Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 382 [45]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1720 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even after thr [#permalink]
It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even after three hospitalizations, several months of therapy, and a near mental breakdown because no one medical professional – neither her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see the full scope of her symptoms.

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - v05#37

* neither her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
* not even her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
* including her therapist and her doctors – were able to see
* not even her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see
* neither her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see

Neither/ nor- the subject closes to the verb should agree with the subject.

Here See is the verb and doctors is the subject. Hence the correct choice should be were

I picked A. OA is E and explanation below:

This sentence tests the correct use of the phrase neither...nor as well as subject-verb agreement when subject and verb are split across a parenthetical phrase. The words no one before the hyphen indicate that the parenthetical expression must contain a negative expression, the word neither. Neither is idiomatically paired with the word nor. Also, the subject of the clause – no one medical professional – requires the singular verb was.

1. Were is a plural verb that does not agree with the singular no one medical professional.
2. Not even cannot be correctly idiomatically paired with nor, and were is an incorrect verb.
3. Were is a plural verb and does not agree with the singular subject of the clause; also, the word including does not sufficiently respond to the words no one, which come before the hyphen.
4. The words not even are not idiomatically correct when paired with the word nor.
5. The phrase neither...nor is idiomatically correct, and the singular verb was agrees with the subject no one medical professional.

The correct answer is E.

Can some one point what is wrong in my answer explanation?
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even after thr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
+1 E

This is a S-V agreement problem. Notice that "neither her therapist nor her doctors" is between dashes. The subject of the subordinate clause "because no one... symptons" is "no one", which is always singular.

The GMAT will always try to put words between the subject and the verb. Your job is to find the subject first.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Bookmarks
Rock750 wrote:
It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even after three hospitalizations, several months of therapy, and a near mental breakdown because no one medical professional – neither her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see the full scope of her symptoms.

A) neither her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
B) not even her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
C) including her therapist and her doctors – were able to see
D) not even her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see
E) neither her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see

The corret idiom is "neither ... nor". We can easly eliminate all but A and E.
If we look at the phrase, it says "no one medical professional ( SINGULAR)" so the next part must mantain this structure.
IMO E
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rpmodi wrote:

(A) neither her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
(B) not even her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
(C) including her therapist and her doctors – were able to see
(D) not even her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see
(E) neither her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see

kanusha wrote:
hello sir... pls clarify my doubts in VERBAL section... pls reply to these messages... my GMAT IS ON SEP 10...
MY answer is A.... in neither..nor.. we should see the subject that is nearest to the verb.... so doctors(plural)...were(plural)....
what is the correct answer.... and pls explain....
Thank you..

Dear Kanusha,
For figuring out the verb split, "was"/"were", we need to set aside the part within the dashes. That part, "neither her therapist nor her doctors", is an additional clarification, but not part and parcel of the grammatical backbone of the sentence. The subject of the verb is "no one medical professional", and both "no one" and "no one X" are singular. These demand a singular verb --- "no one was", not "no one were".
Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
Zarrolou wrote:
Rock750 wrote:

A) neither her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
B) not even her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
C) including her therapist and her doctors – were able to see
D) not even her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see
E) neither her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see

The corret idiom is "neither ... nor". We can easly eliminate all but A and E.
If we look at the phrase, it says "no one medical professional ( SINGULAR)" so the next part must mantain this structure.
IMO E

Zarrolou & MIke,

Dont you think in all the answer choices, pronoun "her" doesnt have an antecedent. The sentence talks abiout "girl's illness" but "girl" was no where mentioned.

Is this usage correct? If so why?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
maaadhu wrote:
Zarrolou & MIke,
Don't you think in all the answer choices, pronoun "her" doesn't have an antecedent. The sentence talks about "girl's illness" but "girl" was no where mentioned.
Is this usage correct? If so why?

Dear maaadhu,
You are perfectly correct. The word "girl's" is in the possessive, and therefore absolutely cannot serve as an antecedent. Therefore the pronoun "her" has no antecedent. You are 100% correct: this construction is absolutely unacceptable in GMAT terms. I was focusing on the underlined splits only, so I missed this, but this is a clear and unambiguous mistake. It's very hard to write high quality GMAT SC practice questions, and whoever wrote this fell short of the mark on this particular question.

Here's a higher quality SC practice question for you:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3225

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Send PM
I thought her is a possessive pronoun that can refer to girl’s illness.

Any comments?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
nt2010 wrote:
I thought her is a possessive pronoun that can refer to girl’s illness.

Any comments?

Nice question!

I think you are referring to the "possessive poison" rule of MGMAT SC Guide, according to which something like
"Marc's house"(...)"his"<== cannot refer to Marc because the name Marc does not appear as such in the sentence.

This is quite a controversial rule, and I think has been removed in the latest edition of the book.
In the official questions I know that this rule has been mentioned by GMAC, but the in the problem (just one) in which something similar appeared, the explanation did not mention it as the reason why the option was incorrect. So I would suggest not to bother about it, as its importance is minimal .

Hope this helps a bit :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [1]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: SC [#permalink]