Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q45  V44
Send PM
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink]
jordanhendrix wrote:
josiebella wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:
^^an IVY league UG help tremendously Josie.
you have 2 (one with a 3.9, although just a few classes), female and a 720?.....congrats and all that good stuff, but you are a strong candidate....do you have blue chip WE too?

if so get outta here....lol

haha what is blue chip WE?

like goldman or mckinsey Work Experience

nope. :P

I work in the fashion / beauty sector in finance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Send PM
^^^ so you have DIVERSE experience too?.....you are forbidden from posting in this thread. haha

But on a side note, as we can see GPA isnt everything, but to overcome a low one you better be very strong in everything else for a top tier school.

Seriously though Josie, not trying to take anything away from your accomplishments....congrats on CBS :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q45  V44
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
^^^ so you have DIVERSE experience too?.....you are forbidden from posting in this thread. haha

But on a side note, as we can see GPA isnt everything, but to overcome a low one you better be very strong in everything else for a top tier school.

Seriously though Josie, not trying to take anything away from your accomplishments....congrats on CBS :)

i think the most important thing is to have a good story that makes sense. and not to sell youself short.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [4]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
 Q44  V50
GPA: 3.06
WE 1: 2yrs Financial Modeling
WE 2: 3yrs Investment Management
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'll share my story too.

Undergrad/Post-Bac: 5-years of Electrical Engineering at top 20 engineering school (top 10 in public schools), graduated with 2.986 GPA (last three semesters I averaged 3.8). Spent an extra semester doing post-bac research/classes in financial mathematics, got a 3.8. I count this as a total undergrad of 3.06 (who knows what schools think of it).

GMAT: 770 (V44 Q50) AWA 4.5 - I studied like crazy for this from Sep 7 to 21, took the exam once on Sep 22. I found that focusing on verbal was able to boost my score the most and I was a bit arrogant about doing well on quant; however, my overall outcome was great and possibly makes up for my undergrad performance.

Work Experience: 2 years of financial modeling, 3 years of asset management research. Have passed all three levels of the CFA program.

Extra-curriculars: Was a DJ in college, have had no ec's since college

Applied:
1) NYU - Accepted with $$$
2) Chicago Booth - Rejected w/o Interview
3) MIT - Rejected w/o Interview
4) CBS - Rejected w/o Interview
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Consultant
Send PM
I will post my story once I find out more in a few weeks. Hopefully it'll be a success story :). Thanks for all the contributors!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi,

Just wanted to share my stats a bit, since I finally got an admit today.

1) < 3.0 UG GPA from a State University, Humanities
2) 700 GMAT
3) Am pretty sure I'm about to get dinged from Stanford--it was a big stretch for me (slightly higher age/low gpa), but I just had to try
4) Have been admitted to University Washington Foster and Ross

I addressed my low GPA in the optional essay, not making excuses but just being very factual about why I didn’t do well and offered other evidence of my academic abilities (other strong semesters, GMAT, etc.).

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by RuggedIdealist on 07 Mar 2011, 14:18.
Last edited by RuggedIdealist on 19 Apr 2011, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Consultant
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I've applied to six schools - Ross, Fuqua, CBS, Chicago, Kellogg, and Stern.
Currently, I'm...
Dinged - Chicago, CBS
WL - Stern
Admitted - Ross
Pending - Kellogg, Fuqua

As promised, below is my success story. Although it's not quite over yet as I am still waiting for a few schools, I'm just overjoyed to know that I will be going somewhere this fall. I think it'll be a good encouragement for many people with low gpa, because my gpa was pretty damn low. I don't think many people can top that.

I graduated as an engineer with a 2.36 from an Ivy League school. I consider myself to be a pretty bright kid. Did well in high school and hence got admission to an ivy league school. However, while I was in college, definitely did not take advantage of the education. Instead I drank drank and drank....partied hard. Almost flunked out one semester. I still party but I think my priority is somewhat back on track :P

After I graduated, I realized I really really f'ed up my career because of my lackluster grades. Couldn't land an interview at any big reputable firm because of my low gpa. It was tough man... I made my life even tougher for myself when I decided that my passion was Finance and switched from engineering. The transition was not simple. I always knew that I wanted to get an MBA, but I decided to do a masters in finance because I figured that was the quickest way to start doing finance upon receiving my masters of finance and a good way to build an alternative transcript, hence killing two birds with one stone.

After my masters, I got a respectable consulting position at a top tier consulting firm, where I'm currently at. I have been with this company for almost 4 years now and got promoted once.

Sooo the point is.......sorry if I come off rambling a bit, but my point is low GPA can be overcome.
For me, it was
1) build an alternative transcript
2) score a 730 on the GMAT (I chose to talk to point 1 and 2 in the optional essay for all the schools I applied to. I talked about how my undergrad performance was not indicative of my ability to perform in a rigorous academic setting and stressed about my more recent performance in my masters program and gmat score are more relevant. I also talked about how I've matured over the years...)
3) get 5+ yrs of work experience
4) volunteer in 1 or 2 leadership roles at a few organizations

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Kudos
My overall UG gps is a 3.1, but that hides the disaster during my early college life

-first 3 semesters, 1.75 (incl. 0.7 my 2nd semester)-- univ of mich school of engineering

- next 4 semesters, 3.6 community college, associate of science

-next 4 semesters, univ of Michigan-Dearborn , political science, 3.65

-law degree, top 25-30 lawschool, top 2 percent

what I learned- never give up

results
ding- Ross

waiting (interview completed)- mccombs

in
Kelley
carlson
Olin
goizuetta

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Haas, Duke (A), Ross (int), Yale, UVA, UCLA, UNC (A)
Send PM
Bookmarks
I wish I had found this thread prior to applying - it would have been very motivating. Regardless, I consider myself very lucky:
Demographics 31 year old, white male
UG - 2.67 gpa at univ. ranked ~50th. Economics. Earned every possible letter grade (As, Bs, Cs, Ds, Fs, Pass, Is, Ws, and Zs). Lowest semester 0.75. Wrote a strong essay explaining how this experience of struggling through college made me a better person and better at my job. Discussed personal struggles I overcame.
GMAT - 720 41V 47Q 6.0 AWA.
WE Worked in education for the leaders in Ed. reform. Been teacher, admin, fundraiser. Strong success in field.
Applied to:
Duke Fuqua: R1 Accepted
Michigan Ross: R2 Accepted with $
UNC KF: R2 Accepted
Yale SOM: R2 Ding w/o interview
Berkeley Haas: R2 Ding w/o interview
UVA: R2 no decision; no interview
UCLA: R2 no decision; no interview

I would credit my success to:
1. Being a non-traditional candidate. I have a demonstrated passion. I was able to demonstrate how an MBA would help me. I think it was convincing to show how I will use an MBA to "save the world." Having worked for a leader in the industry it made up for my poor academic performance.
2. Strong GMAT - with a bad GPA you got to study your a$$-off.
3. Strong essays: Each essay went through 10+ rounds of substantive edits.

Good luck to all low GPA applicants!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
tlshields wrote:
I wish I had found this thread prior to applying - it would have been very motivating. Regardless, I consider myself very lucky:
Demographics 31 year old, white male
UG - 2.67 gpa at univ. ranked ~50th. Economics. Earned every possible letter grade (As, Bs, Cs, Ds, Fs, Pass, Is, Ws, and Zs). Lowest semester 0.75. Wrote a strong essay explaining how this experience of struggling through college made me a better person and better at my job. Discussed personal struggles I overcame.
GMAT - 720 41V 47Q 6.0 AWA.
WE Worked in education for the leaders in Ed. reform. Been teacher, admin, fundraiser. Strong success in field.
Applied to:
Duke Fuqua: R1 Accepted
Michigan Ross: R2 Accepted with $
UNC KF: R2 Accepted
Yale SOM: R2 Ding w/o interview
Berkeley Haas: R2 Ding w/o interview
UVA: R2 no decision; no interview
UCLA: R2 no decision; no interview

I would credit my success to:
1. Being a non-traditional candidate. I have a demonstrated passion. I was able to demonstrate how an MBA would help me. I think it was convincing to show how I will use an MBA to "save the world." Having worked for a leader in the industry it made up for my poor academic performance.
2. Strong GMAT - with a bad GPA you got to study your a$$-off.
3. Strong essays: Each essay went through 10+ rounds of substantive edits.

Good luck to all low GPA applicants!

Congrats!
Did you do anything to supplement your grades like take extra courses?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Schools:Haas, Duke (A), Ross (int), Yale, UVA, UCLA, UNC (A)
Send PM
Kudos
I didn't take any supplemental classes, but I would have if I had time before my applications were due.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
Now that I've gotten into one place at least... I can post as a "success story"

25 yr old
GPA: 2.97 from a top 10 private university
GMAT: 740
Work Experience: About 2 or 2.5 years on application, first job was in IT, second is in Government
Needed to write an essay explaining run-ins with the judicial system and probations in college also...

Got into Georgetown & USC
Waitlisted at Wharton

Big money big money....

:banana

Originally posted by CyberC1 on 15 Mar 2011, 12:54.
Last edited by CyberC1 on 29 Mar 2011, 06:12, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I guess I'm a success story, but still holding out hope for the last one...

2.98 GPA from a top-5 UG school. Switched majors in junior year to a very difficult engineering major, and overloaded myself in an attempt to finish in four years. Failed three classes due to unresolved incompletes (would not recommend to others!). I definitely addressed this in my application, although I'm not sure if I shared too much, too little, or just enough.

760 GMAT - doing prep definitely helped

Very strong extracurriculars

Worked in the Education sector for 3.5 years. Non-traditional career interests.

Stanford R2 - No word yet; Not hopeful, though
HBS R2 - Dinged w/o interview
Ross R2 - Admitted
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Schools:Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)
Send PM