Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ESADE '15 (A)
Send PM
Re: Time management: Distractions [#permalink]
thetiming wrote:
Thanks, menacel!

I have tried similar techniques in the past (while studying for CFA & PRM) and they did work.

The difference was that I could trust myself even less, so I used to give my PC & laptop cables to a friend and ask him not to give these back to me =) Thus I would have 1,5 h of laptop battery time for a month or more and ration it carefully =) This was only possible, because I had (or had to print) the materials in paper form...

The second difference was that during the 5 minute breaks I would close my eyes (or even lay down) and try to relax, as I was studying for 17 hours a day during my paid leave and on weekends and 6h a day on business-days...

But I can confirm - it works =)

I am startled by your study hours! How did you manage to take off so much time on business-days?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
I am startled by your study hours! How did you manage to take off so much time on business-days?

* Got to work early, worked hard, so as not to have to stay late.

* Took off from work at 17:00, was at home at 17:40, prepared stuff for the following day, had dinner, etc (as quick as possible) and no later than 19:00 was in my favorite armchair, surrounded by the study materials (as I said - on paper =))

* Studied form 19:00 till 1 past midnight and went straight to bed.

(I think being organized from 17:40 to 19:00 was key, so as to secure a 6 hour chunk of continuous time)

My girlfriend is very, very supportive and understanding. Could not have done it if she were different I guess...

Edit: I am not counting the audio-learning time in the subway, etc. =)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ESADE '15 (A)
Send PM
thetiming wrote:
Quote:

* Took off from work at 17:00, was at home at 17:40, prepared stuff for the following day, had dinner, etc (as quick as possible) and no later than 19:00 was in my favorite armchair, surrounded by the study materials (as I said - on paper =))

(I think being organized from 17:40 to 19:00 was key, so as to secure a 6 hour chunk of continuous time)

My girlfriend is very, very supportive and understanding. Could not have done it if she were different I guess...

Wow!
This is amazing! I am able to manage just about 1.5-2 hours everyday for study!
I will try out your tips.

Thanks a lot for sharing them!

[+1 :)]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
thetiming wrote:
Quote:

Wow!!! pretty impressive! I come back home from work around 5:30 and haven't been able to study for more than 30 mins without a nap, which always translates to a 1-2 hrs sleep and throws-off my entire schedule. I am just struggling to balance GMAT with my slothfulness.
GMAT Club Bot