Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Info Systems and Technology
Schools:Virginia Tech
 Q37  V26 GMAT 2: 610  Q39  V35
GPA: 3.542
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Send PM
Re: I'm scared of the GMAT... [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I made the same mistake of underestimating the test the first time I took it. I ended up with a 650. It's a good score but I have a work ex of only 2.5 years and I plan to apply to top notch B-schools :( 650 is not good enough...

I wanted to apply for round 3 intake Fall 2011. So I studied for two months and got a score of 710. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it in time. I have to apply for Fall 2012 now... I plan to re-take the GMAT and I am confident that I can cross the 760 barrier. That is my new GMAT goal ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Given the fact that you had 1270 on the GRE, you have reasons to believe that you can attain a 600 on the GMAT. Though the GRE is easier than the GMAT , but at least the GRE scores at least partially indicate your ability to perform on the GMAT.
I myself had a bad score on the first attempt on the GMAT.I was really bad at Verbal. However, by following the right strategy,right books and by keeping my progress always under the scanner, I could improve it by a 100 points. If I could do it(and trust me, I am not one of the super intelligent guys) ,I'm sure that you can also get your target score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
aznboi986 wrote:
Howdy folks, first time poster and just discovered this site.

Took the GMAT almost 2 years ago with 2 weeks of studying 6 hours a day. Only used the OG and the practice tests from GMAC. Needless to say, I didn't do so well. 530 total with a 37 Quant and 26 Verbal.

I took the GRE and scored a 1270 with a 750 Quant and 520 Verbal.

I'm trying to score a 600, which I know many of you may laugh at, but I'm not trying to get into a top tier program. I really have problems with Data Sufficiency, Probability, and working with Squares and Exponents.

I've been advised that my greatest score increase will come from improving my verbal score.

I know that there is a ton of information on this forum; I just wanted to give yall my background and could use some words of encouragement. Thanks, guys.

"first time poster and just discovered this site" - this will be the crucial difference between your previous attempt and your next - you have found a place where people share their knowledge gleaned from hundreds of thousands of hours of preparation, failed & successful attempts, frustrations and wins...

Take a look around and you will find invaluable gems such as:

GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey

Best GMAT Books

Best GMAT Stories! - Invaluable debriefs...

Retaking The GMAT Strategies

Last time, you have been attacked by an enemy in the dark.
Now you can attack it, standing on the shoulders of thousands of fallen and victorious generals :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
nothing wrong with a healthy dose of fear...
Director
Director
Send PM
thetiming wrote:
Take a look around and you will find invaluable gems such as:
Last time, you have been attacked by an enemy in the dark.
Now you can attack it, standing on the shoulders of thousands of fallen and victorious generals :wink:

Absolutely! The cumulative experience of so many test takers are at your disposal! Use it to your advantage [;)]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance , Banking, Economics
Schools:Waaayyy....in the future - Booth!!
 Q34  V26
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The exam itself is not that hard. But fear can destroy everything. Fear and stress took away most of my study time and so I know I could have done better. I'm still getting into Masters program in the school of my choice but I know that I will need a higher GMAT score in the future to fulfill my career goals. Just don't let the fear take over you. Its just an exam and all you need to do is perform your best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Every body here respects the fact that you want to achieve a 600, to each his own, but it doesn't hurt to aim higher and with 530, you are quite close! Just follow this clubs best posts listed above, use these resources, and develop endurance by giving enuf practice CATS.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Also I appreciate the fact that you know your weaknesses. Probability, number properties, combinatories, roots, inequalities- no one deals with them better than the MGMAT strat guides, I hope you used them or are planning to. For me verbal is all about SC, you need to be very sharp on these as though actual solving time on SC is miniscule, it can get very tricky.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Agree with msneemo, the test and its contents are not hard to master but the test itself is a little intimidating and that's one aspect that we need to work on as we go through our prep. Aim for a score of around 630-650 in your practice test(do the AWA's every time you take a test) and you should be good for a 600 on the actual test day.
Director
Director
Send PM
When you write any test, try and look at as an opportunity to apply everything you have learned! This little change in attitude will work miracles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Welcome to the forum from a fellow forum newbie.

Don't let your fear of taking the GMAT hurt you. Use it to let you know that you need to study hard for it. Two weeks is a very short period of prep time for a test as substantial as the GMAT. The more you study and the more practice exams you take, the more the information and question structure can be burned into your memory.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
My suggestion, play some sports. It may sound dumb now, but the physical exercise will help you gain confidence and make you happier.

If you are at a 530, just sit down for a month or two with MGMAT books, and I promise you, you will rock the test.

When sat for my first practice test, I got a 460. But I didn't let that stop me. After two months I got a 590. After three I got a 650. But on the actual test I dropped to a 600. If 600 is what you are aiming for, you can definitely do it. Just put in a couple hours of day for GMAT, and you will begin to realize how easily you can divide up your day and make yourself productive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for all of the advice, fellow GMATers. After about 2 weeks of studying a few hours a day, I took my first practice test (the free Manhattan GMAT).

I scored a 640 (44 Q and 34 V). Compare that to my actual score two years ago of 37 Q and 26 V.

I watched a verbal course video from Manhattan and I think that really helped explain how to approach sentence correction (split and resplit).

Now, my math score also jumped, and I'm not really sure why. More details to come. Thanks again for your words of encouragement!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So some of the things I still need to improve on that should be fairly easy to nail once I figure things out:

1. Working with exponents: negative exponents, fractions raised to the nth power, exponents that ARE fractions

2. Factoring: I have a hard time knowing when to factor stuff out and the rules of factoring

3. Putting questions into algebraic terms: Almost every question seems like it can be translated into an algebraic equation. I have a hard time doing that.

4. Square roots: Basically the rules for adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing numbers that are under the square root symbol
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just took a Kaplan practice test (no essays)

Score breakdown is 39 Q and 40 V for a 630.

I'm not sure how I did so well on the verbal or why my quant is relatively low. How is Kaplan compared to the actual GMAT and Manhattan?

Most of my incorrect answers were from Data Sufficiency and Sentence Correction...so I guess I know what I need to improve.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Wow! its a great progress. how many practice tests are you planning to take and when is your real test?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
desiaggie1980 wrote:
Wow! its a great progress. how many practice tests are you planning to take and when is your real test?

Thanks. I take it on May 13 and plan on doing at least 1 practice test per week up until the test. I really haven't practiced any verbal, but I guess I've kind of grasped the concept of CR and RC now.

Sentence correction will always be my weakness, so I should probably get on that.

My math skills are still a bit weak. Equations (put x in terms of y) and manipulating equations are my weakpoint right now. Also have some trouble with population questions.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2