Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton (WL), Ross (W/$$)
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Duke (Accepted + $), Tuck (Accepted), Wharton (WL), Haas (WL), Ross (Accepted), Yale (Accepted), Anderson (Accepted + $$$)
 Q49  V37
GPA: 3.7 from a top 5 US Engineering School
WE 1: 4.5 yrs management consulting at Top-tier firm and then at a life sciences boutique
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Ross($$) or Reapply Top-5? [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Hi guys, I've just been admitted to Ross w/ half tuition scholarship. I am also on the Wharton summer waitlist. Assuming Wharton is out, should I attend Ross or regroup and reapply next year with H/S/W and some of the other top schools like Kellogg, Chicago, etc?

My career goals are Management consulting (MBB) Short term and General management long term. My stats are: 6 years work experience at smaller marketing firm, 3.4 GPA, 710 GMAT, and many solid EC's.

What do you think?

Setting aside pride, ego and the inevitable "what if" scenarios you will no doubt play in your head at some point in the next few years, I'd chose Ross.

Here's why:

* Ross is plenty 'good' to get you that initial interview if you want it.
* Wharton and other programs are no more likely to get an interview with those top firms than Ross is. If we were talking Wharton vs Olin or something like that I'd say there's a material difference, but your odds of getting to swing a bat at MBB at Ross and Wharton are sufficiently similar that I wouldn't say giving up on a half ride is worth the incremental difference - if there is any at all.
* Good research to do: find out how many interview slots there are at Ross for MBB. At Booth, its roughly 100 slots each for the first round. I would just use this as a data point, I wouldn't base my decision off it.
* You probably wont get a job at MBB anyway. Realisticaly speaking you should open your mind to other consulting firms.
* Once you get the interview, no one will give a crap what school you hail from. The guy to your left will be from Booth. The girl to the right will be from Duke. The guy interviewing you wont be from either. It doesnt matter at all.
* Your ability to land MBB will be entirely dependent on your ability to crack a case interview, which frankly, has next to nothing to do with teh school you attend and everything to do with luck and perserverance.

Now all that said, its worth playing out the otehr side of the coin a bit as well: If you think that you'll always kick yourself for not going to a "top" school the likes of H/S/W, there may be a perfectly valid argument for waiting. This I cant argue against - its purely personal, and I dont think there's anything wrong with doing it.

You should also consider how sure you are of your goals. While its true that Ross and Wharton will each give you the chance to make an idiot of yourself in front of MBB, its not true that they have equivalent playing fields in other job functions. I bring this up because a lot of people go into grad school thinking they know what they want to do and leaving doing something else. If that something else happens to end up being corporate finance, banking, investment management, etc, there's little question that Wharton would provide some materially different options over Ross, at least in the short term.

So my advice is:

Go to ross if:
(a) you can live with your decision and wont second guess yourself forever
(b) you are sure you want consulting or GM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: University of Mumbai - Topper in Mathematics
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: IMD INSEAD HBS '13
GMAT Date: 09-23-2012
GPA: 3
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
Totally agree with rhyme (a.k.a the ONE) and EBSIFounder!

Now before I offer my 2 cents:my golden rule - (in future if at all) Don't apply to schools you will NOT ultimately enroll in. So, I know of quite a few who refer to these schools as 'SAFE' schools (especially in the top-15) which I don't agree to. There are no SAFE schools only schools that 'FIT' you well and vice versa. Your case seems to be a classic example..Scholarship in and nothing else unfortunately worked out; you are feeling stuck.

Now Visit ROSS & talk to current students, get your doubts resolved. Also, visit the career services and seek feedback. If you have time, please refer to this link (ROSS Coffee Chat)
https://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba ... udents.htm

Even after this three step process you don't 'FEEL' the ROSS effect. Chuck the idea...and re-apply and don't look back. You just have to work smarter 'n' harder. Do better if possible and that is always possible

Wish you a very good luck. Do let us know your finale decision.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Total interview slots for Ross for Summer Internships this past recruiting season at Ross:

Bain: 60
BCG: 60
Both of these numbers are confirmed through our recruiting website. 75% of them are closed listed meaning the companies select you for interview, the remaining are open for bidding.

McKinsey: I heard around 80. They do it outside of the Ross system so I can't confirm 100% on the numbers, but that was the rumor.

In terms of numbers hired from each firm for summer internships (not including full time hires, which were strong this year) I believe each company was in the 7-10 range. Deloitte S&O took 15 I believe and Booz, Accenture, AT Kearney and the others all took people as well. Again, this is only for summer internships, and next year they'll take more because that's how consulting recruiting goes, or so we're always told.
GMAT Club Bot