Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Kindly Review My Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Entwistle wrote:
jenniferbloom wrote:
Yes, most programs do not encourage (or outright forbid) international applicants from applying in the final rounds; there just isn't enough time for them to obtain the requisite visas otherwise. I'm not seeing a connection between your current work and your future goals in marketing, especially in the music industry - which tends to be very closed to outsiders and requires years of "paying your dues" and working your way up. While I consider Kellogg and Ross stretches for you, I do think you will have an easier time of convincing Kelley, Mays, and Marshall of your international business savvy.

Thank you Jennifer. I think I'll explain the lack of connection between the job that I held and my post MBA goals. In fact, I think I'll be absolutely open and frank.

You see, during my final year in college, India's number one construction company (Larsen & Toubro Limited) visited the campus of my college to conduct a recruitment drive. I went through the selection process and was offered a job as a graduate engineer. I accepted the offer because of the company's high reputation. It was never my intention to stay in the line of business for the rest of my life. I was in for the work experience and exposure. After completing two years in the company, I resigned my job and returned to my home country (Abu Dhabi, UAE was my last place of posting).
Now why do I need an mba? To be honest, I want to do an mba from one of the top ten business schools because of the financial security the degree offers (I may be wrong about that, but it's just an opinion). I'm from a middle class family and I need the money!
In an ideal world, I would custom fabricate guitars and teach little children how to play the guitar. But my family background does not give me the luxury of pursuing that dream. Instead, I must venture into the corporate world and go for the big bucks. Eventually though, after things settle down, I will make handcrafted guitars and teach little children how to play the guitar! But that will have to wait till I can guarantee financial security to my family :(
I was hoping to combine my passion with a corporate profession by working in the marketing division of leading guitar manufacturers such as Gibson, Taylor, Takamine, Ibanez etc. That is what I meant by music industry.

So what I'm really saying is that - there is no connection between the job that I held and my post mba aspirations :)

I know none of this will appeal to any of the business schools. However, I wanted you to know that this is what's actually going through my mind.

Regards,
Entwistle

I would encourage you to stay involved in the music field - perhaps in a volunteer capacity - and highlight that involvement in your application (not necessarily as leadership, but more as community service and contacts within the industry if possible). While financial security is obviously of critical importance, finding a match between our interests and our career does make for a more fulfilling career!
Director
Director
Send PM
jenniferbloom wrote:
I would encourage you to stay involved in the music field - perhaps in a volunteer capacity - and highlight that involvement in your application (not necessarily as leadership, but more as community service and contacts within the industry if possible). While financial security is obviously of critical importance, finding a match between our interests and our career does make for a more fulfilling career!

Thank you Jennifer, I've already started to teach little kids how to play the guitar :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Entwistle wrote:
jenniferbloom wrote:

Thank you Jennifer, I've already started to teach little kids how to play the guitar :)

Teaching little kids is nice, but it isn't really building connections within the industry. Interaction with adult professionals is pretty critical to that.
GMAT Club Bot