Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Green-tech
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Green-tech
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Send PM
Re: Safety School (w/ Full Ride) vs. Top 5 US [#permalink]
sanka wrote:
Arindamcanada,

Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate your opinion. The 'best in class' argument is a good one. I was looking up profiles of Ivey MBA's and I did not see anything that was overly impressive. I think the same is true of the lower quartile of top US MBA's, but the top is much higher.

Did you end up going to Ivey or Rotman? What was your thought process in choosing either?

No I am going to neither Ivey or Rotman. But I did make class visits to HBS, MIT Sloan, Kellogg, Booth, Wharton, Ivey and Rotman and I thought the US schools were quite a distance apart in quality of students (average), resources, networks, worldwide acknowledgement and industry recognition. I did sit in a class at a top10-top20 US school and that is where I found Canadians schools comparable. MBA is a life-time thing, so why not go for the best. Hope you make the best decision, I know finance can be a sticky spot but if you think it will not be a deal breaker, then I would say go and get your dream fellow Torontonian.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Another fellow Canadian here. That's a tough one. Personally I would consider the value of the life experience going to Chicago would bring. Who knows, maybe it will change your perspective on living in Toronto (at least in the short-to-medium term)? I don't know what your entrepreneurial aspirations are, but I would think that for almost any industry there's a much larger market in the US... perhaps you'll find you are better off starting your business in the US and ultimately migrating back to T.O. My vote would be for Chicago, it will put you in a very elite group, and the Booth brand will garner respect in both MC and entrepreneurial ventures no matter where you are.

I'm approaching a similar situation (applying to top US schools and have Rotman as my backup), and if I was offered a full ride at Rotman I would still take any of the US schools if I'm accepted. But I know I want to be in the NYC-area market for at least 5-10 years.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks so much both for your replies, fellow Canadians!

I have been leaning towards Chicago for some time, but I just haven't been able to 'pull the plug' on the full-ride at Ivey. I was speaking with my dad and his advice was "If there was no full-ride, it's Booth hands-down. So is $70k enough to make you switch your career direction?" I think the answer should be no; go for the best school because $70k is not a huge amount in the long run (although it certainly seems like it right now.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
 Q50  V41
Send PM
I got full scholarship from my backup school too. But the $ you save now will cost you more later. i.e. your earning potential (although not guaranteed). Although top schools do not give out full scholarship, they give a good %.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Booth '13 (M)
Send PM
Go to Chicago, we can be friends :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
I have a slightly different opinion than others. Yes Booth is an awesome school. But if you want to live in Toronto in the long term I don't see the point of going to Booth (or any other top school in the US maybe except H/W/S). Ivey's network in Toronto is pretty much unmatched. And I met some Ivey alumni and they seem incredibly receptive. Is Booth's network that strong? Especially so far away from Chicago? Somehow I have an impression that commuter schools have a weak community feeling and hence a weak alumni network (I am sure there are exceptions to this).

Remember that at the end of the day the school does not make you, you make yourself. Especially if you want to be an entrepreneur. If you have a crappy business plan you won't get any venture funding even if you are from HBS. But otoh if you have a solid business plan your background isn't going to matter much.

And as far as consulting is concerned you will have access to top consulting firms at Ivey. Check out this Ivey Management Consulting Club Post Recruiting Survey Results

https://iveymbaa.ca/clubs/consulting-club/

Out of 21 students in the club, there were 16 first round interviews from M/B/B. On average each of the 21 students received 3 first round interviews (counting other firms as well). If you have the $70k full tuition scholarship on resume I am sure you will receive a first round interview from M/B/B. Of course after the first round it's your own merit and the school you attend doesn't matter.

In the long term $70K isn't a lot of money. But in the short term it is. If I were you and I knew I wouldn't have to worry about tuition I would take a bit more risk in entrepreneurial ventures. Otherwise if I am saddled with a $150k debt (at Booth) I would head to banking/consulting and apparently neither is a good preparation for entrepreneurship.

I personally am not interested in Ivey as I am not into consulting. But if I were I would take Ivey any day of the week (with a $70k scholarship). Without any scholarship obviously Booth. Btw I am from Toronto as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
All really good points above. I'm always amazed at people's willingness to lend advice to virtual strangers. I've gone back and forth between both options so many times now...I just might have to flip a coin :-P (joking, but only half-way)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
I should add a disclaimer: I have a slight anti-Ivey bias as I twitch a little bit every time I hear someone say (loud enough for everyone to hear) that they got an HBA, not a BComm. ("It's practically an MBA!!!")
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Kudos
sanka wrote:
I'm always amazed at people's willingness to lend advice to virtual strangers. I've gone back and forth between both options so many times now...I just might have to flip a coin :-P (joking, but only half-way)

That's what makes gmatclub unique and awesome!!
GMAT Club Bot