Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [18]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [3]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Having trouble finishing quant section- Any ideas? [#permalink]
do your best to just pace yourself, not every question you get is solvable in exactly 2 mins, some are slower some are faster. if you feel like you reach a question that is taking forever, you may just have to let that one go and build yourself back up with the remaining questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Take a practice test and see what happens if you DO speed things up. You say you are worried that you don't know what will happen if you try to work more quickly, but you haven't tried it. You should not be so afraid of sacrificing accuracy for speed, be confident and do an experiment.

The more you practice working at a quicker pace, the better you will get.

Think of it this way, you know you will get a low score if you run out of time by working too slowly, so what have you got to lose by working faster?

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Also if you can go back and view the amount of time you spent on each question, this can be very useful in determining why you're running out of time.

If you find that most of your questions you finish in under 2 minutes, except for a few 5+ minute questions, you can easily address this by setting a time limit per question. Or getting better at realizing if you're attempting a question you simply dont know how to attack.

However, if you're finding that you're consistently taking more time than allotted per question, you need to find a way to speed up your process.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [4]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

While most of the posts in this thread are from years ago, the basic 'pacing issue' that many Test Takers face is the same as it's always been.

To start, pacing problems do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER problems. That's important to realize - something about the way that YOU handle the Quant and/or Verbal sections is wasting time.... and as a result, you have very little time at the end of the section to handle the final 'block' of questions.

The ultimate cause of your specific pacing issue could come down to a handful of likely factors, including:

1) The approach that you take to answering the question (there's usually more than one way to do that; is YOUR way the fastest?)
2) The notes that you take (or don't take)
3) How often you reread the question
4) How often you make a little mistake (that you then have to go back and 'fix'), etc.
5) The number of specific questions that you 'overcommit' to (and spend far too much time on).

Thankfully, all of these issues can be 'fixed', but you might need to invest in some resources that actually train you how to fix these issues (or eliminate them altogether).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma

Excellent post!

Quote:
Select a set of 10 or 20 questions, and give yourself 30 seconds per question to get started on each. When you’re completed with the set, go back and finish each question, checking to determine how accurate your first steps were.

Do you mean to say: Do not not try to COMPLETELY solve the problem and just concentrate on the INITIAL APPROACH/ first few steps.

Quote:
If the above drills are tough to complete in 30-40 seconds per question, then you may simply want to train yourself to categorize by not even getting started on the problems, but taking 30 seconds to just identify “what are they asking” and “what skills will be necessary”so that you can start to see the similarity between questions and not just the differences.

If someone is unable to get answers to above questions in time limits your mentioned, does that mean he / she needs to works back on basics or there could be another causes?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM