Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink]
Hi,

I am currently using the MGMAT Archer because I reckon it is easier. I am wondering, whether there is a tool similar to the MGMAT ARCHER?

I like the fact that you just choose your answer from A-E in the OG books and the MGMAT archer will automatically know what topic that question covers.

I tried the error logs here very briefly, and I noticed that it doesn't work the same way. Is there anything like that? I'll need it for my OG-Quant Version1 of the book.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,

I am trying to use the error log and have entered the data. But somehow stats are not getting generated for me in the error log. Does anyone know what am I supposed to do to get the stats? I am using "Awesome Error log 2.1" on MS Excel 2007.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
sgupta0827 wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to use the error log and have entered the data. But somehow stats are not getting generated for me in the error log. Does anyone know what am I supposed to do to get the stats? I am using "Awesome Error log 2.1" on MS Excel 2007.

Did you scroll up on the Stats Tab of the spreadsheet?
If that does not help, Post your error log here for me to take a look.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
gablaze23 wrote:
Hi,

I am currently using the MGMAT Archer because I reckon it is easier. I am wondering, whether there is a tool similar to the MGMAT ARCHER?

I like the fact that you just choose your answer from A-E in the OG books and the MGMAT archer will automatically know what topic that question covers.

I tried the error logs here very briefly, and I noticed that it doesn't work the same way. Is there anything like that? I'll need it for my OG-Quant Version1 of the book.

Well, we have this tool too: gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-12th-ed-85956.html

I think it may be helpful to combine the two to get the same functionality that Archer has but then why copy? Isn't it free on MGMAT?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
bb wrote:
sgupta0827 wrote:
Hi,

Did you scroll up on the Stats Tab of the spreadsheet?
If that does not help, Post your error log here for me to take a look.

Hi BB,

Thanks for looking into the matter.

Please find attached file. I did scroll up and try couple of things before I posted on this forum.

To your question about Macro, I was enabling using the option that comes on top of the file when one opens the file for the first time. I am not sure if there is another way of enabling Macros in an Excel file.

Attached file has few entries, some with all the details whereas others with few details missing. But I think I have enough number of entries to generate stats.

After I clicked on verbal button to generate stats, the whole Excel sheet turned red, and one row I noticed was grey. I am not sure if it was trying to point me to an error that I made while entering the data.

Please let me know if you spot any problems in the file.
Attachments

MyAwesome_Error_Log_V2.1-2.xlsm [390.12 KiB]
Downloaded 119 times

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sure. One issue I can see right now is the column for "Correct/Incorrect" has a wrong formula (or actually none at all)

For the first line/answer It should be: =IF(ISBLANK(F5),"",IF(F5=L5,1,0))

Not sure how it got lost.... once you fix that, it should start working. if not, we can keep debugging but I think it may be easier to download a fresh copy and start over...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hey guys, I have a question.

I have completed my first MGMAT Strategy Guide all the way. I made my own quasi error log which is actually made as a Word document (extremely dumb of me not to think of Excel, I'll admit). When I did those practice problems from MGMAT that are linked to OG 12, I wrote down in the document each problem I did not solve correctly, as well as the descriptions of why was my answer wrong and what area of number properties it is.

So as you can see, I have recently started studying for GMAT. My question is, is this error log made for those who are doing the prep tests, or is it also for starters like me? Or in other words, is this usable for me at the moment?

I am asking this because it might be easier for me to convert now to one of the error logs than it would be later in the game.

[Edit]: Oh, and great job to the authors of the logs, I really appreciate the effort.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Some of these error logs are for advanced users (sometimes too advanced).
Your goal should be to have a list of all your questions (answered incorrectly or you want to save them for future). Your goal is to use spreadsheets, word docs, napkins, books, etc - anything works.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Thanks for the info bb.

Do you think you can you could recommend me an error log from this forum. I am decent in Excel but I am not advanced. However, I am always willing to learn unless it is not going to take away too much of my time.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Laker7 wrote:
Thanks for the info bb.

Do you think you can you could recommend me an error log from this forum. I am decent in Excel but I am not advanced. However, I am always willing to learn unless it is not going to take away too much of my time.

I would say use/pick one that you can manage and takes the least time to worry about.

Here are all kinds of Error Logs - you pick one. I just used a folder where I put all of my questions (print outs or copies) into to review later.

Various Error Logs:
new-gmat-practice-grid-11448.html
all-about-the-error-log-11754.html
gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-12th-ed-85956.html
error-log-template-online-68055.html
standardizing-error-taxonomy-template-added-84791.html
error-log-tool-8717.html
gmat-timer-56014.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
bb wrote:
The Competition is finished. Here's a list of Error Logs of all times :).

How to use & Purpose

The purpose of an error log is to keep track of your mistakes. You can use one of these fancy spreadsheets, you can use your own doc, GMAT ToolKit, or you can just mark the questions you got wrong in your book. The goal is the same - to build a list of questions that are problematic for you. Usually, you would exclude anything that you have missed by pure careless error (for example, confused answer choices) but you do want to have here all other questions you missed. Why? Because these questions are what you want to review at the end of the week and perhaps every month. You also want to save them for the last week (especially the ones that you missed twice).

If one of these spreadsheets is too fancy for you, just get your own error log/timer/etc - the key is to keep track of your weaknesses and mistakes and then to attack them. No spreadsheet can do the studying for you though.

Error Logs

1. Error Logs by Saruba
  2. Error Logs by Saruba+Spoilt+Trianglock
  3. Error Logs by Spoilt
  4. Error Logs by Trianglock

There is also a built-in Error log in the GMAT Club Forum
No downloading, No manual work - it tracks your progress automatically when you solve questions on this forum and gives you the results. Learn more about the Forum Timer

Existing Error logs and resources you may want to use to create/revise your error log:
error-log-tool-8717.html
gmat-timer-56014.html

Show SpoilerOld files
Attachment:
Awesome Error Log_V2.xls
Attachment:
Awesome Error Log_V2.xlsm
Attachment:
Awesome_Error_Log_V2.1.xlsm
Attachment:
Awesome_Error_Log_V2.1.xls
Attachment:
GMATClub_Error_Log_V3.0.xlsm
Attachment:
GMATClub_Error_Log_V3.0.xls
Attachment:
friendly_error_log_v2_by_saruba.xlsm
Attachment:
friendly_error_log_v2_by_saruba.xls
Attachment:
Attachment:
Awesome Error Log_V2.xls
Attachment:
Trianglock_GMAT Error Log-2.xlsx
Attachment:
Trianglock_GMAT Error Log-2.1.xls

how to add things to the database in the awesome error log?
I tried adding topics in quant in the DB but it is not reflecting in the drop down in the quant error log worksheet.

Kindly help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
hi,

when doing problems and using an error log, how do you time yourself? do you do a problem say in 2 minutes, then immediately after the problem do you write down whether you knew the answer or if it was a silly mistake or if you were stuck between 2 choices. or do you do say 10 problems all timed, then when checking answers go back and try to remember your thought process.

i'm just trying to get the most efficient way to use the error log and keep track of stuff, but it seems like even using the error log is very time intensive and would take away from studying.

i'd be open to anyone's thoughts or techniques on maximum efficiency for error logs

thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Kudos
dhlee922 wrote:
hi,

when doing problems and using an error log, how do you time yourself? do you do a problem say in 2 minutes, then immediately after the problem do you write down whether you knew the answer or if it was a silly mistake or if you were stuck between 2 choices. or do you do say 10 problems all timed, then when checking answers go back and try to remember your thought process.

i'm just trying to get the most efficient way to use the error log and keep track of stuff, but it seems like even using the error log is very time intensive and would take away from studying.

i'd be open to anyone's thoughts or techniques on maximum efficiency for error logs

thank you

Just use a stopwatch and write down your time and comments after every answer. It's not hard, but you're right it is tedious. The comments are invaluable however. Especially for answers you got right but were lucky and need to review the concept.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Human Resources, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.69
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
how to add things to the database in the awesome error log?
I tried adding topics in quant in the DB but it is not reflecting in the drop down in the quant error log worksheet.

Kindly help.

I had the same question but I just found out:

1. Go to the db sheet (database) and in the Quant Areas column add the new topics that you want to include in the drop-down list (below the ones that are already there)

2. Go to the Quant Log sheet and select the cell that you want to add more topics to the drop-down list (you will want to select all the cells in the quant Area column)

3. With those cells selected: On the Data tab, in the Data Tools group, click Data Validation.

4.In the Data Validation dialog box, click the Settings tab.

5.In the Allow box, click List.

6.Specify the location of the list of valid entries, doing the following: click in the Source box and then select the cells that contain the quant topics in the db sheet.

7. Click OK and you're ready to go!

Let me know if it worked for you or if you have any questions.

Consider giving me Kudos if this post was helpful. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I love saruba's error log.

I would like to suggest one addition that I tried out for myself.
I would add a column in the "Quant log" and "Verbal log" showing "x" for all wrong answered questions.

Source Choice OA Wrong Issue Type
GMATPrep 1 C C Knowledge gap PS
GMATPrep 1 C E X Not sure PS
GMATPrep 1 E C X Careless PS
GMATPrep 1 C C Tough DS

You can see really quickly which questions were wrong.
But other than that. Just great!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: WBUT - Class of 2011
GMAT Date: 01-06-2014
GPA: 2.6
WE:Research (Education)
Send PM
I am using Error Logs by Saruba+Spoilt+Trianglock.

I cant increase the space of any coloum. How can I do that?

How can I create more option tool in this error log?

bb wrote:
The Competition is finished. Here's a list of Error Logs of all times :).

How to use & Purpose

The purpose of an error log is to keep track of your mistakes. You can use one of these fancy spreadsheets, you can use your own doc, GMAT ToolKit, or you can just mark the questions you got wrong in your book. The goal is the same - to build a list of questions that are problematic for you. Usually, you would exclude anything that you have missed by pure careless error (for example, confused answer choices) but you do want to have here all other questions you missed. Why? Because these questions are what you want to review at the end of the week and perhaps every month. You also want to save them for the last week (especially the ones that you missed twice).

If one of these spreadsheets is too fancy for you, just get your own error log/timer/etc - the key is to keep track of your weaknesses and mistakes and then to attack them. No spreadsheet can do the studying for you though.

Error Logs

1. Error Logs by Saruba
  2. Error Logs by Saruba+Spoilt+Trianglock
  3. Error Logs by Spoilt
  4. Error Logs by Trianglock

There is also a built-in Error log in the GMAT Club Forum
No downloading, No manual work - it tracks your progress automatically when you solve questions on this forum and gives you the results. Learn more about the Forum Timer

Existing Error logs and resources you may want to use to create/revise your error log:
error-log-tool-8717.html
gmat-timer-56014.html

Show SpoilerOld files
Attachment:
Awesome Error Log_V2.xls
Attachment:
Attachment:
Awesome_Error_Log_V2.1.xlsm
Attachment:
Awesome_Error_Log_V2.1.xls
Attachment:
GMATClub_Error_Log_V3.0.xlsm
Attachment:
GMATClub_Error_Log_V3.0.xls
Attachment:
friendly_error_log_v2_by_saruba.xlsm
Attachment:
friendly_error_log_v2_by_saruba.xls
Attachment:
Attachment:
Awesome Error Log_V2.xls
Attachment:
Trianglock_GMAT Error Log-2.xlsx
Attachment:
Trianglock_GMAT Error Log-2.1.xls
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
My error log isn`t displaying the graph of questions by sub topic in quant stats section(Error log by Saruba 2007). I don`t know anything about excel and was hoping if someone could help me with it.
Attachments

File comment: Please help
Aakash_Srivastava_error_log.xlsm [162.15 KiB]
Downloaded 64 times

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5