Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Texas '12
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: VCU (Snead) [#permalink]
cool. just wondering cause i get accepted and dinged from the following schools

VCU - MS in Finance - Accepted
George Mason - MBA w/ conc in Finance - Accepted
Georgetown - MBA - dinged (it's ok i expected it)
American University - MBA - Accepted
Virginia Tech - MBA - Accepted (not going though, don't even know why I applied, guess I just "felt" like it)

So in the end, I ruled out VA Tech. Ruled out American University even though I heard they had like some pretty good networking after grad because of their location due to their ridiculous tuition rates and standards of living (if you can call it that, a crappy apartment goes for 700 minimum) and they weren't trying to give me any money.

So in the end, it's Mason and VCU. Right now I'm really leaning towards VCU just from what I've heard about it. I know that ugrad and grad are like night and day. But I've also heard Mason grads come out with like 80K salaries as where VCU grades come out making about 65-70. but that's not really important as I'm in it for the long haul. And also because MBA is too common these days from what I've heard and that a lot of industries are moving more towards career-specific positions. Also the MS in Finance will give me a head start on my CFA's :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 2.42 and 3.7
Send PM
I'm looking at a part-time MBA at VCU as well. I don't like how they still aren't ranked but I don't have many options due to living in the 804. It's VCU or Richmond and my GMAT score pretty much rules out Richmond. Plus, Richmond has really fallen in the rankings over the last few years and now is not even ranked. Makes me wonder what is going on there.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
SaveTheClockTower wrote:
I'm looking at a part-time MBA at VCU as well. I don't like how they still aren't ranked but I don't have many options due to living in the 804. It's VCU or Richmond and my GMAT score pretty much rules out Richmond. Plus, Richmond has really fallen in the rankings over the last few years and now is not even ranked. Makes me wonder what is going on there.

yeah that is weird! because a few years back Richmond was like pretty up there and I've even talked to their faculty and of course they never give you a straight answer about their rankings at all. Seems like they're trying to hide something i don't know. For me, VCU's MS in Finance program is really a stepping stone to higher end school later on for my MBA. I didn't do too hot academically in undergrad but I stepped it up in the GMAT arena but overall it doesn't pull enough weight still.

But honestly, I think schools like VCU, George Mason and others that may be not recognized on a national level still receive attention from the local cities and surrounding states regardless. I've known quite a few people that have been in the finance track to go pretty high in the investment banking sector and other alike so perhaps ranking isn't everything? I don't know. I'm still a fan of going to a school with a higher rank than going to a school with a lower or no rank given the opportunity probability of success they will have afterwards. Plus it's a good resume pusher :-D
GMAT Club Bot