Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Booth R1, Tuck, Ross
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Chicago Booth Class of 2013 [#permalink]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg R2 (accepted), Berkeley Haas R2 (wl), MIT Sloan R2, Chicago Booth R2 (accepted)
 Q46  V41
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Attending Booth admit weekend... going to be hard to decide between Kellogg and Booth as they are both awesome schools. Also waiting to hear from MIT and waitlisted at Haas.

Look forward to meeting some of you guys next weekend!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Some rambling for someone who just went thru the moving to Chicago process.. For those of you looking at Columbus towers my impression is that you can do better for the price from what I've heard. They are pretty old and run down and management isn't the greatest (esp least for the price which at least is cheap). Some recent renovations, but I think it still is a bit hit or miss, although tthe Hyatt next door is usually dirt cheap for rooms if you have visitors alot (The 4 star in Streeterville on Hotwire= Hyatt, usally like $55 a night).

For the 1bd 1300-1400 range I'd recommend McClurg Court for a lot of amentites (in Streeterville 2 or so blocks from Gleacher but further from the trains) or MDA City apartments close to Millenium Park. Everything else in Millenium Park area (new East side?) seemed to be $1600+ for a studio. The Fisher Building is pretty affordable as well and is a block from the Hyde Park Express bus plus has a Booth discount on move in and deposit but it's in the middle of the Loop and nightlife dies. For the best bag/buck in downtown Printers Row has larger older buildings (Transportation Building) that are pretty cool with some sweet bars. I second the comment on not taking the red line. If you can get a place in Millenium Park Place (it's a Condo) those are sometimes a good bang for the buck depending on the owner too. There are still some speakers that talk at Gleacher that a lot of the full timers come down for in the evenings so the downtown location is nice for that too and lets you avoid Hyde Park at night.

That said when I moved here I moved here I used Chicago Apartment Finders which I would highly recommend. It was free (the apartment pays). I'm currently in the evening program so don't need the proximity to Hyde Park as much, but if you use a finding service they are great at showing you 10 places in 3 hours that fit your location/price and you don't have to deal with parking and the like.

I'm by no means an expert, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Guys,

Have you seen any detailed review of Booth's courses?
I'm now thinking about how to structure my curriculum and any review would be very-very helpful :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [2]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Do you have access to iBid system? course evaluation? if yes, that's the right place to start with.
My rule of thumb: If professor's grade is lower than 4.0, think twice or more before taking his or her class.
Let say you have a couple of professors with >4.0 grades. Next thing I would do - look at syllabuses.

Another advice is just to take basic requirements, so you will have one quarter to chat with second year students and shape your curriculum.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance/Economics
Schools:Chicago Booth
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Send PM
Boothie2013 wrote:
Some rambling for someone who just went thru the moving to Chicago process.. For those of you looking at Columbus towers my impression is that you can do better for the price from what I've heard. They are pretty old and run down and management isn't the greatest (esp least for the price which at least is cheap). Some recent renovations, but I think it still is a bit hit or miss, although tthe Hyatt next door is usually dirt cheap for rooms if you have visitors alot (The 4 star in Streeterville on Hotwire= Hyatt, usally like $55 a night).

For the 1bd 1300-1400 range I'd recommend McClurg Court for a lot of amentites (in Streeterville 2 or so blocks from Gleacher but further from the trains) or MDA City apartments close to Millenium Park. Everything else in Millenium Park area (new East side?) seemed to be $1600+ for a studio. The Fisher Building is pretty affordable as well and is a block from the Hyde Park Express bus plus has a Booth discount on move in and deposit but it's in the middle of the Loop and nightlife dies. For the best bag/buck in downtown Printers Row has larger older buildings (Transportation Building) that are pretty cool with some sweet bars. I second the comment on not taking the red line. If you can get a place in Millenium Park Place (it's a Condo) those are sometimes a good bang for the buck depending on the owner too. There are still some speakers that talk at Gleacher that a lot of the full timers come down for in the evenings so the downtown location is nice for that too and lets you avoid Hyde Park at night.

That said when I moved here I moved here I used Chicago Apartment Finders which I would highly recommend. It was free (the apartment pays). I'm currently in the evening program so don't need the proximity to Hyde Park as much, but if you use a finding service they are great at showing you 10 places in 3 hours that fit your location/price and you don't have to deal with parking and the like.

I'm by no means an expert, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you so much for writing this up! I'm moving to Chicago from overseas and only have four days to fit in the 26 hour flight, finding an apartment, and signing a lease before I have to report to the office. Not to mention the above will take place over the 4th of July weekend... and I'm a little stressed about it.

Was there a particular person you dealt with at Chicago Apartment Finders that you would recommend?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Sailorette,

The agent was Katie Kull (they have a ton of agents though, and I've heard good things about the company in general). She was great. We had to fly in for the weekend and got delayed and even then she had a bunch of appointments lined as soon as we arrived. We could have finished the process in 3 hours pretty easily. Basically we just told her our price range and desired areas a few days in advance and she then drove us around and showed them when we got there. She showed us 3 or 4 parts of downtown seeing as we didn't really know where we wanted to be and gave us some plus and minuses of all. Definatly not pushy, we had 3 top choices at the end. The area's I looked at were:

-Streeterville
-Millenium Park area (Lakeshore East or the New Eastside as some call it, this is right across the river from Gleacher/train to Hyde Park is a few blocks away)
-Near West side (more affordable)
-Printers Row/South Loop (more afordable, bigger places in older buildings/slightly closer to Hyde Park and cheaper parking if you want a car)

If you have a family and don't mind being a bit further from Campus slightly North of downtown is a cool area, but has more expensive parts (GoldCoast, NearNorth (cheaper), Lincoln Park). I would avoid Wrigleyville if your not young and partying and probably not going to class.

I don't think you can go wrong with any area in downtown, but I don't know the Suburbs at all, and on the South side/West side anything more than a few miles from the city can be very hit or miss in terms of quality (crime, etc). That said from my impression most people in the full time live in the Millenium Park area and in the end I would say live close to your friends or across the river in Streeterville.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Hi,

Sorry if this has been already asked... I've been busy lately and didn't have time to read the google group or facebook.

In order to rent a decent apartment in the Loop, in the usual 4-5 buildings where everybody lives, should we start now the research, paperwork, etc?

I was thinking about doing all this stuff once I'm there (mid August), hoping that there will be still enough apartments available.

Second question, are you guys going to rent for 2 years or for 1 year?

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance/Economics
Schools:Chicago Booth
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Send PM
Boothie2013 wrote:
Sailorette,

The agent was Katie Kull (they have a ton of agents though, and I've heard good things about the company in general). She was great. We had to fly in for the weekend and got delayed and even then she had a bunch of appointments lined as soon as we arrived. We could have finished the process in 3 hours pretty easily. Basically we just told her our price range and desired areas a few days in advance and she then drove us around and showed them when we got there. She showed us 3 or 4 parts of downtown seeing as we didn't really know where we wanted to be and gave us some plus and minuses of all. Definatly not pushy, we had 3 top choices at the end. The area's I looked at were:

-Streeterville
-Millenium Park area (Lakeshore East or the New Eastside as some call it, this is right across the river from Gleacher/train to Hyde Park is a few blocks away)
-Near West side (more affordable)
-Printers Row/South Loop (more afordable, bigger places in older buildings/slightly closer to Hyde Park and cheaper parking if you want a car)

If you have a family and don't mind being a bit further from Campus slightly North of downtown is a cool area, but has more expensive parts (GoldCoast, NearNorth (cheaper), Lincoln Park). I would avoid Wrigleyville if your not young and partying and probably not going to class.

I don't think you can go wrong with any area in downtown, but I don't know the Suburbs at all, and on the South side/West side anything more than a few miles from the city can be very hit or miss in terms of quality (crime, etc). That said from my impression most people in the full time live in the Millenium Park area and in the end I would say live close to your friends or across the river in Streeterville.

Thanks for the detailed follow-up. I have a husband, no kids, and my office is on N. Wacker. I'm hoping to end up in Lakeshore East/River North to have a convenient commute to both my office and Gleacher, as well as the access to grocery stores that seems to be missing from West Loop. We're hoping to stay car free, and just use Zipcar/iGo as needed.

Did you see any places that had 1 bed + den? DH is also in grad school, and I'm hoping to get an apt with a good office setup that doesn't cost a fortune.

I'll try contacting Katie first, and hope that she's planning to work over the 4th of July weekend!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013
WE 1: Consulting (3 years)
Send PM
Hey everyone. I would love more feedback on Millennium Park Plaza. It seems like a great deal with the Booth student discount, and it's in the perfect location. I know it's a little older but I can live with that. What worries me is some of the negative reviews it has online. (Just google.) Any building will have some bad reviews, but MPP seems consistently worse than, say, Columbus plaza, especially on management quality.

Do any of the (hundreds of) Booth MPP residents have negative experiences with MPP, and if so, would you still recommend it, given the numerous other advantages? Or am I better off paying slightly more and living slightly farther away at Columbus Plaza?

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Anyone here a early career admit?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Edit: removed info on housing, decided already

Thanks!
Matt

Originally posted by SEOmatt on 07 Jun 2011, 06:15.
Last edited by SEOmatt on 20 Aug 2011, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey, I was thinking of taking financial accounting and maybe a micro/stats class at a community college and then jump to the more advanced course at Booth. Does anyone have thoughts/ideas on this? I come from an engineering background but have taken undergrad level accounting and micro classes (I dont remember anything from those now).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congratulations to the class of 2013 and welcome to Chicago Booth! One of the most fun ways to get to know your incoming classmates and current students is to go on one of the many Random Walk trips hosted by the school
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Can any current students shine light on the advantage of having a car in Chicago?

My car is paid off and if I end up moving to go to school at Booth next year, would I be better of selling or keeping my car?

I'm trying to figure out if I need a car and/or would keeping a car be super expensive...
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Booth Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Booth Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Booth Forum for all fresh things related to the Booth MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts