Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:HBS, LGO, GSB
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink]
I still can't concentrate on anything but MIT. This is going to be a long 5 weeks...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi all!

Sorry if this question has already been asked but I haven't had the chance to read the whole thread yet. I was wondering if anyone had admission statistics for the LGO program. Is it more competitive than the regular MBA? Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is?

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Operations
Schools:MIT, UConn
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
bseb wrote:
Hi all!

Sorry if this question has already been asked but I haven't had the chance to read the whole thread yet. I was wondering if anyone had admission statistics for the LGO program. Is it more competitive than the regular MBA? Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is?

Thanks!

It's such a different program than the full MBA its a little hard to compare. Sloan gets thousands of applicants and LGO only gets a few hundred. From a pure statistical point of view I guess the acceptance rate is higher, but that doesn't really tell you anything about how many quality candidates there are or how competitive it is in a given year. Yield is pretty high too because it is such a specialized program (I think most people accept the offer), so they give less offers than an MBA program would, which has many people that will go to competitor schools. That help?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
LGOstudent wrote:
bseb wrote:
Hi all!

Thanks!

It's such a different program than the full MBA its a little hard to compare. Sloan gets thousands of applicants and LGO only gets a few hundred. From a pure statistical point of view I guess the acceptance rate is higher, but that doesn't really tell you anything about how many quality candidates there are or how competitive it is in a given year. Yield is pretty high too because it is such a specialized program (I think most people accept the offer), so they give less offers than an MBA program would, which has many people that will go to competitor schools. That help?

Yes, thanks a lot! The reason why I'm looking into this program is because the new CEO of the company I work for is an alumni. He did the LFM (?) program 25 years ago I think. I had never heard of it before but I think it's a great idea! All the other dual degree MBA/MS programs don't seem to be as integrated as the LGO program. How many students are in the program?
Current Student
Send PM
bseb wrote:
LGOstudent wrote:
bseb wrote:
Hi all!

Thanks!

Yes, thanks a lot! The reason why I'm looking into this program is because the new CEO of the company I work for is an alumni. He did the LFM (?) program 25 years ago I think. I had never heard of it before but I think it's a great idea! All the other dual degree MBA/MS programs don't seem to be as integrated as the LGO program. How many students are in the program?

I agree that LGO is the most integrated dual degree program in operations, although Northwestern MMM and Michigan Tauber both have excellent programs with a slightly different spin.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
What is the minimum # of classes required to take during the first and second semesters for the LGO program? Is the workload over demanding or manageable?
Current Student
Send PM
sammyt wrote:
What is the minimum # of classes required to take during the first and second semesers for the LGO program? Is the workload over demanding or manageable?

You can find the general guideline here:
https://lgo.mit.edu/engineering-manufact ... ement.html

Summer is set. 6 courses, class every day 8am-1230pm with occasional afternoon classes. I think most people thought it was manageable. Some people like to do 100% of everything, however, which will severely limit your free time. In reality the assignments are group oriented, so you learn to balance the workload within the team. Some people seemed to do better with this than others. It all depends on what type of person you are.

Fall is mostly set too. 4 Core classes on Tu/Th then you can add marketing and/or finance (but you dont have to). Some take 2 engineering classes, but most do 1 in the fall. I did 1 (logistics systems) and also took marketing. They you can take a sloan elective as well. I took Global Health Delivery and Management. Overally, the fall is less manageable than the summer, but I still managed to do everything I wanted to socially and personally. However, I am the type of person that goes out of my way to prioritize those types of things. Saw some people get pretty overwhelmed with the Core just cause its your whole day of classes sometimes. Fridays are mostly empty with the occasional career seminars (probably 6-7 of the weeks)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Thank you LGO student this is very helpful. You said in the fall classes are Tu/Thur, does this mean Mons and Weds are generally free?
Current Student
Send PM
sammyt wrote:
Thank you LGO student this is very helpful. You said in the fall classes are Tu/Thur, does this mean Mons and Weds are generally free?

I took my engineering class on MW and Marketing, but theoretically i guess you could have tu/Th free. However, it would be unlikely.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi guys.
Hope you're all coping well with this very anxious time of anticipation...)
Do you think LGO is going to invite more people for interviews? Given the fact that quite many people have been interviewed already. Do you know any cases of international applicants having being interviewed late in the app process?

Thanks)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General
Schools:LGO
 Q51  V42
Send PM
I was wondering how many units can a LGO fellow take at Sloan?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Quote:
Do you know any cases of international applicants having being interviewed late in the app process?

Last year all but one of the international admissions were interviewed late in the process, and I have it from one current international lgo that the invite came very very late. As of now, I think no big wave of invites for international has been sent out. Someone mentioned that they only saw one international on interviewfest on friday (there is no info about monday), which was expected as interviewfest is supposed to be focused on domestics apps and extremely few internationals are invited, if anything 1 or 2 at most.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that a call comes soon.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
fsaq wrote:
Quote:
How long was it? Do you know the names of the people who interviewed you? Thanks!!

Yes, also if you have their addresses, names of spouses and the schools their children go to it will be highly appreciated.... hahaha JK

I will keep hoping for an interview call... good luck to thos interviewing on monday. Hope all went great today.

Thanks fsaq for sharing this information. You raised my hope back again) Let's wait and see how it goes...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fsaq wrote:
Quote:
Do you know any cases of international applicants having being interviewed late in the app process?

Last year all but one of the international admissions were interviewed late in the process, and I have it from one current international lgo that the invite came very very late. As of now, I think no big wave of invites for international has been sent out. Someone mentioned that they only saw one international on interviewfest on friday (there is no info about monday), which was expected as interviewfest is supposed to be focused on domestics apps and extremely few internationals are invited, if anything 1 or 2 at most.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that a call comes soon.

A bit of extra info for international applics. Was thumbing through LGO brochure and on inside back page there is the non-discrimination policy that states "The institue........may favour US citizens or residents in addmissions". Not sure if that makes me feel better or worse, but it goes some way to explaining why so few of us have got interview invites so far.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Quote:
Not sure if that makes me feel better or worse, but it goes some way to explaining why so few of us have got interview invites so far......[

I have looked at many other programs in MIT and most have the same disclosure. That disclosure is not the reason for so few international admissions every year to the LGO. Keep your fingers crossed. It seems that there really has not been anything going on for international applicants. They must be going through the interview responses from interviewfest to filter some peops out.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
fsaq wrote:
Quote:
Not sure if that makes me feel better or worse, but it goes some way to explaining why so few of us have got interview invites so far......[

I have looked at many other programs in MIT and most have the same disclosure. That disclosure is not the reason for so few international admissions every year to the LGO. Keep your fingers crossed. It seems that there really has not been anything going on for international applicants. They must be going through the interview responses from interviewfest to filter some peops out.

fsaq,

Did you find programs similar to the LGO? Would you mind sharing?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fsaq wrote:
Quote:

I have looked at many other programs in MIT and most have the same disclosure. That disclosure is not the reason for so few international admissions every year to the LGO.

Fsaq

In your opinion what do you think the reason is?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  21