Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

What is the next step I should take?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Send PM
Re: Career transition options? [#permalink]
Kudos
same7 wrote:
bakfed,

Thank you for the long reply. Your writing is superb and you actually do sound like a leader with a soothing demeanor. I guess I was freaking out, because I am in a way jealous of undergrads whose abilities and lucks enable them to work at Goldman Sachs. Hopefully I spelled that correctly. Anyway, I am going to go ahead and find a staffing firm and get a job as a lab tech, a position which I held before. Lastly, good luck on your future endeavors. Darden is an excellent school.

I just re-read what I wrote right now and boy, I sounded pretty cruel. I really don't want to come across as a prick but I truly am wishing everyone the best of success in life. I think you're making a good decision in looking for a job. Trust me; when I graduated in 2007 with a human biology degree, I was frustrated and discouraged at job search. I've always thought that med school was the way to go (or phd in science). However, in realizing that it's just not my cup of tea, I just had to buckle down and find a job (at that point, I've only thought about an MBA but know that I didn't know jack sh*t about it). While I worked at a couple of part-time jobs, I was finally able to secure a full-time position at a biotech/pharma. It was at this full-time position that helped me get to where I'll be going in August (along with some very extensive research on what an MBA is, what it means, and how it may help my career). Good luck, buddy! Feel free to come back to this site and ask questions regarding MBA (or even PM-ing me). There's also very helpful stuff on how to tackle the GMAT.

P.S. you did spell Goldman Sachs correctly :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bakfed,

Another question if you don't mind:

If I am struggling to find a permanent position, should I go ahead with a staffing agency? Aerotek seems to be a good one. However, I can find many people complaining about this company. Just the lazy ones? If I do go with Aerotek, I'll probably do contract-to-hire, if I am lucky. Staffing agencies are great for finding entry level to semi-professional positions, but my only issue with them is the fact that after a contract, a permanent position is not guaranteed and having gaps in resumes is a big issue. Contracts are usually 6 months to a year.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Send PM
There's nothing wrong with contract agency, as long as you get a job. It's hard to say whether you'll land a job, but at least it's a job. I'd say use the agency if you like and continue to look for a permanent job.
GMAT Club Bot