Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4447 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [1]
Send PM
Re: Statistician: Changes in the Sun's luminosity correlate exceedingly we [#permalink]
HongHu wrote:
This is a hard one, I think I'll take E.

Honghu, how does (E) -appeals to the authoritativeness of an opinion without evaluating the merit of a putative counterexample - tie in to the answer? :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [4]
Send PM
Re: Statistician: Changes in the Sun's luminosity correlate exceedingly we [#permalink]
Kudos
vprabhala wrote:
can you please explain why E?

The statistician concluded that the sun control earth's temperature with a regression. The meteologist dismiss this claim, not after debating why it is wrong, but to appeal to the authority of other meterologists' opinion, saying that they all agree it is impossible.

An example could be this:

A: I found some evidences that lead me to suspect that the scientists are wrong in saying that the earth is round.
B: But all the scientists say that the earth is round.
What B should have done is to look at A's evidences and refute them on their own merit. For all we know all the scientists could be wrong.

Originally posted by HongHu on 14 Mar 2005, 11:00.
Last edited by HongHu on 15 Mar 2005, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
HongHu wrote:
vprabhala wrote:
can you please explain why E?

The statistician concluded that sun control's earth temperature with a regression. The meteologist dismiss this claim, not after debating why it is wrong, but to appeal to the authority of other meterologists' opinion, saying that they all agree it is impossible.

An example could be this:

A: I found some evidences that lead me to suspect that the scientists are wrong in saying that the earth is round.
B: But all the scientists say that the earth is round.
What B should have done is to look at A's evidences and refute them on their own merit. For all we know all the scientists could be wrong.

Honghu, I can't find anything in the passage that appeals to the authority of other meterologist's opinion. In fact, it seesm most of the other meteorologists believe that the sun controls earth's temperature (exactly how, we do not know). This is given to us in the statistician's claim "and contrary to accepted opinion among meteorologists"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
The statician says: Contrary to what meterologists believe, the sun controls earth's temperature. This implies that meterologists don't believe the sun controls the earth's temperature.

And then the meteologist says: Any meteologist will tell you etc etc. He was trying to use the opinion of any meterologist as the authority to refute the statistican's argument, without really look into his argument.

It's like when two children argues about whether C is a bad guy.
A: I don't think C is a bad guy.
B: But my dad says he is!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4447 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, HongHu.

The OA is really E. I adimire your brilliant.

Also please give me more explanation to refute A.

I didn't see any error in vprabhala's reasoning before.

Sometimes correcting the wrong answer is more important than picking the right answer.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
A would be correct if this is how the argument goes:

A: The sun is one of the factors that affect the earth temperature.
B: That is not right. There are other factors.

However in our question it goes like this:
A: Essentially the sun is the only factor that affect the earth temperature.
B: All the meteologists will tell you that this is not right.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
A says "rejects a partial explanation, not because it is incorrect, but only because it is not complete". But in the first statement by the statistician, is there really an explanation. There doesn't seem to be one, as he's just stating a correlation he observed, and using which he made some conclusion. So I think we can reject (A) on this basis.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
10 second question if you know what "logical fallacies are" ; it is a clear appeal to authority case - "many meteorologist..", citing an authoritative source to bolster the argument without actually countering the facts
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
How are B and c wrong here? Couldn't get it
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
TBT wrote:
How are B and c wrong here? Couldn't get it

Please see below.

Quote:
Statistician: Changes in the Sun's luminosity correlate exceedingly well with average land temperatures on Earth. Clearly-and contrary to accepted opinion among meteorologist's, the Sun's luminosity essentially controls land temperatures on Earth.

Meteorologist: I disagree. Any professional meteorologist will tell you that in a system as complicated as that giving rise to the climate, no significant aspect can be controlled by a single variable.

The reasoning in the meteorologist's counterargument questionable because that argument

(A) rejects a partial explanation, not because it is incorrect, but only because it is not complete - WRONG. We are not sure about 'partial explanation'; okay may be because of external knowledge we know it is. But, then we would be wrong to do so. Also, incorrectness is similar to applying external knowledge. Finally, completeness is what we might conclude that meteorologist concludes.

(B) fails to distinguish phenomena that exist independently of a particular system from phenomena that exist only as part of the system - WRONG. The word 'independently' is causing major issue.

(C) calls into question the existence of a correlation when the only real issue is that of how to interpret the correlation - WRONG. Meteorologist didn't question the existence of that correlation.

(D) dismisses a hypothesis on the grounds that it fails to deal with any matters of scientific significant - WRONG. Point blank wrong.

(E) appeals to the authoritativeness of an opinion without evaluating the merit of a putative counterexample - CORRECT. Appealing is fine. But reasoning is not debated enough before disagreement.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts