Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [16]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools:Tepper Class of 2013
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink]
Results:

My GMAT scores were:

Total - 650 (79 %ile)
Quant - 44 (65 %ile)
Verbal - 37 (80 %ile)
AWA - 5 (56%ile)
Now among Indians who wrote the test, the corresponding percentile scores are:
Total - 69 (-10 percentage points)
Quant - 53 (-12 percentage points)
Verbal - 83 (+3 percentage points)
AWA - 45 (-11 percentage points)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Interesting data. Thanks for the site.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: GM
Send PM
very interesting... thanks for sharing the link!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
Send PM
That was interesting! Looks like test-takers from some countries(India , China) perform much higher than GMAT averages
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
More competitive in bay area full of us :(

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
American schools need to learn how to teach math....so sad here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Kudos
abmyers wrote:

Couple reasons this conclusion might not be warranted:

1. Foreign GMAT "writers" probably know they cannot hope to compete on verbal, and focus a ton of studying on math.

2. Selection bias. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the Indians and Chinese who take the test are smarter relative to their respective populations than the average American GMAT taker is to his. In other words, you dip further down into the American intelligence pool simply because you have more Americans taking the test.

In 2010, for example:

China had 22,178 GMAT takers from a population of 1.3B
America had 151,252 from 300MM, about 30x per capita more.

Furthermore, imposing a $250 fee on a poor(er) country keeps a lot of weak math people out of the test. GDP/capita is $50K in the US, $7K in China. Imagine what American scores would be if the test were ~5x more expensive? How much harder would you study if the test were $1,250, and you knew you'd have to pay again that to take it again? If you dare to correlate financial success with math smarts, the argument gets even more compelling.

I'm just spitballing some half baked ideas, but it's interesting stuff to think about and discuss.

PS, where did my thread from earlier go?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
BabyBeagle wrote:
abmyers wrote:

I'm just spitballing some half baked ideas, but it's interesting stuff to think about and discuss.

I would completly agree with you in respect of first reason. I am a non-native and for me it is more easier to increase math than verbal.

For the second arument, however a contrargument may be that: "americans having more money have a better access to high quality materials and teachers, and thus must have higher scores".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Pkit wrote:
For the second arument, however a contrargument may be that: "americans having more money have a better access to high quality materials and teachers, and thus must have higher scores".

That's a great argument. It took me a while to wrap my head around it, but it does speak to the resource advantage of prosperity overcoming the lack of motivation that same prosperity may engender.

Like I said...half-baked. This could be a fun game of "find the flaws." I still think that America's educational system does not fully explain the difference in math scores, though I do think it plays a part. We also have very soft parents who do not push us as hard as non-american parents do.

The Chinese Mothers controversy illuminated a consequence of this type of parenting for me, something that I had always suspected. Academic success, particularly success on a quantitative test, comes from attitude, and the confidence (or maybe even conceit) that one can do anything - that all intellectual aptitude is within reach and no concept out of grasp. Being pushed as a kid to excel academically, although it can turn you into a social retard, forces you to find that aptitude within yourself or else be made to feel inadequate. In turn, you never end up thinking, "I'm not good at math."
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks Pkit, what a good tool. I just understood that my 35 V on my first CAT attempt with no practice is not a bad score. 2nd, I understood best time for GMAT is 25-30.Thanks God I'm 25 now :)

Yes, Yes, Competition is unfair. My score of, say, 650, well equals and American's 700. At least, they don't have to travel to a foreign country just to take the test. I have to. Poor me :(
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
BabyBeagle wrote:
abmyers wrote:

1. Foreign GMAT "writers" probably know they cannot hope to compete on verbal, and focus a ton of studying on math.

2. Selection bias. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the Indians and Chinese who take the test are smarter relative to their respective populations than the average American GMAT taker is to his. In other words, you dip further down into the American intelligence pool simply because you have more Americans taking the test.

In 2010, for example:

China had 22,178 GMAT takers from a population of 1.3B
America had 151,252 from 300MM, about 30x per capita more.

Furthermore, imposing a $250 fee on a poor(er) country keeps a lot of weak math people out of the test. GDP/capita is $50K in the US, $7K in China. Imagine what American scores would be if the test were ~5x more expensive? How much harder would you study if the test were $1,250, and you knew you'd have to pay again that to take it again? If you dare to correlate financial success with math smarts, the argument gets even more compelling.

This is right to a great extent. Though I live in the US, I come from a country that is known for its notoriety for these hard-core exams that make people suicidal. And I think I should add one more point to this discussion - math education in the US is very different from the math education in countries like India or China. There is more emphasis on people learning what they want to learn rather than force feeding everyone to go into Engineering. Another point is that a larger majority of the people who try to take the GMAT in India or perhaps even China come from a technical background wanting to switch into a business background or gain some ground by raising in the ranks through the acquisition of an MBA. This biases the criteria so badly.

Needless to say, this debate between native and non-native speakers is to no end. Speaking in English everyday gives the native speakers an edge while a large majority of technical test-takers gives a math advantage to the non-natives. There really is no point complaining that America should teach "better" math or that Indians should learn better "English" - it really is a matter of leveraging your own skill set and sucking it up when you know you suck at something and just studying. And mind you, there are exceptions to this rule everywhere.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
saeedt wrote:
Yes, Yes, Competition is unfair. My score of, say, 650, well equals and American's 700. At least, they don't have to travel to a foreign country just to take the test. I have to. Poor me :(

No, I don't think it is unfair at all. You want to come to their country to study, so you play by their rules. It's all a matter of choice innit?

Oh and before I get hounded by criticism, I am not an American national. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Fair or unfair, that's how the test is!! And there can be endless debates on the education system of any country.
I agree with Whiplash here, if one has to go to a particular country, the rules of that country have to be followed....oh,well, neither am I an american national :D
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
whiplash2411 and heygirl,

It seems we are building a conversation on a wrong premise. I didn't say that following rules of US schools is unfair. Sure when I accept to study there, I also accept to act according to their rules. It's obvious. If those rules were wrong, US weren't the leader in education now! what I said is unfair is Iranian's applicants' restrictions. Most of the books are not available here and we should travel abroad to take GMAT, too. While a Chinese, for example, takes a taxi and arrives at test center in half an hour, I should spoil several couples of my precious near-exam time traveling abroad. Will I be able to sleep enough the night before the exam there? Won't I get lost and arrive late at exam? Won't I be mugged or any other unpleasant event just before the exam? I think it's enough to say the result of such people like Iranians are biased.
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
This is an awesome tool. Thanks for sharing it with us, Pkit!

+1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
@ Pkit and all - regarding Quant score I would say that many of the (or even if I say most of the then it would not be exaggeration of the fact) Indian nerds don't come to GMAT land [ by the way they (IITians) call GMAT Quant a halua 8-) (an informal slag used for something too easy to gobble) ] but rather take IIT+IIMA,B,C route. So figure for Indians is definately understated :!: because the top notch talent does not come.... while I am not sure about chinese nationals case.

Also one more pertinent point is here that parents try to push their kids for science subjects. Intrestingly social sciences, Humanities are ther kind of subjects seen as last resort of education or as if you are doing time pass :evil:

Originally posted by yogesh1984 on 06 Jun 2011, 08:00.
Last edited by yogesh1984 on 06 Jun 2011, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
yogesh1984 wrote:
@ Pkit and all - regarding Quant score I would say that many of the (or if I say most of the) nerds (read Indian nerds) don't come to GMAT land [ by the way they (IITians) call GMAT Quant a halua (an informal slag used for something too easy to gobble) ] but rather take IIT+IIMA,B,C route. So figure for Indians is definately understated because the top notch talent does not come.... while I am not sure about chinese nationals case.

I do really appreciate math skills of most indian applicants. You guys are really math telented.
Well I think it would be fait to compare a nation's intellegence based on only GMAT scores. What a "could be true" conclusion I can make is that you guys are very quantatively skillfull irrespective whether you take the GMAT or not.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2