Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [10]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [5]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [2]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Design Thinking
Schools:Stanford
Send PM
Re: Last year, seniors at Jasper County s public high schools [#permalink]
Interesting, I chose B. I did because I formed my own assumption that private school, and the lower student-teacher ratio means better education, even though that is not clearly stated.

I like this question — it helped me to understand when I'm making my own assumptions vs. reading the passage's facts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 05-26-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
I would say E as the public schools in Jasper are already performing badly. And we know that Nesbit is doing good in comparison to Jasper. Now we also know that the T/S ratio in Jasper's private schools is growing bad and thus we come to a following trend
Private Jasper <= Public Jasper < Public Nesbit

Thus E
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
IanStewart wrote:

There just is not enough information to give a good answer here; you can, depending on how you look at the stem, provide a justification for many different education choices for the hypothetical student in the question. Indeed, the equivalence that the OE uses to justify answer E (higher test scores = better education) is precisely the type of overly simplistic conclusion that GMAT CR questions are often asking you to identify and weaken. I really don't like this question.
Seconded--this question doesn't look right. Unfortunately, the original post on this thread was nearly two years ago, so I doubt we'll get a source for this problem to confirm it's validity.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Going to chime in on this one as well: This is clearly not a valid question, either in terms of the logical succinctness of the answer or the quality of the answer choices. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that this type of question is Uncritical Reasoning. The contention that two things are the same, despite obvious differences, is a logical fallacy often employed to write critical reasoning questions. Here, this logical fallacy is the reasoning behind the answer.

To illustrate: we cannot assume that what works for Nesbit-ians will work for Jasper residents. There could be multiple factors beyond public and private schooling as to why Nesbit students do better on standardized exams. Socioeconomic factors are but one consideration. Just writing this, I feel like I am writing an essay for the Argument Task of the AWA. You know, the one which is filled with unwarranted assumptions. Just like this question. If only there were a prison in which to lock up these faulty questions :).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 3: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 4: 660 Q50 V28
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Since, it has not been mentioned that the move of Jasper county students from public to private high schools in their own county has helped them academically. Thus, B is cancelled out & we are left with E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
+1 for E but i don't know how far it is a pragmatic solution.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
This is an awful question. nothing about it can lead the test taker to pick an answer with any type of confidence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I thought this question was A. I thought that the main reason that kids were performing well was because of the low teacher/students ratio. Then parents decided to move their kids to private schools because the "low teacher/student "ratio was a factor for the good scores. So since the public schools had now a low teacher/student ratio public schools in Jasper was the best option instead of moving into another town and pay for school. Need help with this type of question thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
ChrisLele wrote:
Going to chime in on this one as well: This is clearly not a valid question, either in terms of the logical succinctness of the answer or the quality of the answer choices. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that this type of question is Uncritical Reasoning. The contention that two things are the same, despite obvious differences, is a logical fallacy often employed to write critical reasoning questions. Here, this logical fallacy is the reasoning behind the answer.

To illustrate: we cannot assume that what works for Nesbit-ians will work for Jasper residents. There could be multiple factors beyond public and private schooling as to why Nesbit students do better on standardized exams. Socioeconomic factors are but one consideration. Just writing this, I feel like I am writing an essay for the Argument Task of the AWA. You know, the one which is filled with unwarranted assumptions. Just like this question. If only there were a prison in which to lock up these faulty questions :).

Agree with all your points, and the question is weird. But the stem does say, just on the basis of this information what should a parent do. So that provides bounds on using what you can reason.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.31
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
mdurlak wrote:
Interesting, I chose B. I did because I formed my own assumption that private school, and the lower student-teacher ratio means better education, even though that is not clearly stated.

I like this question — it helped me to understand when I'm making my own assumptions vs. reading the passage's facts.

Only B and E are relevant here
(B) Stay in Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
(E) Move to Nesbit County and enroll their child in that county’s public schools.

E is better than B because Nesbit's performance is already good.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
the source of this question is from a textbook in a finance class. The alternative source is a thread from facebook. Even though the purpose of this question is to demonstrate the critical thinking skill, this question is a non-gmat question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
what makes option C wrong?
here my reasoning, JPS student perform relatively bad than APS, but it doesn't mean they had good result that can leds to option C. Personally this question has very loose ends that can led to many conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
IanStewart wrote:
Where is this question from? Based on the passage, we have the following information:

* Test scores are higher at Nesbit Public Schools than at Jasper Public Schools. We have no information about test scores at private schools. So, we have some reason to think that Nesbit Public Schools are better than Jasper Public Schools, but no reason at all to think that Nesbit public schools are better than private schools in either Jasper or Nesbit;

* Jasper parents have increasingly *chosen* to spend money to send their children to Jasper private schools. That's evidence that, at least in the opinion of parents in Jasper, private schools there are preferable to public schools there;

* The population of students in Jasper public schools has been changing: Jasper parents are increasingly sending their children to private schools. There is certainly the possibility of sample bias here; perhaps the most promising students are the ones being sent to private schools, and Jasper Public School test scores are lower than those in Nesbit because the remaining students at Jasper public schools are worse, and not because the education in Jasper is worse;

* With the decrease in students in Jasper public schools, there is the possibility that the student-teacher ratio there is substantially better than elsewhere. The stem suggests (though does not state outright) that this is one factor determining the quality of education.

There just is not enough information to give a good answer here; you can depend on how you look at the stem, provide a justification for many different education choices for the hypothetical student in the question. Indeed, the equivalence that the OE uses to justify answer E (higher test scores = better education) is precisely the type of overly simplistic conclusion that GMAT CR questions are often asking you to identify and weaken. I really don't like this question.

Hey. I only had one doubt. The question stem mentions the lower student-to-teacher ratio as one of the reasons for pvt school enrollments. It also mentions that enrollment in a public school in Jasper has dwindled. Wouldn't this result in a lower student-to-teacher ratio in Jasper as well? Thus wouldn't option A be a valid choice to make? Just a little confused in this aspect. Any help would be great.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts