Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink]
emont wrote:
"How much time?" is a pretty vague question without us knowing more information--that would be like asking "how much should I work out?" The only answer I could give you now: as much time as it takes.

I see you got a 490 on your first GMAT--what was the breakdown on Q/V? How much studying did you do prior to it? Have you studied more and taken another CAT since then? If so, what was that score? What is your goal score for the schools you want to apply to? Are you happy getting in the middle 80% range for the school, or do you think you need an outstanding GMAT score to make up for other perceived weaknesses in your overall profile?

NP and WT are fairly important if you want a good quant score--if you can't grasp them yourself, see if you can find someone to help explain them.

I got a 490 on the real test that I took a few months back. I gave myself a break and I started to prepare again now. My break down was 34Q and 18 V. I took a MGMAT CAT a week back and I scored a 540 (40Q, 26V). I'm not really sure of the exact break-up here but was somewhere like that. I need 580-600 for my programs of choice but I do have a little weak point in my application so would like to shoot for a 650 :| . Also, a 650 will allow me to apply to other Schools in my area. MY test date is in the last week of march.

I'm thinking of picking up a high School Math book to review Combinatorics concepts :oops: . Np - may be I need to go through the book once again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
Move on when you know the fundamentals cold. NP is one of the most important books so you need to know that well. It's okay to skip around.

If I were you I would go through the GMAT Club Math Book and review the information along with your MGMAT guides. This way you will get a different perspective.

gmat-math-book-87417.html

gmatclub math book is a good idea. I can't believe that I forgot about it :? . Yes, different perspective is what I need. Some principles in the MGMAT guides don't seem to get into me,although the material is awesome.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [2]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Kudos
As some have already stated, the Number Properties guide is crucial for a strong performance on the GMAT. I read the book twice and don't regret doing so. I didn't find the Word Translations guide that helpful, but I'm in the minority here. I learned better through practice for WT.

Read as much as you can in a day. If you feel a little tired, take a break or switch to some verbal prep. After that, switch back to quant. This way, you might feel a tad fresher. Four hours on one specific topic killed me. But two hours on NP, two hours on verbal, and then two hours on NP wasn't as bad. Plus, I covered more in the day with this approach!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
As some have already stated, the Number Properties guide is crucial for a strong performance on the GMAT. I read the book twice and don't regret doing so. I didn't find the Word Translations guide that helpful, but I'm in the minority here. I learned better through practice for WT.

Read as much as you can in a day. If you feel a little tired, take a break or switch to some verbal prep. After that, switch back to quant. This way, you might feel a tad fresher. Four hours on one specific topic killed me. But two hours on NP, two hours on verbal, and then two hours on NP wasn't as bad. Plus, I covered more in the day with this approach!

Yeah, its hard for me to concentrate on 'reading' throughout the day, so I switch to RC sometimes :wink:
Actually, the reason for this post is that I found some members here say that they finished the MGMAT strategy guides pretty fast! This made me wonder if I'm going too slow. It took me over a week for NP book and I still owe that book another reading.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
I don't think that how fast someone else studies should be applicable. If you take a little longer to absorb the material, then so be it.

In the end, it's what you get that matters, not anyone else.

Just take it slow and consistent :D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM