Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Profile Thoughts (Low GPA) [#permalink]
doggdetroit wrote:
GMAT: 650, Q43 (67%,) V35 (73%,) AWA Unknown
GPA: 2.7

Educational Background: Attended small liberal arts college ranked in the top 75 according to US News. Majored in English. Didn't take any quantitative courses. Overall, didn't really take school too seriously hence the low GPA, including one F in a Spanish course. Studied abroad in Spain for a semester. Completed a junior year and senior year thesis paper as part of the college's graduation requirement. Interestingly, this capstone program is ranked as the #2 such program in the country behind only Princeton (again, according to US News.)

Extracurriculars: Played lacrosse for 4 years.

Work Experience: By the time I start applying to MBA programs in October, I will have had almost 5 full years of employment. All five years will have been with a community bank in Chicago where I have held various positions. Management experience is virtually non-existent as my jobs have been more customer service related.

Supplemental Transcript: Took an online accounting course through UCLA Extension and receievd an A. Also retook the same course that I got an F in, at Depaul University, and receieved an A. I plan on taking one more quant oriented corse as well.

I did a quick search on US News and Business Week, and came up with the following list of schools that I think I would have a good shot at:
Purdue
Texas A&M
Illinois
Vanderbilt
Maryland

My questions is whether I even have a good shot at these and if so, are these schools even worth getting an MBA from? Are there any other schools out there that would be a good fit for my profile?

Your low GPA, in combination with lower Quant score in GMAT and liberal arts background, is going to raise adcom concerns about your quant skills to handle analytical nature of MBA coursework. You should definitely talk about your alternative transcript.

Second, choose your schools based on your career goals and not just by ranking. Check out this post titled"How to select the target business schools" to know more.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
Since my original post has generated a few responses, I thought I would post an update to my situation...

The 650 GMAT score that I alluded to above was the result of my third attempt. Because of my low GPA I figured I would give it another shot. After getting a 620 on my 4th attempt in August, I contemplated throwing in the towel, but I didn't want to give up. Fortunately in December, I was able to break through after incorporating some unorthodox study strategies. Now, I possess a 700 GMAT score, and I am finishing up my round 3 applications.

Because I spent so much time and effort studying, I didn't have a chance to work on essays nor did I have an idea of what schools I wanted to apply to, since I was still holding out hope that I would get a higher score. Therefore, I wanted to make sure I put forth my best effort in terms of the application packages.

So now I'm going to be applying the following: NYU, UCLA, Michigan, USC, Texas, and Georgetown. My essays are just about done for NYU, Michigan, and USC. I would like to apply to the remaining three, all of which have later deadlines, but I still haven't decided whether I want to continue to slave away at writing all these essays, as they have proven to be quite daunting.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
^^^^ you may be better off applying next year.....
r3 is notoriously tough. especially at every school you mention (eh...maybe not Gtown)

People who are above the average in every metric get routinely rejected come round three.

Do you research before you burn some apps in r3 when you would 100% be better off applying r1 or r2 next year...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
OK, I agree that you may be better off applying next year R1 rather than R3 when you already have some other concerns to address (i.e. GMAT and GPA.)

But the good news is - DO NOT let a bad statistic discourage you from reaching for your dream school. I have a 2.9 GPA and I didn't think I had a shot in hell at Columbia or NYU but I got into both. The secret is to do an exceptionally great job on the rest of the app (essays, extracurricular if you have them) and also to explain why you didn't have as good a GPA from college. Trust me on this - I didn't believe this when others told me but now I have evidence that it is true - schools do look at the whole picture, not just some numbers.

Also, if you have the time, maybe take some extra classes to build an "alternative transcript." That helped me I believe.

Good luck!
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
doggdetroit,

I agree with Jordan above in regards to the Round 3 applications. Do not be discouraged by the results as the 3rd round can be notoriously difficult. I know your essays may be difficult, but do not underestimate their importance. Your essays and personal recommendations can separate your application for your peers.

I hope this was of help.

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
on another note, some people may say apply now with figer crossed and see what happens....if someone were 28 and wanted to go this year than there are a few caveats:

Apply to some "more than safety schools" that you would actually go to. That the hardest thing with safety schools: picking one you like enough to actually go.

Be careful about sending in crappy apps/essays this year to any school you would reapply to next year if dinged. if NYU didn't give an interview the year before you have in some ways another hill to climb in their eyes.

Bottom line if you can wait until next year your chances go up significantly. all the rejects from harvard/stanford/wharton will be your comp.
GMAT Club Bot