Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
venksune wrote:
CONGRATS ON YOUR ADMIT.

What's your profile ghangis1?

-63 months of work experience predominantly in sales; established (and experienced minimal success with) 2 sole proprietorships in real estate and the weight loss industry outside of work during those 5 years;

-BA from the University of Texas at Austin in Biology; minor in Business Administration; 3.25/4.0 GPA

-worked part-time throughout college and participated consistently in community service and other extracurricular activities

That's my profile.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, that is a good advise. You example is the proof that GMAT is not everything. Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
What type of research did you do? [#permalink]
Did you visit the schools prior to applying? I'm preparing for '06 and I am curious what you used for "why this school" questions. I have almost the exact list of schools (-darden +UT +UNC).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: What type of research did you do? [#permalink]
scraper wrote:
Did you visit the schools prior to applying? I'm preparing for '06 and I am curious what you used for "why this school" questions. I have almost the exact list of schools (-darden +UT +UNC).

I used the "How to Get Into The Top MBA Programs" book as my guide even though it is a little outdated. It definitely helped me with the essay questions and how to make the most of my current credentials.

I did not visit any of the schools. I interviewed with a Kellogg alumnus.

For the "why this school" questions:
In each essay I made it clear why I wanted a MBA, how a MBA from that particular school will help me achieve my goals quicker, etcetera.

For example, I mention how Darden’s case method of instruction will help me solve complex problems for companies in the marketplace as a consultant after business school... how Tuck's Cohen Leadership Development Program and Leadership Forum will allow me to reach new horizons in both the business world and my community after business school..etc..

Also display what you can bring to table that is different than your future classmates in your essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats again ghangis1,

i'm sure it would have settled in quite well by now. or do you still go back to check those admit emails just to make sure that it's still you. :-D

I'd like to know from you perspective what you think were your strong points in all these schools? IOW what do you think got you the admits?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
kwasi7 wrote:
Congrats again ghangis1,

i'm sure it would have settled in quite well by now. or do you still go back to check those admit emails just to make sure that it's still you. :-D

I'd like to know from you perspective what you think were your strong points in all these schools? IOW what do you think got you the admits?

Well my whole application package was strong overall (I believe). My GMAT score fell within Darden's and Kelley's 80% range and was very close in regards to MI. In other words, MI (Ross) 80% GMAT score range for the class of 06 was a 640-700+.

I spent a lot of time on my essays. Your essays are very significant because they allow you to market yourself to the admission committees.

-My recommendations were good as well (I believe).
-My grades in college quantitative courses were very good.
-My dedication to my community was outstanding.
-My work and entrepreneurial experience was good as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks and i think the strength of your application is not just your belief but is quite evident.

Anyway have you decided whick program you'll be attending?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
kwasi7 wrote:
Thanks and i think the strength of your application is not just your belief but is quite evident.

Anyway have you decided whick program you'll be attending?

Well I have decided to attend Michigan (Ross) this upcoming Fall! Go Blue!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts