Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [83]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In retrospect.... [#permalink]
Thought you quit, rhyme ;)
Glad you haven't, though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Great post rhyme. Thanks! I'll be sure to check out that More than Money book soon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.11
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Great post!!

Question for you (or anyone else) about rankings:

You said they don't really matter in the end, however, I've been struggling with this question and wonder which way I should go:

Pepperdine MBA vs. UCLA MBA

I'm looking at the fully-employed programs at both schools. Under normal circumstances, it would be a no-brainer for me (UCLA!). However, I have the opportunity to complete my MBA at Pepperdine 18 months earlier and with $60,000 savings over UCLA FEMBA.

If I was younger, this decision would be much easier (UCLA!), however, I will be close to 39 years old (!!) when I enter either program. So I am unsure if a degree from UCLA would give me as much benefit over a Pepperdine degree (job-wise) as it would for a much younger candidate.

Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Fantastic post!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
As always, insightful and to a t!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
this is really cool. thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Duke (R1-int/WL), UCLA (R1), Haas (R2-int/WL-ding), Cornell - R3 (Accepted with $$), , Darden Class of 2013 (R2)
WE 1: 4 years non profit management
WE 2: 2 years real estate
Send PM
Thanks for the post!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Financier wrote:
rhyme wrote:
#5: Take good professors not good classes
------------------------------------------
Personal experience here but a good professor a good class makes. Simple.

Rhyme, very good advices, but one question:
how do first year students usually get personal experience of Booth's professors?

You misinterpret. I dont mean you should get "personal experience" with professors what I mean is that my personal experience has led me to the conclusion that you should pick what classes to take based on which professors are good not on which classes are good. A "good class" with a "bad" professor is a waste of time. An OK class with a great professor turns into a great class.

Find out who the best are and take them.

Schrager's class, for instance, is arguably the most influential, interesting and compelling course I've ever taken and I think 90% of those who take it would agree. Its not the material that makes it that way, its him.

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/faculty/bio ... 2825686016

Alan Bester teaches a stats course. It's statistics, so its by definition not that exciting. And yet, his class is incredible - so incredible in fact that I know people who skipped statistics, took regressions and then went BACK and took stats anyway because of him.

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/faculty/bio ... 2824553472

My point is that, in my opinion, you should pick classes based on who teaches them, not based on what they are. Thats perhaps a bit of an odd thing to say I admit.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for posting - Really really good stuff!!!!

P.S. you have just gone over the 1,000 kudos milestone!
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
bb wrote:
Thanks for posting - Really really good stuff!!!!

I second that with mine...

very good post.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
bb wrote:

That'll be why he came back.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
3underscore wrote:
bb wrote:

That'll be why he came back.

You got me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
As a post-MBA completely agree with everything Rhyme said.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.65
WE:Sales (Insurance)
Send PM
I agree with pretty much everything this guy, wrote, ive learned pretty much the exact same things from my experience at a top undergrad business program. I would however say that I think that getting good grades has meant that I have learned a lot which in turn has meant that I got a lot out of the education, and a lot of employers do look at grades. At least McKinsey's recruiters complemented me on my grades and told me to get back to them closer to graduation. I think grades shows that you have learned a lot, and that you have a good capacity to work which I think means something to employers. But the further you get away from school, the less grades means. What counts is always your latest merits. Then again, I heard one CEO who talked about how bad grade she had in school and she said she preferred to hire people with similiar grades often because they were a lot like her. Maybe the message should be to get good grades if that is what you want for yourself, but not to get good grades just to impress employers? And I totally agree with the last one, if you do what you love money will follow. Because you will reach your highest potential only if you enjoy what you are doing for work.

So I guess if you love marketing, you will probably end making more money there than in i-banking because your passion and enthusiasm will make you a great marketer, whereas you will only become a mediocre i-banker without the same.

And I agree that I was both surprised and dissapointed by how many stupid and lazy people there were in a top-business program: HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET IN?!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools:HBS
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks rhyme! Great post, and very helpful!

Happytrojan wrote:
I agree with pretty much everything this guy, wrote, ive learned pretty much the exact same things from my experience at a top undergrad business program. I would however say that I think that getting good grades has meant that I have learned a lot which in turn has meant that I got a lot out of the education, and a lot of employers do look at grades. At least McKinsey's recruiters complemented me on my grades and told me to get back to them closer to graduation. I think grades shows that you have learned a lot, and that you have a good capacity to work which I think means something to employers. But the further you get away from school, the less grades means...

I think grades much more if you're undergrad, and especially if you're going into consulting. I know Deloitte wants at least a 3.5, not too sure about other companies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.65
WE:Sales (Insurance)
Send PM
Vapor wrote:
Thanks rhyme! Great post, and very helpful!

Happytrojan wrote:
I agree with pretty much everything this guy, wrote, ive learned pretty much the exact same things from my experience at a top undergrad business program. I would however say that I think that getting good grades has meant that I have learned a lot which in turn has meant that I got a lot out of the education, and a lot of employers do look at grades. At least McKinsey's recruiters complemented me on my grades and told me to get back to them closer to graduation. I think grades shows that you have learned a lot, and that you have a good capacity to work which I think means something to employers. But the further you get away from school, the less grades means...

I think grades much more if you're undergrad, and especially if you're going into consulting. I know Deloitte wants at least a 3.5, not too sure about other companies.

Heard most I-banks require at least 3.5 too: I think you are right in other words.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
In retrospect...

I present for no other reason than I feel like it, the top 10 mistakes I wish I hadn't made, or things I learned or whatever I can come up with that happens to end up with 10 items ... in no particular order:

#1: Grades
----------

#2: Hanging out more
--------------------

#3: Don't get distracted
------------------------

#4: Rank only sorta matters
---------------------------

#7: Spend more time earlier on figuring out what your goals are
-------------------------------------------------------------

Nice post. I will be going after good grades for myself because I wouldn't like to have 2.9GPA or the equivalent. So, it's a personal thing. This is by far the most I have ever paid for education so I want to learn something.

Second, I do think people take the hanging out thing too much to the other end. I saw this at Harvard's ASW. Some people were overdrive. You know, introducing themselves to everyone and not taking the time to make meaningful conversation. They were going for everything that was happening. Quality over quantity people. If not, you find yourself surrounded by acquaintances and no real friends. That goes back to your point of distraction and knowing why you are in business school, I think some people are inherently followers and just follow the herd. "where's everyone hanging?" "where's everyone trying to work?"

Rank may not matter but reputation does. Because it determines which companies recruit where and how much. Please make no mistake.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5