Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [8]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [13]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [1]
Send PM
Re: Women’s participation in the revolutionary events in France between 17 [#permalink]
Kudos
please try and post the explanations of your answers , that will help others understand the passage, and in fact it will help you as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Women’s participation in the revolutionary events in France between 17 [#permalink]
garimavyas wrote:
please try and post the explanations of your answers , that will help others understand the passage, and in fact it will help you as well.

I am waiting for the OA to check the correctness of my answer. Moreover, I don't want other posters to be affected by my answer and my explanations (that's why I put my response in spoiler).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Send PM
ok then , the OA are DCBDAEB.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Mytake:--
1) D
2) C
3)C
4) D
5) A
6) E
7) B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Send PM
i think question 3 in this passage is the question most people get wrong.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
garimavyas wrote:
i think question 3 in this passage is the question most people get wrong.

yeah, it's quite tricky. choice C contains the similar words in the passage. if not read closely, one is easily trapped.

good passage, btw.

thank you, garimavyas :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
with u crick20002002
qn 3 got wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Send PM
Can someone please help with question number 5? i.e.

The passage suggests that Landes and Badinter would be likely to agree with which one of the following statements about the women’s movement in France in the 1790s?
(A) The movement might have been more successful if women had developed their own political vocabularies.
(B) The downfall of the movement was probably unrelated to it alliance with Jacobin men.
(C) The movement had a great deal of choice about whether to adopt a Rousseauist political vocabulary.
(D) The movement would have triumphed if it had not been suppressed by military means.
(E) The movement viewed a Rousseauist political tradition, rather than a Jacobin political ideology, as detrimental to its interests.

OA mentioned is A. But the passage said that the movement failed because the women lack the already ESTABLISHED vocab. Even if the women developed their own vocab there is no where mentioned their language would have helped. Surely learning a ESTABLISHED language would have. NO???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
GMATNinja, workout, GMATNinjaTwo, u1983, SajjadAhmad, Gnpth

Typical of their orientation to theoretical issues—in Godineaus’s view, without practical effect—is Marie Gouze’s Declaration of the Right of Women.
What is the meaning of this line in the given context?

Q5) how is A option right?
"the necessity of women’s having to speak in the established vocabularies of certain intellectual and political tradition diminished the ability of the women’s movement to resist suppression." We only know to have to speak in established vocabulary diminished their ability. How can we conclude that if they had their own vocabulary it wouldn't diminish?
School Moderator - Rotman Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
Women’s participation in the revolutionary events in France between 17 [#permalink]
GMATNinja
Can you please help me understand options B and D I was stuck between these two options and wasted 1 min and ended selecting a wrong one.

My understanding: In the last line of the first para the author is saying that recent works of historians have given the need to reassess the role of women between 1789-1795.
The primary purpose: Certain recent historical finding has arisen the need to reassess the women role and to summarise those findings
1. Which one of the following best states the main point of the passage?

(A) According to recent historical studies, the participation of women in the revolutionary events of 1789-1795 can most profitably be viewed in three successive stages.
(B) The findings of certain recent historical studies have resulted from an earlier general reassessment, by historians, of women’s participation in the revolutionary events of 1789-1795.(does the boldface imply that the recent findings are the result of general reassessment?)
(C) Adopting the vocabulary and viewpoint of certain intellectual and political traditions resulted in no political advantage for women in France in the years 1789-1795.
(D) Certain recent historical studies have provided a much-needed description and evaluation of the evolving roles of women in the revolutionary events of 1789-1795.(In this option where is the author's point to reassess the work?)
(E) Historical studies that seek to explain the limitations of the women’s movement is more convincing than are those that seek only to describe the general features of that movement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [1]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
AnushkaPatel961 wrote:
GMATNinja
Can you please help me understand options B and D I was stuck between these two options and wasted 1 min and ended selecting a wrong one.

My understanding: In the last line of the first para the author is saying that recent works of historians have given the need to reassess the role of women between 1789-1795.
The primary purpose: Certain recent historical finding has arisen the need to reassess the women role and to summarise those findings
1. Which one of the following best states the main point of the passage?

(A) According to recent historical studies, the participation of women in the revolutionary events of 1789-1795 can most profitably be viewed in three successive stages.
(B) The findings of certain recent historical studies have resulted from an earlier general reassessment, by historians, of women’s participation in the revolutionary events of 1789-1795.(does the boldface imply that the recent findings are the result of general reassessment?)
(C) Adopting the vocabulary and viewpoint of certain intellectual and political traditions resulted in no political advantage for women in France in the years 1789-1795.
(D) Certain recent historical studies have provided a much-needed description and evaluation of the evolving roles of women in the revolutionary events of 1789-1795.(In this option where is the author's point to reassess the work?)
(E) Historical studies that seek to explain the limitations of the women’s movement is more convincing than are those that seek only to describe the general features of that movement.

Hey AnushkaPatel961,
Here is my understanding of why Option B is incorrect. Hope this helps.

In Para -1, if you notice the below lines -
The recent studies by Landes, Badinter, Godineau, and Roudinesco, however, should signal a much-needed reassessment of women’s participation.

This means that the 4 researchers Landes, Badinter, Godineau, and Roudinesco have done some study and the light of their study the author wants the current assessment on women's participation to be re-evaluated. No where in the whole passage we can find that the author has mentioned of the research of the above listed people to be based on an already reassessed understanding.
So, as per the para, doubt is thrown over the current assessment and no emphasis on where this research is based out of.

As you have also mentioned correctly, option B is mentioning on the second part which is not discussed in the passage.
Hence we safely eliminate the Option.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
I don't necessarily think that 6 has the best answer. Here's the passage excerpt:
For Landes and Badinter, the necessity of women’s having to speak in the established vocabularies of certain intellectual and political tradition diminished the ability of the women’s movement to resist suppression.

The answer is: "collapse of the women’s movement in the 1790s "

I don't agree that 'diminished ability to resist supression' is the same as 'collapse of the movement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
CEdward wrote:
I don't necessarily think that 6 has the best answer. Here's the passage excerpt:
For Landes and Badinter, the necessity of women’s having to speak in the established vocabularies of certain intellectual and political tradition diminished the ability of the women’s movement to resist suppression.

I don't agree that 'diminished ability to resist supression' is the same as 'collapse of the movement.

Hi CEdward ,

Read the opening line of second last paragraph:
"What makes the recent studies particularly compelling, however, is not so much their organization of chronology as their unflinching willingness to confront the reasons for the collapse of the women’s movement."

Hope this clears your doubt!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
bidskamikaze wrote:
CEdward wrote:

Hi CEdward ,

"What makes the recent studies particularly compelling, however, is not so much their organization of chronology as their unflinching willingness to confront the reasons for the collapse of the women’s movement."

Ahh I see. So one thing I have noticed so far with LSATs is thst unlike GMAT, a single word can be buried somewhere that is the answer. Just brutal.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
CEdward wrote:
bidskamikaze wrote:
CEdward wrote:

Hi CEdward ,

Ahh I see. So one thing I have noticed so far with LSATs is thst unlike GMAT, a single word can be buried somewhere that is the answer. Just brutal.

Posted from my mobile device

I think GMAT can also do such trickery.
The important thing is to eliminate the 4 wrong answers with surety before marking the correct answers.
Also, I think in such inference questions, it's always essential to understand the context of the paragraph and the entire passage.
Since cost is a negative word in this context, it helps to think "what cost did the women pay?".
A quick scan, keeping in mind the negative connotation of the word, leads to the correct answer ! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Are you sure it is 600 level passage ?? :dazed :dazed
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Jks3000 wrote:
Are you sure it is 600 level passage ?? :dazed :dazed

Jks3000, I had the same thought lol. Just the size and topic of the passage makes it lean towards a 650 probably. I got all correct but took 15 minutes!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts