}\) or \(2y = 1 - x\) .
The correct answer is B.

i cant understand what the formula used here for building equation line 2. Can somebody explain? what is the Formula ?
thank you

Check this: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html (chapter "Lines in Coordinate Geometry").

bunuel/Karishma

This is how I solved and it worked but I don't know why it worked :D Please enligthen me about why it worked...

I plugged in (a,b) in line 1 equeation to get b=2a+1..

then I started plugging in (b,-a) in the answer choices.. the 2nd answer choice resulted in b=2a+1.. and hence I marked B..
I am not sure why this worked.. Please help. .
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sachin9 wrote:
I plugged in (a,b) in line 1 equeation to get b=2a+1..

then I started plugging in (b,-a) in the answer choices.. the 2nd answer choice resulted in b=2a+1.. and hence I marked B..
I am not sure why this worked.. Please help. .

Responding to a pm:

a and b stand for two numbers which define a co-ordinate on the plane. When you say that (a, b) lies on y = 2x+1, it means the relation between a and b is b = 2a + 1. e.g. if a = 0, b = 1; if a = 1, b = 3... At the end of the day, a line is nothing but a depiction of how one variable changes with another. A line just shows you the relation between 2 variables.

If (b, -a) lies on a line 2y = 1-x, this is just a different way of expressing the same relation between the two numbers a and b.
a and b are the same set of numbers (i.e. if a = 0, b = 1; if a = 1, b = 3...)
So after manipulating the equation a little, you are bound to get b = 2a + 1 only.

As you figured out, the approach is a little un-intuitive. When I looked at the problem, I actually solved it exactly the same way except that I took numbers rather than a and b.

I said, if (a, b) lies on y = 2x + 1, if a = 1, b = 3.
So (3, -1) must lie on the new equation of the line. When I put (3, -1) in the options, I see that only (B) satisfies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
it took me a while to get this

so what i did was create a value for x then sub it into line 1 to find out what y is. now that you have (a,b) create the point (b,-a).

now what you do is sub is points of line 2 into various equations until you find one that makes sense.

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618816 [4]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos