Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Need to go from Q49 to Q50 (How to improve DS in 15 days) [#permalink]
By the way, do you have any idea whether the difficulty level of questions is same for GMatPrep v2006 and GmatPrep v2011?

PS: I just got 1-2 repeats from OG's in both the tests combined.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [2]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
dragonball wrote:
Hi Fluke,

Thats right. I have got Q49 in 2 consecutive GmatPrep v2006 tests. In the first test, I got 13 incorrect, and in the second test I got 10 incorrect.

If you feel that my Quant score is not as per GMAT standard and you feel that i should have got less than Q49, then kindly tell me how many questions does anyone generally get wrong with a Q49 score.

I did the analysis of DS questions and found that my incorrect DS questions were mainly from ratio, percentage, numbers, inequalities, algebra, stats, modulus.

Please guide me in how to get to Q50. Any recommended theory material or practice questions?

In addition, how many questions should I ideally get wrong to get to Q50?

Sorry, no idea!!! I have little to no experience with GMATPrep and my doubt was genuine. I just don't understand how these numbers are calculated. I always go by the number of questions I solve correctly and my threshold is at most 5 questions wrong. Any figure worse than that doesn't appease me. There was another reason for me to wonder: we solve 37 questions and get a score between 0 and 60. Thus, every question should carry a weightage of presumably more than 1 mark, if you answered 10 wrong; 60-10=50. Now, your score will be below 50. There is also some rule regarding answering a lower level question over a higher level question. Arrrghhh!!! It gets so confusing that unlike many students, I just overlook all that grading and just focus on the numbers of questions.

Guess someone like IanStewart or Karishma can answer this question to your satisfaction.

Regarding boosting your marks in the DS section, practice is virtue.

With 15 days left, I think you should:

Write CATS:
MGMAT will be my first choice.
Please go through this and act.
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

2. Solve 1000DS, because:
a. It contains real GMAT questions from the past.
b. The questions are not unrealistically difficult.
c. The questions are spread across all topics.

where-can-i-find-ps-1000-ds-1000-rc-1000-etc-56141.html#p403440
answers-for-1000ps-23355.html#p154511

The questions do not have detailed solutions. You will have to search through GMATClub or google to get solutions, which may be time consuming but you will surely get an excellent practice out of these.

3. Try tag search from this forum:
search.php

Inequality DS:
search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=184

Well!! Here you will get a mix of excellent, good, bad questions and it could be time consuming.

I would be more inclined towards the 1st option above with limited days in hand.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Fluke.. I will work on it.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
dragonball wrote:
In the Quant section of the GmatPrep test, I am consistently getting 10-13 questions wrong. My current score is Q49 but I need to stretch it to Q50.

I have given 2 GmatPrep tests and in each test, I got around 6-8 DS questions wrong.

Math experts: Any suggestions/strategies to go from Q49 to Q50 in 15 days. I have my exam coming up :-( In addition, any specific DS material (theory/practice) that can help me here??

Don't doubt your GMAT Prep score. Check out this article to learn more about the GMAT algorithm.
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/08 ... algorithm/
If you would rather not spend the time, know this: those scoring in the 46-50 scaled score range on the quant section (the upper limit of high scores) answer between 21 and 26 of the 37 math questions correctly. You can score well above the 90th percentile on math and miss more than a dozen questions! (And if you’re good enough at math to do that, you’ll note that it equates to your missing roughly a third of the questions)

Also, according to the topics you have mentioned, I can suggest you to go through some posts I have put up on Ratios, Percentages, Inequalities, Mods etc at:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/categor ... om/page/2/

I like to discuss holistic approaches rather than following-a-process approach. If you view the big picture, you can get through your questions much faster. DS questions use the same concepts as PS. The only difference is that they are trickier and take a little longer since, on an average, you solve two questions (one for each statement) for each DS question. Veritas has a separate DS book available on Amazon if you would like to take a look at it for strategies and pitfalls.

Very importantly, don't freak yourself out. Q49 and Q50 are not that far apart. If you keep your cool, take good rest and relax, you might anyway make it without extra effort (but if I were you, I would put in some effort and keep my cool too to double my chances!!!)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Karishma. Yesterday only, I checked the article on https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/08 ... algorithm/. It was of great help.

I guess, I need to be extra careful while tackling DS. With some more time based practice, I think I will be able to do it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
dragonball wrote:
In the Quant section of the GmatPrep test, I am consistently getting 10-13 questions wrong. My current score is Q49 but I need to stretch it to Q50.

I have given 2 GmatPrep tests and in each test, I got around 6-8 DS questions wrong.

Math experts: Any suggestions/strategies to go from Q49 to Q50 in 15 days. I have my exam coming up :-( In addition, any specific DS material (theory/practice) that can help me here??

Don't doubt your GMAT Prep score. Check out this article to learn more about the GMAT algorithm.
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/08 ... algorithm/
If you would rather not spend the time, know this: those scoring in the 46-50 scaled score range on the quant section (the upper limit of high scores) answer between 21 and 26 of the 37 math questions correctly. You can score well above the 90th percentile on math and miss more than a dozen questions! (And if you’re good enough at math to do that, you’ll note that it equates to your missing roughly a third of the questions)

Also, according to the topics you have mentioned, I can suggest you to go through some posts I have put up on Ratios, Percentages, Inequalities, Mods etc at:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/categor ... om/page/2/

I like to discuss holistic approaches rather than following-a-process approach. If you view the big picture, you can get through your questions much faster. DS questions use the same concepts as PS. The only difference is that they are trickier and take a little longer since, on an average, you solve two questions (one for each statement) for each DS question. Veritas has a separate DS book available on Amazon if you would like to take a look at it for strategies and pitfalls.

Very importantly, don't freak yourself out. Q49 and Q50 are not that far apart. If you keep your cool, take good rest and relax, you might anyway make it without extra effort (but if I were you, I would put in some effort and keep my cool too to double my chances!!!)

Hi Karishma,

Your advice makes a lot of sense to me as I'm consistently getting QA score in the range of 47-49,and have rarely crossed 50.But I really need to cross 50 as my VA scores fluctuate a lot.
I've noticed about my preformance in QA: I tend to loose concentration after solving 7-8 questions at a stretch.I had started solving such papers from Bunel's signature here in GMAT Club and found that often I'd lose my focus around the 8-9th sum and make mistakes.I feel its not so much down to lack of conepts as due to some sort of mental fatigue maybe.At best I may be a bit jittery with Statistics,Perms and Coms and Modulus.

I really need some help with this.

Also,is there any source on the internet where there are 10-15 question sets of PS /DS.That would really help me to improve my powers of concentration when solving QA questions.I'm looking for something similar to maybe 1000SC series we have in VA.

Thanks!

Cheers
DebWenger
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
DebWenger

Get the GMATPrep Question Pack 1 and then you can create sets of 10-15 problems in either Problem Solving or Data Sufficiency.

Cheers,
Dabral
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
dabral wrote:
DebWenger

Get the GMATPrep Question Pack 1 and then you can create sets of 10-15 problems in either Problem Solving or Data Sufficiency.

Cheers,
Dabral

Thanks mate for the idea!
Is this the paid one that you're talking about or the free one?I have solved all questions in the free one unfortunately.

Cheers,
DebWenger
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
dabral wrote:

Ok,yeah,i had earmarked that one long time back and had added it to cart.But I was a bit hesitant at first and thought i might not need it.
Well,it has definitely come down to being something i have to have now! 8-)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts