Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy Consulting
Schools:HEC Paris, , Tepper
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hmm, my answer is closest to #4, with a bit of 3 and 6 thrown in.

Let's use parentheses to clarify the meaning of your examples:

In good years, the patchwork (of green fields [that surround the San Joaquin Valley town]) bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.
(By the way, I think this is a flawed problem, and not worthy of all the attention it gets on the forums.)

In an effort improve the quality of patient care, Dr. Lydia Temoscho is directing one (of several clinical research projects that seek to determine how helpful psychological counseling is in supplementing the medical treatment of serious disease).

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions (in an individual) that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses. (I added a plural here; otherwise, you'd need to add "an" before "unconscious.")

. . . a patent for one (of Kirchoff's laws), an observation

So, in short, when you see a modifier following a prepositional phrase, there is no concrete rule saying whether the modifier applies to the original noun or to the object of the prepositional phrase. You need to use meaning to make the determination. As you said in #3, you may also use the following verb (among other clues) to help you decide. Here are a few more examples off the top of my head (all correct):

Police have captured one of a ring of drug smugglers who have been plaguing the area. (smugglers who)
Members of the committee who do not wish to vote may leave early. (Members . . . who)
The extensive network of caverns that lie beneath the city has yet to be thoroughly explored. (network . . . has yet, caverns that lie)
The price of steel, which had fluctuated wildly for many years, began a steady decline after the labor dispute. (price . . . which)

Notice that there isn't much ambiguity here. In each case, only one reading makes sense. You might make a case for "network (of caverns) that lies," but that's about it. If there is more than one valid way to read the sentence, there will probably be another split that makes the answer clear, or one of the choices will be a distinct departure from the intended meaning conveyed by the other choices.

I hope that helps. Dig up more examples for Supreme Court consideration if you like . . .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
haha. Well those are great examples and your response validated what I had believed, yet was uncertain of. Thank you very much. I hope more people see this relatively simple summary. I know I'm not the only one with these questions, especially seeing as the source of some of my confusion has been some of the explanations I've read.

The Supreme Court is just.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Many have argued that the object pronoun ‘them’ may refer to either the fields or the workers. But, can it logically referto the fields? If we accept that premise, then we have to accept that the fields appear around the San Joaquin Valley town for the season, and then disappear or take a vacation in the non- season or in not so good years, and then reappear. Can this logic hold well?

On the contrary, in the context, we can assign such mobility only to workers; so I see no dilemma of ‘them’ referring to the fields.

Can we delve into these points? We can’t crack such hard nuts, unless there is an official version to this kind of hair- pullers.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
Beware of certainty. I can come up with an exception to almost any rule you care to cite, and the GMAT is sometimes "flexible" (if you want to be nice) or inconsistent (if you don't). SC doesn't just test your ability to mechanically apply rules--you have to look at the sentence as a whole, consider the intended meaning, and prioritize. Some issues turn out not to be as important as they look. I've certainly seen a problem on the real test in which every single answer choice violated something that we state as a rule. Sadly, the GMAT makes the rules, and we have to follow along after them trying to explain their decisions. Most of the time, they are consistent and sensible, but every now and then they're not!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ts30 wrote:
seofah wrote:
A.
1."surround" refers to a plural "fields"
2. "bustles" refers to a singular "patchwork"
3. We are left with A and C.
4. C would be correct if we had "many of whom", in which case the modifying phrase would serve as appositive
5. Modifying phrase in A is absolute phrase

I dont get the logic for the 1st point. To elaborate, please answer these-
1. Members of an organization is/are protesting.
2. Group of girls is/are partying.

If the answer to any of the above is dependent on the X in the X of Y construction, then how can a patchwork of green fields be plural?

1. Members of an organization are protesting...correct
2. Group of girls is partying... correct

However the subject question is somewhat different from the examples you have given.

The patchwork of green fields is singular.

Nonetheless the modifier that surround the San Joaquin Valley town refers to green fields, which is plural - the relative pronoun that is used to refer to fields, not patchwork. Hence the usage of plural verb surround is alright.

The main subject of the sentence is patchwork, which is singular. Hence it takes the main singular verb bustles.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 493 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Bookmarks
Himanshu9818 wrote:
10. In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.
(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which
(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are

Meaning : There are some green fields surround the S J V valley and here farmers are working out and many of them are here just for the season.

The patch work can't surround the town but it is green fields that surround the town and here some patch work is taking place. So, options B and E get eliminated.

In A : Them correctly refers to farmers.
C : Who must refer to the subject and Whom to the object, here farmers are object.
D : Which cannot refer to people but instead it can refer to place.

IMO A is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
GmatDestroyer2013 wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which

Detail explanations are welcome.

My answer to the above is Option B : Can someone please confirm what should be the subject as per my understanding Patchwork must be the subject ... but looking at the OA it is confirmed that it actually Green fields that is being discussed.

Please help !!!

“that surround the San Joaquin Valley town” is ambiguous because the “that” could refer to “patchwork” or “green fields.”

In A the verb surround is plural, so “that” must refer to “green fields”. In this case, does “many of them” refer to “workers” or to “green fields?”

In B surrounds is singular, so “that” must refer to “patchwork”. “Many of whom” clearly refers to “workers”

I believe that B has more clarity than A. On the other hand, “that surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town” (choice B) refers to “patchwork” instead of “green fields”, changing the meaning of the original sentence.

So I would choose A because meaning is essential.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Schools: LBS SMU '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I think except (a )and (d) all are separating two independent clauses with comma. D contains which so A wins
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
rajatkataria14@gmail.com wrote:
I think except (a )and (d) all are separating two independent clauses with comma. D contains which so A wins

Only option E has two independent clauses - in all others, the latter clause is dependent.

This is a question on subgroup modifier - the two correct structures of such modifiers are:

main clause (ending with a noun to be modified), many/some/all etc. of them + NO verb
main clause (ending with a noun to be modified), many/some/all etc. of whom (person) /which (thing) + verb

With the above structure in mind, we are left with options A and B only.

Now the task reduces to determine whether singular or plural verb is correct. (already discussed in the thread.)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

SaraiGMAT EducationAisle DmitryFarber generis
please clear my doubt :
Who - refers to te subject / the doer of the action
Whom- refer to the object / receiver of the action

In this example , the reason i chose C is that "many of who ARE IN the area.. " . Here "are" is helping verb so does "who " act as a subject her?? I mean when we ask a questio we would say : who are in the area??
i agree that "whom " modifies the noun "farmer, which itself is an object , but the latter part in the "underlined part "in option C appropriately use "are" and thus this structure validates the usage of "who" .
for eg : Patrick punished Marco who in fact was innocent. James talked to Lidia, who is an expert on the topic. (Here Lidia is the object , but the modifier that follows is using "who")
Please correct me .
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Aditya, whom is an object pronoun while who is the subject pronoun.

An easy rule to remember is that whenever a pronoun appears as part of prepositional phrase, the pronoun always takes the object form.

In the phrase many of whom, clearly the pronoun whom appears as part of prepositional phrase (of whom) and hence takes the object form (rather than the subject form who).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Pronoun case, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi Aditya, whom is an object pronoun while who is the subject pronoun.

An easy rule to remember is that whenever a pronoun appears as part of prepositional phrase, the pronoun always takes the object form.

In the phrase many of whom, clearly the pronoun whom appears as part of prepositional phrase (of whom) and hence takes the object form (rather than the subject form who).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Pronoun case, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

EducationAisle
Thank you for your response.
My doubt is regarding the helping verb "are" after the pronoun
For eg: the judge punished Michelle, who was in fact innocent

Here "who" is used . Which is followed by helping verb "is" .now why isn't "whom" used here?? Please explain. Thank you

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
AdityaHongunti wrote:
Here "who" is used . Which is followed by helping verb "is" .now why isn't "whom" used here??

Because in this case, who is not part of prepositional phrase!

So, following sentences (though not great from a meaning perspective) illustrate correct usage of pronouns:

The judge punished people who were very educated.

The judge punished people, all of whom were very educated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

This is a very bizarre question, and I'm afraid I have to disagree with everyone who's saying the answer is "obviously" A. I see nothing wrong with B (which makes this problematic as an official answer). Also, there are serious problems with GMAT Tiger's explanation, which many people have been describing as sensible.

He wrote:

A is correct. "That" in the sentence refers to "green fields", which is plural and so does "that" too. [What in the world does this mean? How can something "do 'that'"?

When "that" is plural, the verb that follows "that" should be also plural (surround), which is only in A and D. [THAT is a relative pronoun, and has no plurality. There is no such thing as a singular or plural "that".

"many of them" is better than "many of whom". -- [This is NOT true. "Them" is a subject pronoun and "whom" is an object pronoun. They have totally different uses. In fact, our ears prefer "them", so GMAT will often encourage you towards "whom".]

OKAY! Now that we've dealt with that bit of confusion, we can look at the question.

PROBLEM: The writing of this sentence makes it impossible to work out what the subject of surrounds is. It could be fields (because relative pronouns like "that" typically modify whatever they touch), but it could also be patchwork (because "of green fields" is a modifier, just as we could say the King of Spades IS a good card). This sentence is extra confusing because "surround" and "bustle" are both verbs. The A folks in the room seem to want to argue that the "fields" surround the valley, but the "patchwork" bustles. But why? The same subject could just as easily do both.

CORRECT: Whom is correct here, because we need the object of a preposition ("of"). I prefer this answer myself, but I see no actual reason to cross it off.

PROBLEM: You can't say "many of who", you need an object pronoun to be the object of the preposition "of".

PROBLEM: This verb arrangement is odd, as is "many of which". We prefer who/whom for people.

PROBLEM: This starts a new sentence after the comma, which isn't allowed.

Hope that helps, and I'm definitely up for argument! : )

-tommy

Its "patchwork of green fields", isnt this a prepositional clause and hence the subject would be patchwork which is singular thus followed by "surrounds" supporting SV agreement?
Pls clarify
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Neha2050 wrote:
Its "patchwork of green fields", isnt this a prepositional clause and hence the subject would be patchwork which is singular thus followed by "surrounds" supporting SV agreement?
Pls clarify
Of green fields is a prepositional phrase (green fields is a noun phrase). Patchwork of green fields is a noun phrase. That's why the main verb (bustles) is singular (because patchwork is singular).

The surrounds however, depends on whatever the that refers to (the that could refer either to patchwork of green fields or to green fields).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Per my understanding the subject here is patchwork. Anything that is after 'of' is a prepositional phrase and hence can not be the subject. So the correct verb form would be 'surrounds'. Between option B and E, option B is better as we need an object pronoun i.e. 'whom'.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
pulinagarwal wrote:
Per my understanding the subject here is patchwork. Anything that is after 'of' is a prepositional phrase and hence can not be the subject.

Hi pulinagarwal, words in a prepositional phrase cannot be the subject in the clause that prepositional phrase is a part of.

In this sentence, the two clauses are:

(i) In good years, the patchwork of green fields bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season

(ii) that surround the San Joaquin Valley town

Notice that patchwork of green fields is part of clause (i) and hence, in clause (i), green fields cannot be the subject (since it is part of prepositional phrase). Hence, the subject is singular (patchwork) and so, we use singular verb bustles in this clause.

On the other hand, in clause (ii), whether the verb should be surround or surrounds, merely depends on what that is modifying. In this case, the nearest word is green fields and there is no reason why that cannot modify green fields. Hence, the correct verb in clause (ii) is surround.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this issue, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts