Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: GMATPrep1 660 Q49 V31 - GMAT Story [#permalink]
That's right!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Major revelation while analyzing my GMATPrep SC questions, there was a pattern of errors in my SC questions. I could not find the parallel construction tested in each question. To address this weakness I want to work on more parallel construction questions. The following are the few sources I can use - Grockit, Knewton and OG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I took Knewton Diagonostic today and scored 550Q40V27. I seem to be sliding faster and harder to reach towards may be a 500. Not sure what is going on with my Quant. In Knewton, I have got almost 70% of the RC questions wrong. I forgot to keep a tab on the number of RC passages seen and paid for that in the end. Question number 33 was a tough RC. I spent time reading it thoroughly and ended up not having time for any of the questions after that. I have got all the last seven questions wrong. I did not reach the 41st question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
I wouldn't worry too much about Knewton verbal. From what I read on another forum their verbal section is considered harder than that of the actual GMAT. Good luck with your further studies!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I don’t want to give up on the GMAT quest yet just because knewton test score has scared me. I am going endure this some more time with more intensity. I have identified my weaknesses as SC, RC and higher level quant questions.

For Quant, I will focus on more word problems, inequalities, fractions and percents as I seem to struggle with these sections.

For CR, I am thinking about getting PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning: Question Type Training book. If I find more time, I will buy and work on this too. As of now, I am working on veritas CR-2.

For SC, I will focus by question types. Ron’s video on the other site also seems to suggest this approach. For now, only parallel construction questions. I was working on Grockit easy questions for parallel construction as difficult questions were difficult for me to handle. I need to complete OG 12 and Verbal Guide for the same question type. Then I am going to focus on modifiers.

For RC, I got the LSAT rc book. I am going to go through that book this week. I came across the following text on reading comprehension and found it very useful.

Quote:

Read for the Passage's Structure, not its Content

I've said this in other posts, but it's worth repeating: the content of a LR stimulus or a RC passage is less important than its structure / argument. Always look identify the relevant portions of the argument (evidence or conclusion). "Speed-reading" techniques won't work because you're not reading for informational purposes.

You probably don't care about the regulatory, acclimatory, and developmental adaptive responses of overwintering macropterous/micropterous waterbugs (PrepTest 2). If you do, entomology's probably a more promising career path. If you insist on law, save your interest in the waterbugs for another time. The LSAT only requires you know these adaptive responses exist (after reading the passage) and where you can find them in the passage.

As you read, look for:

-the main points (conclusions)

-underlying facts (evidence)

-main players (supporters and critics)

-players' motivations / interests (if any)

Reading comprehension is a mechanical process, so treat it like a fact-finding mission. Search the passage for each of the things I've just listed.

Of course, it would be too easy if the answer to a main point (conclusion) question were worded exactly as written in the stimulus. For this reason, you need to be able to quickly find and identify each of these things so you have more time to recognize how they've been reworded in the answer choices. It helps if you're familiar with commonly-used terms in RC and their synonyms (covered in my previous RC post - linked above).

How to Read More Quickly

Don't pronounce words in your head as you read, and don't move your lips as you read. You can think faster than you speak, so if you cut off the connection between reading and speaking, you'll retain information even as you increase your speed.

How to Find the Main Point

First of all, it's the author's conclusion. Approach main point questions just as you would approach Logical Reasoning main point / conclusion questions. The main point is NOT the summary. It's simply what the author's trying to convince you is true. This will most closely resemble an opinion, rather than background info or undeniable facts. It can be at the beginning, middle, or end.

Depending upon the type of passage, the main point will take different forms.

If the passage is about a:

-problem, the main point is the solution.
-mystery (cause / effect), the main point should be the explanation the author advocates.
-person the author likes / dislikes, the main point is that the person is great / not great. Evidence will be reasons for opinion.
-study / experiment, the main point is that the study / experiment is good / bad. Evidence will strengthen / weaken study's validity by attacking study / people conducting it.

More information on this text can be found at https://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/ls ... ricks.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
stanford2012 wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about Knewton verbal. From what I read on another forum their verbal section is considered harder than that of the actual GMAT. Good luck with your further studies!

Stanford2012, thanks for your encouragement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
How is the preparation going?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:

Got caught with the RC book. I am improving on RC but seem to sliding on SC. I need to provide equal attention to both RC and SC.

I had to work 14 hours a day for four days. I lost few hours of preparation due to that. I am trying to catch up with my plan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:

Thanks for checking. How is the application process going? Can you provide some insights? What are all the things i need to do if I plan for EA round next year?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I completed the first iteration of all my essays. Now I must rewrite them more nicely, and make sure everything fits in correctly.

You need to make a complete introspection, think of the TSA body scanner, you must put yourself naked in front of the admission committee, acknowledge your weaknesses and think about all the stuff done during your whole life and that make the person you are now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Restarting - Target 700 - GMAT Story [#permalink]
I couldn’t do consistent preparation for last few months due to work pressure and travel. I am going make two more major travels so decided to take the test in my second trip this time. New target date is 26th April 2011. Target score is 700+.

I am assuming my current score as 660 with 49 in Quant and 31 in Verbal. I want to get a minimum of 700 with minimum of 49 in quant and a minimum of 37 in verbal.

Areas to focus
1. Reading Comprehension – I am doing consistently bad in this section of the GMAT
2. Sentence correction – This section seems to be a hit and miss.
3. Critical reasoning – I feel I am doing great but not really in the practice tests.
4. Data sufficiency – Not really sure how not to fall for the traps. For me the easier answer seems to be C for all the DS questions.

How am I going to tackle?
1. Reading comprehension – Work on LSAT reading comprehension passages. Minimum 6 to 8 passages per week
2. Sentence correction – Manhattan GMAT SC book – OG SC questions – Memorize these two sources
3. Critical reasoning – for now I don’t have any other material than LSAT questions. So, I am going to go through the questions from this
4. DS – Use GMAT club. Going to follow Bunuel’s explanations for this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
I was wondering where are you these days. Good to see you back. I'm feeling exactly the same as you're feeling for different areas for RC,SC,CR and DS. I don't think there's any comprehensive plan that will work on all areas and see big improvements. But, we can focus on one specific type of questions and see if it improves our score.
Good luck again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rg1 wrote:
I was wondering where are you these days. Good to see you back. I'm feeling exactly the same as you're feeling for different areas for RC,SC,CR and DS. I don't think there's any comprehensive plan that will work on all areas and see big improvements. But, we can focus on one specific type of questions and see if it improves our score.
Good luck again.

rg1, Thank you. Keep me posted of your progress too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
What's up?

I was admitted to the IESE MBA program. I'm glad the GMAT is an old story now :D
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5 
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts