Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1621]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business
 Q36  V20
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Send PM
Re: Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
thangduong wrote:
I am a non native , and like you, look for better verbal score.
I see gmat text contain not many new words but long sentences and complex ideas. So, we need to look for those text to read. This way we study effectively for gmat. we want good gmat verbal score not a verbal of writer

I wish all of you when recommend a book, please specify
1- vocabalary is rich or not
2- content is interesting or not
3- sentence is long and complex or not, idea is complex or not

please, spedify the 3 points so that some one can choose the book he like.

what we read dicide what is my english is and my verbal score is. I wish to look for text similar to gmat text, which has no rich vocabalary but complex sentences and tough ideas. I want to be a gmat winner not a writer.

I wish to read the book which has complex sentences like those in LOLITAL BOOK but dose not have many new words. I find REMAIN OF THE DAY , and FOUNTAIN HEAD suitable for gmat. Other books I see not suitable for gmat, ROI for gmat is low.

Please, recommend book more.

Thank you for your suggestions and comments.
My point was reading an interesting book that had good language. This did not mean complex vocabulary but rather my emphasis was on complex sentences (try Faulkner or Henry James for that purpose) but I also did not want to fall asleep (Faulkner), so I picked books that were a compromise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
bb wrote:
pbanavara wrote:
I would like to add "Guns Germs and Steel" to the list - fascinating book for history freaks. Certainly improved my RC skills. An enjoyable book as well.

Agree - I liked the book as well, though found a few chapters a bit repetitive as the author kept trying to summarize past arguments quite a few times.
Book added to the list.

I find most the books I read very repatative .. as in they keep presenting same idea again and again. Specially self help books and books by Malcolm Gladwell. He writes on interesting topics but then it becomes boring half way.

Have left many books in between.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Anybody have idea about Salman Rushdie books.

I started had started reading his books like mid night children, shalimar the clown and Satanic versus.
But left the book after mostly 1 st chapter.

The language is difficult to understand and makes it diff to concentrate.
But I will read his books after finishing my current reading list.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
comparing to the other listed books like fictions... and etc, would any books from "Non Fiction and Business Business Books" be less effective in improving grammar, I am a business major student, I try to read wsj everyday, but if I need to read the newspaper and those books also, it's a bit time consuming all together. Do you have a good recommendation of some books that improves scores in verbal part while being more business related? Thank you very much!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
what about
"War and Peace" ,
"Finnegan’s Wake" ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
swang11 wrote:
comparing to the other listed books like fictions... and etc, would any books from "Non Fiction and Business Business Books" be less effective in improving grammar, I am a business major student, I try to read wsj everyday, but if I need to read the newspaper and those books also, it's a bit time consuming all together. Do you have a good recommendation of some books that improves scores in verbal part while being more business related? Thank you very much!

I have read few business related books...the goal,direct from dell,made in america,the google story,just to name a few but they are written in fiction style english and not in proper,authentic style we find in the economist,wsj etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q33  V19
Send PM
Thank you very much for the good suggestions!
I'm non english native speaker too, really need helps in this...the list really come in-time! Much appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
From GMAT verbal and even other wise….would highly recommend

• Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
• Tao of Physics - Fritjof Capra
• A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
• Any work for Alvin Toffler (from trilogy, Future Shock, Third Wave)
• No Logo – Naomi Klein
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Economist Reviews Six Business Classics

https://www.economist.com/node/18894875? ... highlights
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
I am very weak at history passage and wish to read book of history review, specially of woman history in US which is regular topic of the first passage of gmat.

anyone know the book like that, please, tell me. Thank you
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
I am very weak at history passage and wish to read book of history review, specially of woman history in US which is regular topic of the first passage of gmat.

anyone know the book like that, please, tell me. Thank you

You mean history of Feminism?
I am no fan of those books.... sorry. Perhaps someone found a fascinating book they can recommend.

However, the point is not to find a book about every passage but rather to find a great book that can improve your English and Reading and also do so in an enjoyable way. These two may not be compatible...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
thangvietnam wrote:
woman history in US which is regular topic of the first passage of gmat.

interesting conclusion....

why do you think so ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I think that the Economist makes for a very good read. I go through it regularly.
Director
Director
Send PM
I find essays collection such as "issue across the disciplines" are very nice and gmat like. I do not have it. Anyone know where to download it, please, tell me

Anyone know any collection of essay like that book, please, recommend .
Director
Director
Send PM
I read Marcel Proust's Swan Way. I like his sentences very much because they help me with SC and RC. But the content is boring.

Anyone know any other works of that writer, which have more interesting content , for example, a plot, Please, tell me. (please, email me). I need the interesting thing to keep my reading constant.

Thank a lot.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
how to read and what to read.

for non native speaker who did not study undergraduate in English after getting 100 toefl ibt, the study of gmat is the learning of reading. to be able to choose one correct sentence among 5 choices of SC or to do an argument, the students have to read very well . when we study gmat, we do again the old questions in og and this kill us because our reading capacity is not up. logic of gmat is easy to get medium level and normally this make us get a good score .Evidence for this is that when we do again the old questions we get 80 percent of them right. why because we do not have to read any more. But because we can not read, we can not perform on the test day. This posting points out the problem-we have to read a lot. toefl ibt 100 can not make us able to read the argument in 30 seconds before we go to the answer choices, can not make us able to read the first 2 sentences of the RC passages. The only way to solve problem is to read

The matter now is what to read and how to read. We need capacity to read/summarize/paraphrase a long sentence with many ideas but, luckily without many new words. So, we choose material which contain long sentences with rich ideas. Some material contain too many new words and reading this is not neccessary . all reading skills for a native speaker are taught in toefl ibt already and there is no new skill we need to know. just practice. we do not need to learn new words any more after we get 100 toefl ibt although we will see new words in the dictionary frequently when studying gmat because it is convenient to learn new words when we read.

when we meet a long sentences like the second sentence of the first passage of gmat test, we find out main subject, main verb and main object, then we reread the total sentence. In doing this process of summarizing happens. At first, the non native speaker after 100 toefl ibt will spent 5 minute to read ONE sentence, but latter he/she will spent 10 seconds to do so and become a winner of gmat. This can take him/her 2 months.

I find that the text of some ,not all, fiction book is similar to gmat text though the idea is the novel is easier than the idea in the RC passage. So reading novel help us practice paraphrasing/read gmat text. To get familiar with the ideas in the gmat text, we read university magazine like university of chicago and havard magazine, which are recommended by beatthegmat forum.

I find out that reading essay is also very good because some essay are similar to gmat text in term of sentence complex and ideas.

Any one find some material which is similar to gmat text, please recommend. Thank you.
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kudos
I read economist....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015