Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Hello,

Could you please evaluate my profile based on the following information:

1.) Education

Bachelor of Engineering - Mechanical Engineering - 71% Aggregate - India
PG Diploma - Advanced Manufacturing Technology and Systems Management - Pass - University of Manchester - UK

2.) Work Experience

2.5 years by now - 4/5 years at the time of matriculation.
Family Business - Working as General Manager - started my stint in inventory management - took some good effective initiatives - implemented Inventory Management Techniques such as ABC Analysis, Economic Order Quantity estimation for about 5000 parts in the inventory - estimated the operation cost of the warehouse with these techniques - marginally reduced the operative costs to about 60% of before. Impressive!
took charge as a plant manager to set up a building material (aggregate) manufacturing plant in a village with my team of 20 people and further hired contractors and labor on my own - successfully set up the plant which is now in a running condition already - formed a joint venture with a company from Malaysia to supply them the material on a consistent basis - liaison with the project manager of that company on a daily basis to resolve day to day issues (transportation, financial etc) - reported directly to the Chairman of my company.

Now, I am promoted as a General Manager of the company and into setting up of a sponge iron plant of 200 Tonnes per day capacity - the company has also proposed a 10 MW power plant in the future for which I will be the incharge again - I am right now looking after its civil construction and assisting the labor and the contractors hired by me few months ago - trying to handle the project professionally with the help of tools like Microsoft Project, ERP, Excel Spreadsheets.

Company's employee strength -- 400

Have formed a charity organization which funds the education of our employees' children - motivate them to perform good in their academics in order to avail these benefits - have provided 3 lacs INR till now - this helps our employees too - they feel quite secured and consequently they get motivated to work hard.

Can write good essays demonstrating my leadership and management potential.

GMAT - yet to take! will target 720+ !

Please evaluate my profile based on the information given above and also mention potential admits.
Thanks

Chaitanya Bhansali

Chaitanya,
Your family business achievements, responsibilities and promotions are impressive (based on our experience, HBS will particularly appreciate this). Certainly something to play on in the application, and possibly in your career plan as well.
On the basis of the information above, and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 720, our experience shows that you will be a competitive candidate at schools such as NYU and Darden, competitive-to-stretch at Columbia and HBS, competitive-to-stretch at Wharton (closer to stretch), competitive to strong (closer to competitive) at Cornell, Duke and UCLA, competitive to strong at Tepper, and strong with potential for a significant scholarship at schools such as McCombs, USC and UNC.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com

Put Me in Business (applying in less than a year)
Put Me in Business (applying in more than a year)
MBA essay examples
Get A Free Chances Indication

Originally posted by GilLevi on 16 Apr 2011, 00:38.
Last edited by GilLevi on 24 Jan 2012, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hello Gil,

Speaking of GMAT, what is the schools’ attitude to candidates who took the GMAT more than once? Do you think that an old (low) score might hurt admission chances?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, would appreciate a quick assessment on the below profile.

FT MBA
GPA: 3.8 in Economics (distinction), cum laude from HYP school, class of '07
EC's: 4 year varsity team member, various other clubs & publications. Worked, studied, volunteered abroad extensively (every summer) during college.
GMAT: 700 (47 Q, 40 V), took back in '07 just after starting work.

Work Experience: 2 years private equity in US after graduation, 1.5-2 years venture capital in frontier emerging market in southeast Asia (work is more operational/entrepeneurial than finance related since we work pretty extensively with the companies we invest in)

EC's: Some volunteer work, tutoring & teaching experience, do a fair bit of interviewing and marketing for alma mater here in Asia, manage a softball team in a local expat softball league, significant amount of time though has been devoted to studying the local language with a tutor.

I am looking to apply to a few schools this fall '11. Likely going to focus on the top 10. I work with HBS alums and one or two would give a good recommendation.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
 Q49  V34
GPA: 3.61
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom
Send PM
Hi Gil,

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my profile:

29 / Male / Indonesian
BS in Computer Science from top 10 US public school / GPA: 3.61 / GMAT: 690 Q49, V34
WE: Sr. Software Engineer / 6 Years in Telecommunication Industry startup in the US / 2010 Employee of the year
ECs: Tech chair of a local professional organization, founded local soccer club, won some local sports competitions during college

I'm thinking of getting a more business-oriented degree to compliment my technical background. I figured it would help me in the long run as I try to transition to a more business side of things in Southeast Asia. In the longer term, I would like to start my own business.

With those goals in mind, I'm looking for a good school with a well-known brand in Asia. For financial and time reasons, I would also love it if it's less than 2 years. I understand that most US schools are 2-year long but that's a consideration I would have to make (time-and-money vs brand). Aside from US schools, INSEAD sounds like a school I would love going to (1-year, top school with campus in post-MBA career area: Singapore).

What do you think my chances are for INSEAD? What other schools would you recommend and also my chances at those schools?

Thanks.
Send PM
Hi, would appreciate a quick assessment on the below profile.

FT MBA
GPA: 3.8 in Economics (distinction), cum laude from HYP school, class of '07
EC's: 4 year varsity team member, various other clubs & publications. Worked, studied, volunteered abroad extensively (every summer) during college.
GMAT: 700 (47 Q, 40 V), took back in '07 just after starting work.

Work Experience: 2 years private equity in US after graduation, 1.5-2 years venture capital in frontier emerging market in southeast Asia (work is more operational/entrepeneurial than finance related since we work pretty extensively with the companies we invest in)

EC's: Some volunteer work, tutoring & teaching experience, do a fair bit of interviewing and marketing for alma mater here in Asia, manage a softball team in a local expat softball league, significant amount of time though has been devoted to studying the local language with a tutor.

I am looking to apply to a few schools this fall '11. Likely going to focus on the top 10. I work with HBS alums and one or two would give a good recommendation.

Impressive profile. There's still quite some time until round 1, so you may want to spend the time upgrading your GMAT score a bit (based on what you describe, it sounds doable...).
On the basis of the information above, and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations, our experience shows that you will be a competitive candidate at HBS and Wharton, competitive-to-stretch at Stanford (closer to competitive), competitive-to-strong (closer to strong) at schools such as Tuck and Darden, competitive-to-strong (closer to competitive) at Chicago, MIT and Columbia, and competitive-to-strong at Kellogg.

Thanks
You're welcome. Good luck!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com

Get a free online chances indication now (no registration required)
MBA essay examples

Originally posted by GilLevi on 25 Apr 2011, 22:08.
Last edited by GilLevi on 24 Jan 2012, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Hi Gil,

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my profile:

29 / Male / Indonesian
BS in Computer Science from top 10 US public school / GPA: 3.61 / GMAT: 690 Q49, V34
WE: Sr. Software Engineer / 6 Years in Telecommunication Industry startup in the US / 2010 Employee of the year
ECs: Tech chair of a local professional organization, founded local soccer club, won some local sports competitions during college

I'm thinking of getting a more business-oriented degree to compliment my technical background. I figured it would help me in the long run as I try to transition to a more business side of things in Southeast Asia. In the longer term, I would like to start my own business.

With those goals in mind, I'm looking for a good school with a well-known brand in Asia. For financial and time reasons, I would also love it if it's less than 2 years. I understand that most US schools are 2-year long but that's a consideration I would have to make (time-and-money vs brand). Aside from US schools, INSEAD sounds like a school I would love going to (1-year, top school with campus in post-MBA career area: Singapore).

What do you think my chances are for INSEAD? What other schools would you recommend and also my chances at those schools?

On the basis of the information above, and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations, our experience shows that you will be a competitive candidate at INSEAD. As to 1-year (or 18 month) programs in the US, consider Columbia and MIT Fellows (competitive-to-stretch in both), Emory (strong), Cornell (competitive-to-strong, closer to competitive), Kellogg (competitive-to-stretch) and Babson (fits well with your entrepreneurial plans, strong),

Thanks.
You're welcome. Good luck!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi Gil,

Thanks for taking out time and reading my profile It’s a relatively longer one
Current Age - 28 yrs old
Nationality : Indian Male( fortunately/unfortunately neither into IT nor an Engineer)
Educational Background: Qualified Chartered Accountant( ACA/CPA)- First attempt - , ICWAI ( CIMA) - First attempt and CMA( USA). Both schooling ( 10th and 12th) and graduation( B.Com) from Indias' top 10 Schools.

Work Experience
I have 7 years of experience (+ 3 years Article ship with Price Waterhouse) in Investment banking, Private Equity, Valuations and M&A having worked with Deutsche Bank, HSBC, GE Capital - Private Equity and Shell India. Have around 3 years of international experience out of those 7 yrs. All these intl exp are for valuations, due diligence and market study/competitor analysis. Infact I have worked in more than 24 countries around the world in those 3 years ( Whole of Europe, IND, USA, UK, AUZ, NZ, ME)
Have significant leadership and people management experience in both current and in the past profiles. Currently working as an M&A and strategy lead reporting to the CFO of an major Oil Drilling company in Muscat, Oman. Looking out for potential Acquisitions targets ~$300 Mio to $ 500 Mio. in the oil field services Industry across continents. Hence extensive travel to places, oil fields (interior of Arabs nations, rigs and hoists). As of now independently working on the IPO of the company and would be going public in next 1 year. This would be the first IPO coming out of an Oil Services company in this part of the world. Designing the Preliminary IPO process, our company positioning the market, Prelim Valuation incl that of competitors (EV, EBITDA Multiples..) and listing considerations..

Achievements:
-Received university top score of 100% in Quants- Statistics..
-Was selected amongst 50 Employees out of 100,000 to undergo the prestigious GE Finance Leadership Program. - An International rotational program of 2 years with 6 months on each project, Worked on FX/Treasury, M&A, Corporate finance and Internal controls.
- Undergone the leadership program of Shell Oil& Gas Company. Sponsored by Shell Hague at their headquarters- full time 2 months program.
- I am also a certified assessor by CII ( confederation of Indian industries) and a certified treasury manager by catalyst consulting group
- Couple of M&A deals of > $ 500 Mio in oil&gas sphere ( Australia and Europe )
- Very good bid/tender contract experience in oil field drilling services ( projects> $50 M) in ME, NZ and Aus.

Extra curricular:
-Stated a group called "Mavericks" consisting of all F1 fans. I, along with couple of friends, started it and i am still an active member of it.( started it in 2000)
-Helped our office staff understand the importance of recycling paper and effective usage of paper. Hired a vendor subsequently and ordered the diaries and calendars of the following year using the recycled paper of our office.
-Part of 'Citizen Journalist' program of BBC during the General Elections in '09.Travelledn to interior district of Andhra Pradesh, India to understand the real problems of people, captured their views/sentiments through pictures and videos and shared the data with BBC, London.
- A member of our society committee which helps in the day-to-day management of things the locality
-Founded and operated a small coffee shop/canteen (with around 10 employees) during the college days and subsequently sold it to a larger chain of canteen. Started with an Initial Investment of Rs 8000( USD 200) and sold it at Rs 1,60,000( USD 4000) and used my share of money to fund my further education.

Community service
-worked with an NGO in India during the Tsunami in India in 2004. Visited Nagapatanam and was there for a month and helped rebuild the houses and village.
- Been an active member of Teach India Campaign for last 2-3 years.
-Stated a group in our locality to help people understand the effective and efficient usage of water and helped in putting thru a rain water harvesting plant in the locality. Was a huge responsibility to coordinate with the bureaucrats and convince them for approvals
-worked with an NGO which works for people who have problems related to Eye.
- Currently working with an international NGO for the education and rehabilitation of poor Arab children- Interiors of Oman.

GMAT in Dec 2008 - 610. Will be writing again in next 2-3 months. Expect a score of minimum 680.. My goal post MBA is to work for a BB IBD-M&A group in London/HK/SGP.( SGP - preferably). I would surely try for PE/VC as well but I know it’s very difficult to get into one with prior esp. PE/VC from a B School. But the first preference would be BB - M&A in Singapore.

I have in past 5 years done a lot of research n US/Europe B schools. I know with my low GMAT I’m probably not in any sight of any Top school (610 though makes in 80% range of some of the good schools). A lot of consultants/ex-students told me I can get into some schools like IESE, Simon, and ESADE with this score. But then, I don’t want to do an MBA just because I need one to move up in career and do it from some university. I want to do it from a good and reputed institute (not that above ones aren’t), where learning is a focus. and diversity is well regarded. I want to learn and contribute to the environment. My preference is to do a 12- 18 Months Full time MBA.

Please let me know your opinion on my profile and suggest some schools or alternatives. Planning to apply to Insead Jan 2013, LBS and IMD (R2 2012). Insead has in past stated that they are fine with 70% cut off in each section of GMAT, not sure if that’s what they stick to in reality..
Do you think my chances would improve significantly at schools like LBS/Insead/IMD if I improve my GMAT by 60 -70 points? How much of my international experience of working in 24 -28 countries coupled with my leadership experience would be of interest to INSEAD and how much will they appreciate it while deciding my candidature,.
Thanks a lot Gil for helping me .
Sudhir
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Male- 25years, Indian

Hi GIL,
Can u please evaluate my profile and let me know if i should apply this year or work on my profile to make it better.. Thanks!

I am graduate from IIT- Delhi, Btech batch of 2009
I was working with a top oil and gas company in its project execution department for a year
i quit that job and now i am working with a management consulting firm, working across verticals with fortune 1000 companies dealing with projects aimed towards market entry strategy, market research, etc.

Btech- IIT- Delhi
CFA Level1- pass
My GPA from college- 7.1/10
12th CBSE- 80%
10 CBSE- 85%
Gmat- 730/ 5 (quant-50, verbal-38)
current work ex- 2 years
work ex by 2012 intake- more than 3 years

Extra curricular-
1) professionally trained in Dance (jazz and salsa) by well known indian dance schools-performed in various shows at the national level, member of the event organising team of the dance schools;
2)professionally trained in classical music;
3) district level swimmer
4) associated with an NGO for blind children. donating money for the past 10 years on a monthly basis

I should be able to manage strong recommendation letters from both my current and previous employers and from my academic institution.

I am planning to apply to top Bschools for the 2012 intake of their MBA programs, which schools should i target? which B-schools do i have a good/ average/ dream chance of getting into?
How good are the chances of getting a scholarship and in which universities?
how is IESE spain in terms of job prospects, or is getting a job in europe a problem after an mba from IESE?

Thanks and best regards!
Send PM
Hello Gil,

Speaking of GMAT, what is the schools’ attitude to candidates who took the GMAT more than once? Do you think that an old (low) score might hurt admission chances?

In most cases (unless specifically stated otherwise by the school), the lower scores have low to negligible impact. The highest score counts the most by far.
Good luck!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com

MBA Essay Examples

Originally posted by GilLevi on 30 Apr 2011, 22:55.
Last edited by GilLevi on 04 Mar 2012, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Hi Gil,

Current Age - 28 yrs old
Nationality : Indian Male( fortunately/unfortunately neither into IT nor an Engineer)
Educational Background: Qualified Chartered Accountant( ACA/CPA)- First attempt - , ICWAI ( CIMA) - First attempt and CMA( USA). Both schooling ( 10th and 12th) and graduation( B.Com) from Indias' top 10 Schools.

Work Experience
I have 7 years of experience (+ 3 years Article ship with Price Waterhouse) in Investment banking, Private Equity, Valuations and M&A having worked with Deutsche Bank, HSBC, GE Capital - Private Equity and Shell India. Have around 3 years of international experience out of those 7 yrs. All these intl exp are for valuations, due diligence and market study/competitor analysis. Infact I have worked in more than 24 countries around the world in those 3 years ( Whole of Europe, IND, USA, UK, AUZ, NZ, ME)
Have significant leadership and people management experience in both current and in the past profiles. Currently working as an M&A and strategy lead reporting to the CFO of an major Oil Drilling company in Muscat, Oman. Looking out for potential Acquisitions targets ~$300 Mio to $ 500 Mio. in the oil field services Industry across continents. Hence extensive travel to places, oil fields (interior of Arabs nations, rigs and hoists). As of now independently working on the IPO of the company and would be going public in next 1 year. This would be the first IPO coming out of an Oil Services company in this part of the world. Designing the Preliminary IPO process, our company positioning the market, Prelim Valuation incl that of competitors (EV, EBITDA Multiples..) and listing considerations..

Achievements:
-Received university top score of 100% in Quants- Statistics..
-Was selected amongst 50 Employees out of 100,000 to undergo the prestigious GE Finance Leadership Program. - An International rotational program of 2 years with 6 months on each project, Worked on FX/Treasury, M&A, Corporate finance and Internal controls.
- Undergone the leadership program of Shell Oil& Gas Company. Sponsored by Shell Hague at their headquarters- full time 2 months program.
- I am also a certified assessor by CII ( confederation of Indian industries) and a certified treasury manager by catalyst consulting group
- Couple of M&A deals of > $ 500 Mio in oil&gas sphere ( Australia and Europe )
- Very good bid/tender contract experience in oil field drilling services ( projects> $50 M) in ME, NZ and Aus.

Extra curricular:
-Stated a group called "Mavericks" consisting of all F1 fans. I, along with couple of friends, started it and i am still an active member of it.( started it in 2000)
-Helped our office staff understand the importance of recycling paper and effective usage of paper. Hired a vendor subsequently and ordered the diaries and calendars of the following year using the recycled paper of our office.
-Part of 'Citizen Journalist' program of BBC during the General Elections in '09.Travelledn to interior district of Andhra Pradesh, India to understand the real problems of people, captured their views/sentiments through pictures and videos and shared the data with BBC, London.
- A member of our society committee which helps in the day-to-day management of things the locality
-Founded and operated a small coffee shop/canteen (with around 10 employees) during the college days and subsequently sold it to a larger chain of canteen. Started with an Initial Investment of Rs 8000( USD 200) and sold it at Rs 1,60,000( USD 4000) and used my share of money to fund my further education.

Community service
-worked with an NGO in India during the Tsunami in India in 2004. Visited Nagapatanam and was there for a month and helped rebuild the houses and village.
- Been an active member of Teach India Campaign for last 2-3 years.
-Stated a group in our locality to help people understand the effective and efficient usage of water and helped in putting thru a rain water harvesting plant in the locality. Was a huge responsibility to coordinate with the bureaucrats and convince them for approvals
-worked with an NGO which works for people who have problems related to Eye.
- Currently working with an international NGO for the education and rehabilitation of poor Arab children- Interiors of Oman.

GMAT in Dec 2008 - 610. Will be writing again in next 2-3 months. Expect a score of minimum 680.. My goal post MBA is to work for a BB IBD-M&A group in London/HK/SGP.( SGP - preferably). I would surely try for PE/VC as well but I know it’s very difficult to get into one with prior esp. PE/VC from a B School. But the first preference would be BB - M&A in Singapore.

I have in past 5 years done a lot of research n US/Europe B schools. I know with my low GMAT I’m probably not in any sight of any Top school (610 though makes in 80% range of some of the good schools). A lot of consultants/ex-students told me I can get into some schools like IESE, Simon, and ESADE with this score. But then, I don’t want to do an MBA just because I need one to move up in career and do it from some university. I want to do it from a good and reputed institute (not that above ones aren’t), where learning is a focus. and diversity is well regarded. I want to learn and contribute to the environment. My preference is to do a 12- 18 Months Full time MBA.

Please let me know your opinion on my profile and suggest some schools or alternatives. Planning to apply to Insead Jan 2013, LBS and IMD (R2 2012). Insead has in past stated that they are fine with 70% cut off in each section of GMAT, not sure if that’s what they stick to in reality..

On the basis of the information above, and under the assumptions of strong essays and recommendations, reasonable B.Com. GPA (not with distinction) and a GMAT score of 680, our experience shows that you will be a competitive candidate at IMD and LBS and competitive-to-stretch at INSEAD. You may also want to consider Cornell's 12-month program (competitive), Kellogg's 12-month program (stretch), and the Cambridge and Oxford programs (competitive to strong in both, closer to competitive).

According to our experience, your admission chances are likely to be a bit higher if:
- You have an arrangement with the Muscat company (your current employer) of being appointed to a senior position there after graduation.
- You connect your career plan more closely with the oil & gas business (i.e. with your prior, significant and relatively unique experience).

Do you think my chances would improve significantly at schools like LBS/Insead/IMD if I improve my GMAT by 60 -70 points?
Yes.
How much of my international experience of working in 24 -28 countries coupled with my leadership experience would be of interest to INSEAD and how much will they appreciate it while deciding my candidature,.
It will be of significant importance. Your experience (and demonstrated leadership and "go-getter" skills) are relatively unique and, in my opinion, impressive, especially considering your age.

Sudhir

You're welcome. Good luck Sudhir!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com

Send PM
Male- 25years, Indian

Hi GIL,
Can u please evaluate my profile and let me know if i should apply this year or work on my profile to make it better.. Thanks!

I am graduate from IIT- Delhi, Btech batch of 2009
I was working with a top oil and gas company in its project execution department for a year
i quit that job and now i am working with a management consulting firm, working across verticals with fortune 1000 companies dealing with projects aimed towards market entry strategy, market research, etc.

Btech- IIT- Delhi
CFA Level1- pass
My GPA from college- 7.1/10
12th CBSE- 80%
10 CBSE- 85%
Gmat- 730/ 5 (quant-50, verbal-38)
current work ex- 2 years
work ex by 2012 intake- more than 3 years

Extra curricular-
1) professionally trained in Dance (jazz and salsa) by well known indian dance schools-performed in various shows at the national level, member of the event organising team of the dance schools;
2)professionally trained in classical music;
3) district level swimmer
4) associated with an NGO for blind children. donating money for the past 10 years on a monthly basis

I should be able to manage strong recommendation letters from both my current and previous employers and from my academic institution.

I am planning to apply to top Bschools for the 2012 intake of their MBA programs, which schools should i target? which B-schools do i have a good/ average/ dream chance of getting into?
How good are the chances of getting a scholarship and in which universities?
Given your background, I am working under the assumption that your interest is mostly in general management programs. On the basis of the information above, and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations, our experience shows that you will be a competitive candidate at INSEAD and Tuck, competitive-to-stretch at Harvard (closer to stretch), stretch as Stanford, competitive-to-strong (closer to competitive) at Darden, Duke, Michigan and IMD and strong with potential for a significant scholarship at schools such as Ivey, IESE, Kelley and UNC.

As to applying this year vs. next year - in your case, it may make sense to apply this year, and, if you're not happy with the results, to apply again next year (possibly with additional promotions/distinctions/achievements under your belt, and with additional application experience). With your level of experience, your current young age is somewhat of an advantage at some of the schools.

how is IESE spain in terms of job prospects, or is getting a job in europe a problem after an mba from IESE?

Our expertise is "how to get accepted", I feel less qualified to answer job-related post-MBA questions... in general, yes, based on what I see and hear, if you don't speak Spanish, your European job prospects post-IESE are significantly narrower compared to LBS or INSEAD.

Thanks and best regards!

Sure. Hope this helps.

Gil Levi
Aringo.com

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I was wondering if schools look at when you took the GMAT. I took the GMAT in mid-2007 and scored a 700 (92%) and am planning to apply to schools in the fall. Since I took the exam the average scores at most schools has gone up 10-20 points - today a 92% is in the 710-720 range. How do schools take this into account, if at all?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Hello Gil. Your story is quite impressive -- thanks a lot for all the insight.

I've asked about my backround before as well, and was wondering if I might throw my profile into this forum too. Link here:

profile-evaluation-another-opinion-112990.html

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Nationality - Indian , male , 24 years old

Education
Gmat-720
CFA-level 2 candidate
BE ( electronics ) -74% , unknown engineering college

Work experience
- Working with Caritas India ( non profit ) as a project coordinator and have also been a consultant on five different income generation projects so far( total work ex so far 1.5 years) . My job is to do a thorough market analysis , and come up with strategies to create small scale units which employ people from the backward sections of the society. So, that these people can have a sustained source of income.
-Interesting aspect of this job is that I get to deal with politicians too .

Entrepreneurship experience:---6 months
- I have always had a passion to teach . My family has been running a couple of private schools for the last 37 years in the city i live in . I started a private sponsorship program along with a few eminent names in the field of education in my city , where we fund the primary education for children who cannot afford to go to private schools . It is a whole business model( 75% of the earnings are used to sponsor these kids , and rest of it is used for day to day operations ). It would take me a whole page to explain how this thing works , but the bottomline is this model is first of it's kind and is doing quite well . We have been able to sponsor 12 children so far and have raised more than 25,000$ in 6 months time. ( indian equivalent is quite high , apparantly you only need 1500-2000$ to sponsor a child's education in india for good 10-12 years )

Leadership/ community service / extracurrics
-won't bore you with a laundry list but i have been involved with quite a few things ( state level singer , sportsmen , and several other entrepreneurship experience ..etc !

My target schools are - UCLA, YALE ( don't know if it's a realistic target !) will be applying for 2013 intake

Post MBA:: HONESTLY i want to work as an advisor to the Government of India and head my own social ventures.
Why MBA ? -A good B-school's name gives you instant recognition amongst the masses and makes your job easier !
( and dismisses the perennial question - "what are you doing with your life?"

So my questions to you are :- You can pretty much see tht i am a jack of all traits sortff a guy i am all over the place !!

1) How do i categorize my work experience?
2) The path i am heading on is non traditional and I would like to know do people get into good MBA programs taking on such paths?
3) General feedbacks on my profile would be greatly appreciated too
looking forward to your reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
GilLevi wrote:
Hi Gil,

On the basis of the information above, and under the assumptions of strong essays and recommendations, reasonable B.Com. GPA (not with distinction) and a GMAT score of 680, our experience shows that you will be a competitive candidate at IMD and LBS and competitive-to-stretch at INSEAD. You may also want to consider Cornell's 12-month program (competitive), Kellogg's 12-month program (stretch), and the Cambridge and Oxford programs (competitive to strong in both, closer to competitive).

According to our experience, your admission chances are likely to be a bit higher if:
- You have an arrangement with the Muscat company (your current employer) of being appointed to a senior position there after graduation.
- You connect your career plan more closely with the oil & gas business (i.e. with your prior, significant and relatively unique experience).

Do you think my chances would improve significantly at schools like LBS/Insead/IMD if I improve my GMAT by 60 -70 points?
Yes.
How much of my international experience of working in 24 -28 countries coupled with my leadership experience would be of interest to INSEAD and how much will they appreciate it while deciding my candidature,.
It will be of significant importance. Your experience (and demonstrated leadership and "go-getter" skills) are relatively unique and, in my opinion, impressive, especially considering your age.

Sudhir

You're welcome. Good luck Sudhir!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com

Thanks for your feedback. Infact I have cleared my Chartered Accountancy and CMA both in First attempt( 0.1% 70,000 odd students) and have distinction in my Bcom as well. I'm currently reporting to the CFO and working on the IPO of the company( First Oil services company in Middle east to go to public).
Do you think I have better chances to get into LBS over Insead? Considering my strong Finance + Oil& gas market experience. I have spoken to you colleague Manish Agarwal and he was very positive on my chances at Insead@ 680 GMAT. Must say , talking with him was a pleasure. A real helpful guy. I promise I wud come back to you guys post GMAT for taking other serivces.

Thanks for helping the students :)
Sudhir
Send PM
Hi, I was wondering if schools look at when you took the GMAT. I took the GMAT in mid-2007 and scored a 700 (92%) and am planning to apply to schools in the fall. Since I took the exam the average scores at most schools has gone up 10-20 points - today a 92% is in the 710-720 range. How do schools take this into account, if at all?

According to our experience, most admission committee members will not take this into account for the simple reason that it's a bit complicated to notice, digest and remember while they have a lot of other stuff (and other applications) to handle.
However, if you bring this up and explain it clearly in the optional essay (or as a separate note, where applicable) then, most likely, this fact will be noticed and understood and will have a small positive effect on your candidacy.
Good luck!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com
Top MBA with GMAT below 710

Send PM
Nationality - Indian , male , 24 years old

Education
Gmat-720
CFA-level 2 candidate
BE ( electronics ) -74% , unknown engineering college

Work experience
- Working with Caritas India ( non profit ) as a project coordinator and have also been a consultant on five different income generation projects so far( total work ex so far 1.5 years) . My job is to do a thorough market analysis , and come up with strategies to create small scale units which employ people from the backward sections of the society. So, that these people can have a sustained source of income.
-Interesting aspect of this job is that I get to deal with politicians too .

Entrepreneurship experience:---6 months
- I have always had a passion to teach . My family has been running a couple of private schools for the last 37 years in the city i live in . I started a private sponsorship program along with a few eminent names in the field of education in my city , where we fund the primary education for children who cannot afford to go to private schools . It is a whole business model( 75% of the earnings are used to sponsor these kids , and rest of it is used for day to day operations ). It would take me a whole page to explain how this thing works , but the bottomline is this model is first of it's kind and is doing quite well . We have been able to sponsor 12 children so far and have raised more than 25,000$ in 6 months time. ( indian equivalent is quite high , apparantly you only need 1500-2000$ to sponsor a child's education in india for good 10-12 years )

Leadership/ community service / extracurrics
-won't bore you with a laundry list but i have been involved with quite a few things ( state level singer , sportsmen , and several other entrepreneurship experience ..etc !

My target schools are - UCLA, YALE ( don't know if it's a realistic target !) will be applying for 2013 intake

Post MBA:: HONESTLY i want to work as an advisor to the Government of India and head my own social ventures.
Why MBA ? -A good B-school's name gives you instant recognition amongst the masses and makes your job easier !
( and dismisses the perennial question - "what are you doing with your life?"

So my questions to you are :- You can pretty much see tht i am a jack of all traits sortff a guy i am all over the place !!

1) How do i categorize my work experience?
2) The path i am heading on is non traditional and I would like to know do people get into good MBA programs taking on such paths?
3) General feedbacks on my profile would be greatly appreciated too
looking forward to your reply

From what you describe it sounds to me like your best bet may be to either run with the non-profit angle or with the entrepreneurial angle (in which case you'd want to focus on the entrepreneurial aspects of your Caritas work and on entrepreneurial stuff you did with your family business even before you started the sponsorship program). My first impression is that the non-profit focus will be easier to convey and present.
As to the non-traditional background and career plan - absolutely. The top programs look to diversify the class. Therefore, often people with unusual background have an easier time getting in.
In terms of your career plan, though, you may want to focus on just one of the two directions you mentioned. Possibly the social ventures one would work better, because it connects well with your background and with the non-profit focus that I mentioned above.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com
Top MBA with GMAT below 710

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  75