Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Job-change effect on future application [#permalink]
thanks for all the input. Do people here think that rise in salary translates to "career progress" as seen and asked in rec letters by admin committee? I understand that monetary reasons alone for job change are never openly admitted in an formal forum, but genuinely speaking they are an integral part of a career opportunity. B-school application do ask for salaries in their online applications and most likely than not read something into rise in salary as acknowledgment if contributions made by and rise in responsibilities of the applicant at his or her workplace. Do bschools associate rise in salary as not openly admitted but secretly understood type of career progress too?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
They may or they may not read into the salary increase as career growth; you can't bank on it either way. What you need to draft is a good reason why you left a company, and that reason cannot be solely $$$. It may be that the position was titled the same but the responsibilities were a lot more leadership oriented... It may be that it gave you some intl exposure... Etc... Other than that, like the other user said, don't let MBA plans stop you from making career moves.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
jk12, I am in a similar situation. However, I believe I have a sound strategy. The guy that wants to hire me, a director from a supplier, is my second recommender on this year application (I have been waitlisted on the 3 schools I applied ;-(). He knows that I will apply again and therefore I would stay with the company for only one year. He likes my work and he needs desperately someone with my knowledge to be able to bid for a new big project. Additionally, I would live in another country, have increased responsibilities and salary. The only impediment is how we will manage to not harm the relationship between my current company and this supplier.

If this thing works, on the time of the application I would be with this company for only 3 months, but I believe it would sound just right as a career move in which I would not only grow professionally but also show my will to be a more interesting applicant.
GMAT Club Bot