Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Send PM
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 1357 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: LAPTOP SUGGESTION [#permalink]
What about the Apple Macbook Pro Aire? Is that going to be good for b-school? Also, the Lenovo T420 or X 220? Not looking at the pricetag, which is best for CBS?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
angwen13 wrote:
What about the Apple Macbook Pro Aire? Is that going to be good for b-school? Also, the Lenovo T420 or X 220? Not looking at the pricetag, which is best for CBS?

Some people don't prefer mac because you are going to use a lot excel in business school. Others don't care and have dual boot with mac.
I think that Win7 has a lot of new futures and is ok against mac os.
In my case I am looking for something between 12/14'' no more than that with a strong processors and tons of ram.
But each case is different, some people prefer to have a big sreen laptop with an ipad. Of course you will need extra money for this.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think what most people don't realize is how much lugging you will have to do.
Even though a 15 or 17" laptop may sound cool and very good for spreadsheets, imagine carrying that around all day long to and from school and from class to class. Add to that a power adapter.

I used to have a number of 15.5" laptops in the past but have transitioned to 13.3" size for a number of reasons:
1. Weight/size
2. Battery life (longer with smaller screen, assuming the same battery capacity)
3. Fits better on airplanes (may not be a factor for you)
4. I use a dual 24" monitor setup at work/home, so I am satisfying my need for large screens.

I have to say, I don't miss the screen real estate at all, unless I am working on several documents at the same time and need dual screens...

I don't see any issues with performance for the normal "office" tasks - I have a ton of windows open and it all still works just fine. Right now I have 39 windows open (Outlook, word, excel, Access, IE, Firefox, Fireworks, Google talk, Explorer). No issues.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 2011 Laptop discussion [#permalink]
I wanted to go with 15.5 inch screen but the weight issue kills me, and 13.3 inch screen seemed too small. So I went with 14 inch HP pavilion DM4, with just 4 lbs it seems great laptop for everyday bschool use. and you can get it at around 700$, nice price for i5 and 4 GB ram.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Toshiba Portege R800 series. It has a 13.3" screen and is just barely heavier than the MacBook Air and the Samsung Series 9, but with a much more attractive price tag ($750-900-ish, depending on configuration). It also comes with an optical drive, a rarity among ultraportables. It's getting great reviews, like this one: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383651,00.asp
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I found that I did not really need a drive for my laptop. It is nice to have it built in since it does not weigh much at all but also, not a deal breaker if not. It is a nice bonus.

I used to have a Dell latitude 15" and I have replaced the DVD drive with an extra battery and never missed it.

Right now I have a latitude that has the DVD built in (4300) and I barely use that one.

With more and more software coming as a download, i probably use it only every few months. I may start burning more things on DVD though as I am running out of space. A blu ray would be nice...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013
WE 1: Consulting (3 years)
Send PM
Great thread! I'm leaning towards the new MacBook Airs when they allegedly come out this summer. Hopefully the CPU spec bump should be enough to let them handle windows in parallel without a hitch.

Related question: What software should we pick up? Obviously office. I hear Matlab is industry standard, which kind of pisses me off as I already know python, which is both better and free. Do I need to invest the money and time into Matlab so I can put it on my resume? Anything else? (I know this is school specific, but Booth has a very flexible "use whatever you want" philosophy, so I'm just looking for general advice.)

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
tortoiserun wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Toshiba Portege R800 series. It has a 13.3" screen and is just barely heavier than the MacBook Air and the Samsung Series 9, but with a much more attractive price tag ($750-900-ish, depending on configuration). It also comes with an optical drive, a rarity among ultraportables. It's getting great reviews, like this one: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383651,00.asp

Just got that one after considering all the other ultraportables. So far it's great!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
 Q48  V50
Send PM
I am going to wait until the last possible second to make this purchase. Being a Mac user for a long time (outside of work), I am forced into it b/c Excel is intolerable in the Mac environment. I'd like to buy a PC that doesn't feel cheap compared to the Mac (in build) - any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:University of San Diego
Send PM
Kudos
BabyBeagle wrote:
I am going to wait until the last possible second to make this purchase. Being a Mac user for a long time (outside of work), I am forced into it b/c Excel is intolerable in the Mac environment. I'd like to buy a PC that doesn't feel cheap compared to the Mac (in build) - any thoughts?

I'm at Mac user in my personal life too and I refuse to go PC just for school. Re.FUSE. (If worse comes to worst, I can do Excel work on my work laptop.) Have you considered sticking with a Mac and utilizing BootCamp to load the Windows environment?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
BabyBeagle wrote:

I'm the opposite I guess. I'm a lifelong PC user (and a little Linux) and I ended up buying a 13 inch Macbook Pro for b-school this year. I'm running Windows 7 on it with Parallels in case I need Windows Office 2010 and also got the new Office 2011 for Mac which is actually decent. The Toshiba Portege was high on my list though but I am digging the Mac so far.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Cambridge (R2 Admit- will matriculate), Oxford (R2 invite- declined)
 Q45  V40
GPA: 3.48
WE 1: Supply Chain Manager- start-up biotechnology company
WE 2: Supply Chain Planner- Starbucks Coffee Company
Send PM
My IT guy at work swears by Lenovo's. I've had the Lenovo T500 as my work laptop for a year now. It's a 15" screen and weighs a TON. He just bought a much lighter version with an inch smaller screen- the Lenovo T420S. I played around with it a little and really like it. It's exceptionally light for it's size. I'm seriously considering purchasing it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.59
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
bozman wrote:
My IT guy at work swears by Lenovo's. I've had the Lenovo T500 as my work laptop for a year now. It's a 15" screen and weighs a TON. He just bought a much lighter version with an inch smaller screen- the Lenovo T420S. I played around with it a little and really like it. It's exceptionally light for it's size. I'm seriously considering purchasing it.

Completely agree with your IT guy! Business laptops do not come any better than the Thinkpad T Series.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Cambridge (R2 Admit- will matriculate), Oxford (R2 invite- declined)
 Q45  V40
GPA: 3.48
WE 1: Supply Chain Manager- start-up biotechnology company
WE 2: Supply Chain Planner- Starbucks Coffee Company
Send PM
mEEchigan04 wrote:
That's what I bought, though I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. What really pushed me to the T420 or T420s was the resolution. I just don't like 1366x768 on a 13.3" or 14" screen. Much prefer the 1600x900 - I like small icons, cells, etc. - and I don't recall another laptop with a similar resolution in this screen size.

I read the battery life on it was pretty poor, though...

I didn't know that about the screen resolution; that's interesting. My IT guy said you can replace the CD drive with an extra battery for additional life, but I'm not convinced I want to do this. Regardless, I can't use an Apple to save my life, so I'm definitely set on a Lenovo. I just need to decide if I was the T or X series . . . or maybe even something from the IdeaPad line.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
I'm thinking about getting a macbook air with and using bootcamp...they're a lot cheaper than they used to be. https://www.apple.com/macbookair/compare.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

If I buy a macbook air and use bootcamp for windows, what version of windows should I buy?
Could I go for an OEM version? In short, how much extra will I need to spend to get windows 7 to run on my Macbook?

On a totally different note, has anyone tried Dell's Vostro V130? Seems great and excellent value (although battery life seems to be very short, but won't we be carrying our power adapters all day long anyway?).

Thanks

Vincent
Current Student
Send PM
tohin wrote:
Hi,

If I buy a macbook air and use bootcamp for windows, what version of windows should I buy?
Could I go for an OEM version? In short, how much extra will I need to spend to get windows 7 to run on my Macbook?

On a totally different note, has anyone tried Dell's Vostro V130? Seems great and excellent value (although battery life seems to be very short, but won't we be carrying our power adapters all day long anyway?).

Thanks

Vincent

Hi Vincent, I have also looked the Dell Vostro v130 and seems a great laptop!
Nice performance
I have the previous version (1320) and it is robust and fast
I am considering to upgrade to the new model
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2