Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA Anderson (IN!!), NYU Stern (IN!!), MIT (R1 Ding), Columbia (RD Ding)
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
WE 1: 5 years consulting
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
brainhurt wrote:
upInTheAir wrote:
hoping someone can offer some advice - i submitted a 3rd recommendation from a leader of one of the volunteer organizations that i'm a part of because I did a lot of leadership work for them although never applied for a leadership position (mostly cuz i've been doing mba stuff for the last 1.5 yrs). i just found out that the guy resigned on 1/31. do i need to notify stern?

Hmmm, that's a tough one. My opinion is no, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

I agree. No. They don't ask you to update them if any things change on your recommender's status.
Current Student
Schools:UCLA Anderson (IN!!), NYU Stern (IN!!), MIT (R1 Ding), Columbia (RD Ding)
Send PM
thanks for your input! i just got worried because if they go on the organization website his name won't be there anymore. but then they can always call and speak to the guy if they want.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Yale SOM, NYU Stern with $, MIT Sloan
 Q51  V49
GPA: 3.46
WE 1: 4 years in strategy / bus dev
Send PM
Round 1 Applicant
Admitted yesterday

Applied - 11/15
Interviewed - 2/9
Admitted - 2/16

4 years work experience in marketing strategy for a fin services company
GMAT: 790
UG: Engineering at Georgia Tech

Deciding between SOM and Stern :)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 17
Schools:NYU Stern
Send PM
hvg wrote:
Round 1 Applicant
Admitted yesterday

Applied - 11/15
Interviewed - 2/9
Admitted - 2/16

4 years work experience in marketing strategy for a fin services company
GMAT: 790
UG: Engineering at Georgia Tech

Deciding between SOM and Stern :)

Congrats! Awesome GMAT score
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah I second that. Touche' on the GMAT score.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
Can anyone offer some insight into whether Stern's admissions process is truly "rolling"? I submitted my application about a week before the deadline, and am slightly alarmed that applicants who submitted on the day of the deadline are starting to receive interview invitations.

Also, does anybody else find it strange that Stern's process is considerably slower than that of other schools? I don't have any direct evidence, but I'd imagine that NYU is very focused on yield. One would think that they would have an incentive to render decisions as early as possible to lure would-be M7 admits into their program (CBS adopts this strategy though its ED program and genuinely rolling admissions process, and it seems to work brilliantly).

Anyway, it seems odd that most schools have already sent the majority of R2 invites while Stern has only just begun. Just sayin'.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
I'm getting nervous as well. One question to those with and without interviews: Does your status check website mention anything about the completeness or not of your application? I know some have said it notified them they were incomplete due to GMAT or TOEFL, but I was never expecting an issue with that as I sent my official GMAT months ago. What concerns me is it doesn't say *anything*. It just says it will notify me of any updates.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
vixer wrote:
I'm getting nervous as well. One question to those with and without interviews: Does your status check website mention anything about the completeness or not of your application? I know some have said it notified them they were incomplete due to GMAT or TOEFL, but I was never expecting an issue with that as I sent my official GMAT months ago. What concerns me is it doesn't say *anything*. It just says it will notify me of any updates.

Mine says: "If your application is incomplete, you will be informed via email and this Application Status Check Website. Please be sure to complete your application in order for the Admissions Committee to begin its review."

How does that compare to yours?
Current Student
Send PM
carriedinterest wrote:
Can anyone offer some insight into whether Stern's admissions process is truly "rolling"? I submitted my application about a week before the deadline, and am slightly alarmed that applicants who submitted on the day of the deadline are starting to receive interview invitations.

Also, does anybody else find it strange that Stern's process is considerably slower than that of other schools? I don't have any direct evidence, but I'd imagine that NYU is very focused on yield. One would think that they would have an incentive to render decisions as early as possible to lure would-be M7 admits into their program (CBS adopts this strategy though its ED program and genuinely rolling admissions process, and it seems to work brilliantly).

Anyway, it seems odd that most schools have already sent the majority of R2 invites while Stern has only just begun. Just sayin'.

Stern's admissions is not rolling in the sense that you're referring to - first in first reviewed. it is rolling in the sense that decisions are rolled out anytime within the application period (for r2 is 1/15 - 4/1).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
Yeah - that's what mine says. Oh well.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth, Stern
 Q50  V45
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
To the people who already live in NYC, what is a good range for rent? I remember one of the Stern students telling me in that she and her roommate paid $2,400 combined in Greenwich Village. Not being from NYC, I am expecting to spend a lot, however, what is too much? After looking around online, I'm thinking of getting a 1br apt for $2,500 in the Village. I'll be living with my gf. Is this reasonable?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
$2,500 for a 1 BR in the Village is definitely reasonable. A lot depends on the specific location and building amenities (doorman, elevator, etc.). No question that the East Village is generally cheaper than the West Village. It's nice that NYU is easily accesible from the east side subway line (4,5,6) and the west side subway lines (1,2,3,B,D,F,M,A,C,E,N,R,Q), so you can move uptown or downtown w/o too much of a hassle. In my experience, the price ranges you should look for in Manhattan should be:

Studios: $1800-$2200 (btwn 375-475 sq. ft.)
1 BR: Under $2800 (You can find great apartments under $2600 - btwn 575-675 sq. ft.)

If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me. Looking for NYC apartments, especially from out of town, can be a hassle and we should all try to help each other with broker/building recommendations when possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Also, many NYC buildings have ridiculous requirements when applying for apartments. If you are traveling in from out of town, I would suggest having the following when possible:

- Prior year's tax return and primary W-2
- Bank statements showing current balances
- A reference letter from your current/prior landlord (Can be very simple, just stating that you paid your rent on time and were a good tenant.)
- 1-1.5 times monthly rent for security deposit, plus a few hundred dollars for rental applications/credit check fees
- A cosignor

The last point can be tricky. Generally, buildings require you to have 48 times monthly rent in AGI. Most will allow you and your spouse/roommate to combine your income to meet that requirement. If you don't have that (we're students now), you can have a cosignor, but you and the cosignor will have to have 96 times monthly rent in AGI. Many buildings won't allow out of state cosignors or will only allow NY/NJ/CT cosignors.

Don't worry too much about any of these requirements, as they vary by building/management company. It's just helpful to know these things in advance so you can discuss them with the broker/management company before wasting your time looking at specific properties. Also, it helps having all of the paperwork and money squared away if you are coming here for 3 days and want to sign a lease.

Most NYC apartments aren't leased more than 4-6 weeks in advance of move in, so you can either come a little before school starts and find a place to move into within 1-2 weeks or you can come over the summer to look.

Be sure to ask if they offer 2 year leases, so you can get a month or 2 thrown in for free or a reduced security deposit. That can really drive the price down.

Sorry for the length, just trying to be comprehensive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
WE 1: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Does anyone know how many of those interviewed are ultimately accepted?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
reimon wrote:
Does anyone know how many of those interviewed are ultimately accepted?

According to Business Week:

Applicants (admitted and denied) who were interviewed: 23 %
Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 13 %
Admitted applicants who were interviewed: 100 %

So about 56% of those who interview are accepted.

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... stern.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
 Q44  V50
GPA: 3.06
WE 1: 2yrs Financial Modeling
WE 2: 3yrs Investment Management
Send PM
Thanks for the apartment renting info, CPANoMore. My fiancee and I have started looking for apartments but it seems like if we want to move in around August 1st we will have to be in NYC early July just to go apartment shopping.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
rouzbie wrote:
Thanks for the apartment renting info, CPANoMore. My fiancee and I have started looking for apartments but it seems like if we want to move in around August 1st we will have to be in NYC early July just to go apartment shopping.

I don't think that's true. I moved to NYC last summer and managed to find an apartment in 72 hours. It's an incredibly fast-moving market - it's very common to show up to a viewing with 10-15 other interested people - so you won't have time to deliberate once you see something you like. It's also a very tiring process, so I definitely wouldn't recommend spending more than a week on it. You'll get a feel for your preferences (doorman, walk-up, neighborhood, etc.) very quickly.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  73   74   75   76   77  ...  110   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts