Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Cambridge (rej w/o int) LBS (rej w/o int) Oxford (admit)
 Q50  V31 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V38
GPA: 6.8 out of 10
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink]
Hi,

Can you please let us know those two college names?

- YM

topMBAwannabe wrote:
Please let me know if they forward transcripts b/c I couldn't event participate (apparently didn't meet system requirements)... Oh well I did, however, get the username and password for the intranet, but didn't find anything much helpful there... Also, was a bit surprised and annoyed by the fact that only 2 colleges have spaces available.... I got in at first round and logged in as soon as I got my details and almost nothing available?! Not even tempelton green...
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
This thread is too quiet! Did anyone hear anything from SBS today?
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I've posted a blog article about the employment data we have collected for the most recent Cambridge MBA graduating class (ie those who entered in 2009 and graduated in 2010).

https://www.thecambridgembaadmissions.co ... r-mba2010/

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge Judge Business School
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Conrad,

Thank you very much for the link. Such open discussion is very useful. And your point on PE/VC jobs helps. Couple of questions though

1) Is it possible to write a bit more on why MC jobs are difficult to get as well? Is the difficulty level same as that of IB or that of PE/VC?
2) The last point in your article mentioned about balancing study and networking time. For the people who come from traditional MBA feeder background, it should not be a big problem as they have their jobs booked mostly. However, people who come from other backgrounds would have to spend more time on networking in order to get the desired job. The one year MBA allows somewhat less time for networking compared with 2 year MBA. Is it possible to have option to stretch the 12 month program into 15 month program? Such option would help people who are in between one year MBA and 2 year MBA. I am trying to check for something similar to Oxford-SBS' 15 month option for the people who intend to do summer internship. I apologize for bringing the topic about the other place.

regards
YM

CambridgeMBA wrote:
I've posted a blog article about the employment data we have collected for the most recent Cambridge MBA graduating class (ie those who entered in 2009 and graduated in 2010).

https://www.thecambridgembaadmissions.co ... r-mba2010/

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge Judge Business School
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.95
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hello all,

I received the application decision from Oxford University Said Business School. Declined. Obviously, I am disappointed, but strangely, not discouraged.

Here is my information:

US Male / 40 yrs
3 bachelor of science degrees: BS Aerospace Engineering
BS Physics
BS Astronomy

Undergrad GPA: 2.5 (not so good)
Current Graduate GPA: 4.0 (perfect) studying at local AACSB accredited graduate business school)
Experience: 3.5 yrs (Metallurgical engineering)
GMAT results: 710 (50Q 37V 6.0 essay)

I enrolled in August of 2010 at a local MBA program to demonstrate to elite MBA programs that my undergradualte GPA was not indicative of my scholastic capability. Apparently, my academic excellence at the graduate level in an accredited business school did not weigh significantly in Said Business School's decision to admit. My GMAT score is comparable or better than the average GMAT score of students admitted to Said Business School. I also thought three undergraduate degrees would be a positive contributor to my application.

I'm curious what else I can do to demonstrate my ability to excel at an elite business school. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, SJD
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
SJD wrote:
Hello all,

I received the application decision from Oxford University Said Business School. Declined. Obviously, I am disappointed, but strangely, not discouraged.

Here is my information:

US Male / 40 yrs
BS Physics
BS Astronomy

Current Graduate GPA: 4.0 (perfect) studying at local AACSB accredited graduate business school)

I enrolled in August of 2010 at a local MBA program to demonstrate to elite MBA programs that my undergradualte GPA was not indicative of my scholastic capability. Apparently, my academic excellence at the graduate level in an accredited business school did not weigh significantly in Said Business School's decision to admit. My GMAT score is comparable or better than the average GMAT score of students admitted to Said Business School. I also thought three undergraduate degrees would be a positive contributor to my application.

I'm curious what else I can do to demonstrate my ability to excel at an elite business school. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, SJD

too old, no PhD

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
mysamgmatclub wrote:

I received the interview invite yesterday :-D .... yet to finalize the interview date...
anybody else heard from them ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.95
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
zoran wrote:
mysamgmatclub wrote:

I received the interview invite yesterday :-D .... yet to finalize the interview date...
anybody else heard from them ?

Congratulations to you
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
YM

Most MBA students want to go into one of the top strategy houses in London or New York. The reality is that there aren't that many new positions offered every year in those companies (the likes of McK, BCG, Bain, Booz). You can expand your choice by considering positions in those companies in growth offices such as China or India. Or look at other consulting firms.

I don't think the length of programme matters as much as how much time and drive you have. I am not 100% up to date with SBS but do they still offer the 15 month programme? We don't offer such an option and even if we did, I doubt there will be much impact on careers because it is not in synch with most firms' recruiting cycle.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge University
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi SJD,

I am sorry about the ding. As a fellow applicant, I have the following comments with my limited research. Your ding could have been because of various reasons.

1. Your current MBA as a degree to show higher academic capacity might not be a good selling point. First of all, post grad. GPA is not considered serious indicator of academic strength compared with under grad. And the second itching point is that it is another MBA. You would have to do very strongly to justify as why you are applying for another MBA when you are already enrolled in one. A second MBA might be justifiable if you had done first one long ago (say 10 years ago for your age). And you will have to do a lot to address these points in your essays.
2. Post MBA goals : At 40 and with multiple degrees, you can not possibly project yourself as career changer with elite schools. I am not saying it is impossible. But it is near impossible. On other hand, if you had projected yourself as career accelerator, then why not part time MBA? You will have to answer this question as well.
3. More than a post grad degree, your GMAT score carries more weightage to show your academic capacity at this age. In fact, your undergrads might not matter much if you had done them 10 years ago. Bumping your GMAT score by another 40 points might help in showing your academic rigor.

Elite schools usually look for either super achievers or someone with a lot of non profit activity or both. If you are in first category, then you might consider Sloan program for leadership at many top schools.

All the best.

tc
YM

SJD wrote:
Hello all,

Here is my information:

US Male / 40 yrs
BS Physics
BS Astronomy

Thanks in advance, SJD
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you Conrad. I appreciate your time in responding to my queries. Your information about India/China jobs is very encouraging as I am on of those people wanting to move back to India.

- YM

CambridgeMBA wrote:
YM

Most MBA students want to go into one of the top strategy houses in London or New York. The reality is that there aren't that many new positions offered every year in those companies (the likes of McK, BCG, Bain, Booz). You can expand your choice by considering positions in those companies in growth offices such as China or India. Or look at other consulting firms.

I don't think the length of programme matters as much as how much time and drive you have. I am not 100% up to date with SBS but do they still offer the 15 month programme? We don't offer such an option and even if we did, I doubt there will be much impact on careers because it is not in synch with most firms' recruiting cycle.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge University
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CambridgeMBA wrote:
YM

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge University

SBS has closed the 15 months option... its a 12 month program now.... came to know about this in a SBS consultation sesion...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you very much. The information helps.

- YM

zoran wrote:
CambridgeMBA wrote:
YM

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge University

SBS has closed the 15 months option... its a 12 month program now.... came to know about this in a SBS consultation sesion...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone invited to interview on 16th May at SBS here?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aimmbalondon wrote:

I have my Skype interview scheduled on 17 May....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
aimmbalondon wrote:

I'm interviewing at SBS on May 16th in the morning.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just put in my Cambridge JBS app. for last round. :) . Now the waiting game begins.

-- YM
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28