Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball [#permalink]
akki1986 wrote:
Dear All,

I want to evaluate my profile for top 25 B-schools.

Name: Amit Kumar
Nationality:Indian
Graduate %age: 67(Computers)
Work Ex.: 3 years(Big MNC) (2 years Client Place)
GMAT:670(First Attempt)
International Work Ex.: Nil

Apart from Computers i am part time trader, i like to developing strategy for stock market using Technical analysis.

I have a website related to TECHNICAL ANALYSIS AND STRATEGY for Stock Market, which has significance hits every day.

I am helping new traders who want to come into market and give free tips, and maintain calls and portfolio.

My portfolio is having return more then 40% .

I started with some couple of thousand and build bank account with some lac.

I want to pursue MBA in Strategy.

Please help me...regarding what points i can add to build my profile more stronger.

Hi Amit,

You've completely diverted our attention (intentionally?) away from your 3 years of work-ex and moved on to your trading story. So without putting you in an awkward situation and talking about those 3 years, let's stick to the trading part.

Be a little careful when you are throwing numbers (like 40% returns) our there. Without putting it in the right context, it may or may not sound impressive depending on who's reading it. Allow me to elaborate.

Trading could come in various flavours. The short term speculator/punter vs the long term investor. Accordingly returns also come in various flavours. It is difficult to interpret whether your strategies have been high-risk-high-returns or low-risk-high-returns or some other variation.

In a long term, if you've been consistently been able to give those returns that'll be fantastic. In the short term, when the market has been very volatile, guys who've jumped in and out at the right time have been able to make a lot of money. But this is more luck than capability.

I'm sure your strategy has been rooted deeply into technical analysis concepts, which others may not really be in a position to appreciate.

Another point. What qualities would that success story highlight? Are you good at statistical analysis? Good at understanding the economy, industries (do you also have an understanding of fundamental analysis techniques)?

How will your current skills help you if you were to successfully transition into a consulting role (your post-MBA goal)?

The website aspect (you've only briefly talked about it) can give you several other points to talk about. It's given you a lot of exposure to areas that your 3-yrs of work-ex might not have provided. Send me the URL (as a PM if you don't want to reveal it on the thread). I'd like to see what you are doing out there (and secretly also evaluate your writing style).

Point I'm trying to make it, help others understand your strengths better and you'll have a good shot at the top schools.
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA Crystal Ball blog wins the 'Notable Newbie' award from Blogadda.com.

They are currently featuring it on their homepage.

Thanks to everyone who's helped make it popular.
Director
Director
Send PM
Manchester Business School MBA or Indiana Kelley MBA?

There’s one trait that makes Nitin Vig special – Tenacity. Having known him for a while, I know more about him than this following post reveals. And that I think the quality to hang in there when the chips are down and keep pushing is gonna take him places. For now he’s struggling with an envious dilemma – having to choose between 2 good business schools with scholarship. Read on and see if you can help him with the decision. read on
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Please evaluate my profile and let me know whether my GMAT score is enough for the targetted schools or do I need to retake

Work Experience: 7 Years, will be 8 years while joining the school (planning for the 2012 intake)

Internation Exposure: 3 years 3 months. Staying in US since 2008 Jan

Current Positions:

Soltions Consultant at IT industry. Responsible for delivering the software solutions to US based client. Being in client place – US, my responsibilities include helping the businees parters to effectively identify the business requirements, assign the work to team members and and present the deliverables to business partners/Client Project Manager. Also works on pre-sales for the parent company. Managed upto 12 members team

Working (non remunerative) for a school in India as a Manager, stategy – Planning and implementation. Responsible for effectively identify and build the vision for the school, create the strategy plan to achieve the goal, and implement the plan.

GMAT: 690 Essays : 4.5

Education: Electrical and Electronics Engineering from a reputed college in India

GPA : 3.4

Extra Curricular: I was in the organization committee in several college events. performed in the skits at college events. Organized several events in the school for which I am working. Organized many Indian regional events in US, also acted in several skits in those events.

Targetted shools: INSEAD, IMD, HKUST, ISB, IIMA, IIMB
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Consulting
Schools:UNC Kenan Flagler, Tepper, McCombs, Rotman
 Q50  V40
WE 1: IT Consulting
Send PM
Hi MBA Crystal Ball,

Please help me evaluate my candidacy for the MBA programs in my target schools :

A brief insight to my profile :

1. An IIM (Indian IT Male) guy with 5.5 years of experience in IT - have international work ex and worked for clients reputed in finance domain.

2. GMAT : 740 (Q-50;V-40;AWA-waiting)

3. Extra curr : 'Youth secretary' at our local community club - arranged events such as blood donation camps , art and cultural competitions for society kids -- member of Green Peace -- planning to do more active participations in NGO activities in this summer;

4. Target schools :
a)HBS (misfit in terms of age - but how can I capitalize on that);
b)Duke
c)Wharton
d)Carnegie Mellon Tepper
e)Haas
f)Kelloggs

5. Target career : Consulting / Marketing and Strategy

Please also suggest any other schools u find suitable for me.
Director
Director
Send PM
sampatkumar wrote:
Please evaluate my profile and let me know whether my GMAT score is enough for the targetted schools or do I need to retake

Work Experience: 7 Years, will be 8 years while joining the school (planning for the 2012 intake)
Internation Exposure: 3 years 3 months. Staying in US since 2008 Jan

Current Positions:
Soltions Consultant at IT industry. Responsible for delivering the software solutions to US based client. Being in client place – US, my responsibilities include helping the businees parters to effectively identify the business requirements, assign the work to team members and and present the deliverables to business partners/Client Project Manager. Also works on pre-sales for the parent company. Managed upto 12 members team

Working (non remunerative) for a school in India as a Manager, stategy – Planning and implementation. Responsible for effectively identify and build the vision for the school, create the strategy plan to achieve the goal, and implement the plan.

GMAT: 690 Essays : 4.5
Education: Electrical and Electronics Engineering from a reputed college in India
GPA : 3.4

Extra Curricular: I was in the organization committee in several college events. performed in the skits at college events. Organized several events in the school for which I am working. Organized many Indian regional events in US, also acted in several skits in those events.

Targetted shools: INSEAD, IMD, HKUST, ISB, IIMA, IIMB

Most of the schools on your list have a median GMAT that crosses the 700 mark. But you aren't too far away from that mark. Most candidates with your background use GMAT as a differentiator to some extent. That approach will not work for you.

So you are going into the field with 1 below average batsman (world cup hangover still on, as you can see). Doesn't mean they won't let you play, but the other players have to over-compensate for this average-joe-batsman and still deliver.

For IMD, you are in good shape as you can talk about your work-ex which seems pretty solid. It's a relatively small class, though. So you are fighting for a very small proportion of those seats.

HKUST is a safe bet. ISB/INSEAD et al have many more seats on offer, but the profiles from Indian also tend to be very competitive. Or if you are open to looking at other equally good schools that aren't as obsessed with the GMAT, then the options open up.
Director
Director
Send PM
XLRI GMP 1 year MBA: GMAT preparation tips from a 770 GMAT scorer

The average GMAT at XLRI Jamshedpur’s GMP general management program got a boost when Narendran Santhanam got his application to their 1 year MBA program accepted.

He sent in this blog post at 3:51 AM, so you can imagine the kind of workload he’s dealing with as he nears the end of an eventful year. If you’ve been going bananas trying to find out the ingredients that go into a high GMAT score, fikar not, as Chef Naren’s GMAT diet recommendation includes exactly that – bananas !!! read more
Director
Director
Send PM
mba22 wrote:
Hi MBA Crystal Ball,

Please help me evaluate my candidacy for the MBA programs in my target schools :
:

I've responded to your post on the other site, so skipping this one.

Let me know if you any follow-up questions.
Director
Director
Send PM
Management Consulting Jobs: Wanna be a strategy consultant?

Management consulting jobs are very popular among MBA graduates, for the intellectual stimulation, the exciting projects and the mouth-watering salaries that the industry offers. You’ll get to work with top-notch professionals and extremely talented colleagues from across the globe. You’ll also rub shoulders with the senior management (often CEO/CFO level professionals) and develop fantastic networks that can propel your career northwards.

Read how you can get a break in the consulting industry...read more.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi,
i am a doctor based in dharamsala. i would be grateful if you could please evaluate my profile wrt admission chances at HBS, Yale, MIT, INSEAD, NYU Stern.
1.28yr female
2.MBBS with overall grade A++ from govt medical college dharamsala.
3.720 GMAT (q84, V92)
4.4yrs full time work experience.
5.7yrs volunteering for rotary international. project leader for projects in Po K, Bermuda
6.High Altitude mountaineer. led international teams
7.press secretary for the fight for FREE TIBET, deeply connected to it.
8.Freelance for TIMES of India
9.Completed stats, maths course with an A
10.plan to start a chain of multidisciplinary clinics in underdeveloped countries post MBA

thanks a lot in advance.
Dr.Prerna

P.S-posted it in the general forum but would appreciate an evaluation by your team.
Director
Director
Send PM
We got a nice testimonial on another forum from a candidate who got into multiple top schools with scholarships. This is a genuine comment from a genuine candidate. Any resemblance to the Shopping Network TV ads ('Main pehle bohot pareshan thaa, phir mujhe mila MCB ka chamatkari report...') is purely coincidental.

Quote:
Hello everyone…

I have used Sameer’s MBA Crystal Ball report, and I wanted to share my experience with you all…

About eight months back, I was disheartened… my applications in 2009-10 had returned me abysmal results, with no interview from a single place. I had started questioning my every move. That’s when I felt, I was getting it wrong somewhere and felt I needed an expert help.

I had been following Sameer’s posts then and used to find his observations interesting. I learned about his report and felt I should give it a try - and since it’s so wonderfully priced - I didn’t think much and ordered it.

In my initial calls with Sameer, he gathered all relevant information about my background. He patiently heard me and got a complete picture about where I was coming from, my goals etc. This was then promptly (within a day) followed by his famous Crystal Ball report.

The report revealed that the places I had previously applied to where ALL ambitious or stretch for me. I immediately realized that if I addressed this aspect, I will surely get better results this time.

The report was followed up by an hour long call where Sameer addressed all my questions, doubts, inhibitions…you name it! In the call, we also created a model portfolio of schools I should be applying to. Again, I was struck by the information he carries, his keenness to address all your doubts, and most importantly – his eagerness to see you succeed…!

During the subsequent months, I more or less stuck to the portfolio we had created.

Today, I have got admits from 2 Top MBA programs (both with scholarships) and am waitlisted at 2 other Top schools. Sameer’s report has played a crucial role in my improved performance.

I would highly recommend that you use his report. It will be the first important step of your application journey. A step that will lead you to the right direction. A step that will make the rest of your journey, easier…and more productive.

Now, can you do your own research and come to the same conclusion that Sameer’s report would suggest??? Sure…Only, by using his report, you will save about 6 crucial months of your application process.

And Sameer, a request to you: keep the price at its current affordable levels…I’m sure far more candidates would benefit that way. And, thank you – as always – for your help…!

Aah...that felt good, naa? Looking forward to more such success stories this season.
Director
Director
Send PM
prerna0417 wrote:
hi,
i am a doctor based in dharamsala. i would be grateful if you could please evaluate my profile wrt admission chances at HBS, Yale, MIT, INSEAD, NYU Stern.
:
10.plan to start a chain of multidisciplinary clinics in underdeveloped countries post MBA

thanks a lot in advance.
Dr.Prerna

Dr Prerna,

The 10th point caught my eye, so jumping straight to it. It's a noble idea, but it also sounds pretty ambitious to do that immediately after completing your MBA and with only 4 years work-experience. Might give rise to a lot of questions. Will you be working as a team (or bigger alliance partner) for this? Where will the funding come from?

I'd like to understand if there's already something that's happening in area that has encouraged you to have this post-MBA goal.

Can you please share a little more info on this point? We'll move to the other points and your questions after we have a little more insight into your future plans.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi,
sir this is my long term goal. my short time goal is to join a consultancy firm in the healthcare domain (payor and provider roles) and help solve the problems that are rampant in the current healthcare system across the world.
mckinsey is currently associated with a healthcare initiative in Africa- aimed at eradication of common and life threatening diseases.
prerna
Director
Director
Send PM
prerna0417 wrote:
hi,
sir this is my long term goal. my short time goal is to join a consultancy firm in the healthcare domain (payor and provider roles) and help solve the problems that are rampant in the current healthcare system across the world.
mckinsey is currently associated with a healthcare initiative in Africa- aimed at eradication of common and life threatening diseases.
prerna

Hi Prerna,

Thanks for the clarification.

As a medical graduate, you have put in more years into the academic field than the engineers you'd be competing with. So the number of years of work experience (4 yrs) in relation to the age might seem low. But there are other aspects that you can use to strengthen your application.

Specifically you can use the following points to your advantage
prerna0417 wrote:
5.7yrs volunteering for rotary international. project leader for projects in Po K, Bermuda
6.High Altitude mountaineer. led international teams
7.press secretary for the fight for FREE TIBET, deeply connected to it.
8.Freelance for TIMES of India

Apart from your extra-curriculars (which are very intriguing), I'd have liked to see some more 'accomplishment' stories on the professional front as you have pretty ambitious long term plans. Also, you haven't talked about what you want to do immediately after graduating.

The schools you have in mind are top class and very competitive to get into (Ambitious to Stretch for your profile). I'm hoping there's a reason that goes beyond brand power for selecting each of them. But those are your dream schools, go ahead and apply. Do include a few Practical schools as well.

While working on your apps, ensure that you don't leave gaps like that for the Adcoms to fill in. Try being as specific as you can in your essays so that the complete story is very clear for the reader to understand.

Good luck in your apps. Do reach out to us if you need help along the way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Guys,

I recently worked with Sameer for the MCB report that MBA Crystal Ball offers. I think MCB process is very useful and an essential step in the overall application process (whether you do so with MBA crystal ball or on your own). I'll be happy to answer any queries you guys may have.

M
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi MBA Crystal Ball Team,

I am a new member of the GMATClub - in fact I have decided to take GMAT just a few days back. Can you please guide me on the basis of my profile and objectives given below:

Indian, Male, 36 years

Undergrad - Electronics Engineering - 1996 (9.07 out of 10)
Post Grad - Electronics Engineering - 1998 (9.57 out of 10)
Post-grad Diploma in Management (equivalent to MBA) - 2009 - A top-ranked Indian Management Institute - Among top 10% in the class

Work Ex - approx 10 years (including 2 years for MBA) with Indian Railways, one of the world's largest organizations - at a leadership position. Managing a work-force of approx 3,000. Received several recognitions and commendations on professional front

Extra-curricular Acts: Nothing much to talk about

Expected GMAT Score: around 700 (on the basis of first prep-test I gave this morning)

I want to do a PhD in Management from a Top-20 B-school, with emphasis on Strategic Management - and post that I want to go towards academics/research (both usually go together in India). But I am not sure where my profile would place me, or rather which schools/PhD-courses I should aim for.

Can you please guide me some on this?

Regards,
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
muditc wrote:
Indian, Male, 36 years
:
I want to do a PhD in Management from a Top-20 B-school, with emphasis on Strategic Management - and post that I want to go towards academics/research (both usually go together in India). But I am not sure where my profile would place me, or rather which schools/PhD-courses I should aim for.

Can you please guide me some on this?

Regards,

Hey Mudit,

When it comes to PhD degrees, my knowledge isn't as diverse or indepth as it is for MBA programs. But let me share my thoughts based on my interactions with others who've been pursuing this.

At the PhD level, Strategic Management as an area of specialisation is a pretty competitive domain to get into. Despite the strong academic angle to the course, it still has a lot of market value beyond academic roles. Top-tier management consulting firms pick up Strat mgmt grads from the best schools.

If your long terms plans are to break into the top tier Indian academia, you could check out the IIMs or ISB for their doctoral programs. But even there, the competition for Strategy Mgmt is tough.

With international PhD programs, I know people who've taken a 2-step approach to PhD, by taking up a Masters degree (including MBA) in the university of their choice and then moving on to the PhD once they have a better understanding of the opportunities that the university has to offer.

If you can get into a top PhD program directly, nothing like it.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  41