Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Investment Management
WE 1: Management Consulting (Accenture, Start-up)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Calling All Georgetown 2011 Applicants (Updated) [#permalink]
R3 Applicant here. I got the "good news" call yesterday at around 12:30 p.m. Eastern. I was actually in the air, on the way home from a business trip, so I missed it. I got the email five minutes after I landed, at around 4:55 p.m.

I have yet to decide if I am going to matriculate, as I have been put on the WL by my number one school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)
Send PM
wahoo2006 wrote:
I am actually choosing Gtown over UNC. Even though UNC may be higher ranked, I have talked to several ppl in NYC who talk highly of Gtown's reputation in IB and I prefer going to a school in a big city since I went to a rural town for undergrad.

Hope that helps.

I was accepted off the w/l yesterday and am deciding between unc and gtown. I'd like to get into consulting in the dc area, so I'm wondering if where I might be able to find the specific recruiting/employment results for that industry in the dc area.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kilian wrote:
wahoo2006 wrote:
I am actually choosing Gtown over UNC. Even though UNC may be higher ranked, I have talked to several ppl in NYC who talk highly of Gtown's reputation in IB and I prefer going to a school in a big city since I went to a rural town for undergrad.

Hope that helps.

I was accepted off the w/l yesterday and am deciding between unc and gtown. I'd like to get into consulting in the dc area, so I'm wondering if where I might be able to find the specific recruiting/employment results for that industry in the dc area.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=georgetown+univers ... ent+report

As a DC resident, I can tell you that Gtown is well respected in this area. If you want to go to consulting in the DC area, Gtown can make that happen. You may need to set your sights beyond McKinsey, Bain and BCG but otherwise, sure.
Manager
Manager
Schools:Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Kilian wrote:
wahoo2006 wrote:

Hope that helps.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=georgetown+univers ... ent+report

As a DC resident, I can tell you that Gtown is well respected in this area. If you want to go to consulting in the DC area, Gtown can make that happen. You may need to set your sights beyond McKinsey, Bain and BCG but otherwise, sure.

I meant beyond the employment records officially released by the school. Thanks for taking the time to put together the let me google that for you link though.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
^^^ well what are you looking for? you're not getting anything super specific unless you call career services. Since you're an admit they would be happy to help.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Investment Management
WE 1: Management Consulting (Accenture, Start-up)
Send PM
A friend of mine who is a currently a 1st year student told me there were a multiple FT offers (3-4) given out by McKinsey this year.

I don't have any other details behind this (office location, salaries, etc) but he mentioned that this was the first time this has happened for Gtown.

Random fact but this is definitely something you cannot get from the employment reports.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Georgetown McD Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, IBD
Schools:Georgetown
Send PM
wahoo2006 wrote:
A friend of mine who is a currently a 1st year student told me there were a multiple FT offers (3-4) given out by McKinsey this year.

I don't have any other details behind this (office location, salaries, etc) but he mentioned that this was the first time this has happened for Gtown.

Random fact but this is definitely something you cannot get from the employment reports.

Similarly, I was told good things with regards to I-banking recruiting at Gtown this year. As expected, private equity recruiting was said to be much more difficult.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
With regards to the MBAMath requirement - I already have an account that I purchased on my own to prepare for the fall. Can I use my scores from that to pass the requirement? If one of my scores is too low, can I re-take that particular part of the course to raise it?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kilian wrote:
With regards to the MBAMath requirement - I already have an account that I purchased on my own to prepare for the fall. Can I use my scores from that to pass the requirement? If one of my scores is too low, can I re-take that particular part of the course to raise it?

Once admitted the adcom seems pretty approachable and reasonable so I would be shocked if they didn't accept those scores and/or let you retake certain sections.

I would give them a holler and inquire.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Kilian wrote:

Yes, you can use your existing MBA Math scores to satisfy Georgetown's requirement. I did the same thing when applying last year. I believe the MBA Math requirement is handled by PJ Grana in MBA Student Services (pjg46@georgetown.edu).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Georgetown's business school has announced their new dean as David A. Thomas, professor and former associate dean of Harvard Business School. Prior to Harvard he taught at Wharton.

Seems like exciting times at GTown

https://www.georgetown.edu/story/newmsbdean.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
Schools:Georgetown/McDonough PT
Send PM
I got an interview for the Evening MBA program. Very surprising since my GMAT was lower than the 80% range, but I realize an interview is hardly acceptance. My resume was very strong, as were my GPA and recommendations. However, I am torn between schools. Assuming G'town says yes, I have a tough decision, and I would appreciate any input.

I have been accepted to American (Kogod) with a sizable ($18.5K) scholarship. I really like the small class sizes, availability of faculty and staff, the very active Alumni, the proactive Career Center, and the "hyper-cooperative" environment of Kogod. I have attended several AU events and really love the school.

That said, I love the Georgetown prestige. McDonough School of Business is much bigger, though the Evening Program is a 60 person cohort. I am pretty sure I will be competing in a pool of sharks for the available resources (faculty, staff, career center, recruiting opportunities, etc).

Of course, they might just tell me to pound sand and re-take my GMAT at the interview, so I may be toiling for naught!

Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jk2010 wrote:
I got an interview for the Evening MBA program. Very surprising since my GMAT was lower than the 80% range, but I realize an interview is hardly acceptance. My resume was very strong, as were my GPA and recommendations. However, I am torn between schools. Assuming G'town says yes, I have a tough decision, and I would appreciate any input.

I have been accepted to American (Kogod) with a sizable ($18.5K) scholarship. I really like the small class sizes, availability of faculty and staff, the very active Alumni, the proactive Career Center, and the "hyper-cooperative" environment of Kogod. I have attended several AU events and really love the school.

That said, I love the Georgetown prestige. McDonough School of Business is much bigger, though the Evening Program is a 60 person cohort. I am pretty sure I will be competing in a pool of sharks for the available resources (faculty, staff, career center, recruiting opportunities, etc).

Of course, they might just tell me to pound sand and re-take my GMAT at the interview, so I may be toiling for naught!

Thoughts?

I would go for Georgetown...the scholarship money is good, but in the long run, it prob won't matter much, whereas the name recognition of Georgetown will be with you forever.

And sure, Gtown may be more competitive (not sure if its a tank of sharks as you claim) but that competitiveness will only make you work harder and be more successful.

In the end, its about choosing the school that will best allow you to achieve your goals...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
Schools:Georgetown/McDonough PT
Send PM
Thanks for the reply Xeon216. I am seriously struggling with this decision. I have a non-traditional background...25 years in the Military...so my resume is full of experience. I have no doubt that I will do well in school, however, I really want to enjoy it as well.

I guess I am faced with the age-old question...Does the B-school really matter? Kogod has a great reputation in the DC area, but can't really compete with the Georgetown brand. But it's the person, not the school, who gets the job in the end.

Tough decision!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am admitted to Georgetown and USC full-time MBA but I want to hear your thoughts before I make a decision.

I am an international applicant with 3 years work experience. Post-MBA I want to work in management consultancy. I have no ties with any of these two places so both schools are equal for me. Which one is more respected in USA and which one would provide me more opportunities to find a job?

Thanks and good luck to all wait listed applicants!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
splendido wrote:
I am admitted to Georgetown and USC full-time MBA but I want to hear your thoughts before I make a decision.

I am an international applicant with 3 years work experience. Post-MBA I want to work in management consultancy. I have no ties with any of these two places so both schools are equal for me. Which one is more respected in USA and which one would provide me more opportunities to find a job?

USC is the better ranked school and IMO is in a better area. Both are good schools, though. If I was in at USC and Georgetown, I would go to USC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
splendido wrote:

Splendido,

First, congrats on being admitted to both schools. I think you will be happy wherever you go. In terms of reputation and job opportunities, I think you will discover that it is very even amongst those schools and generally all MBA programs outside the top 5. Your chances of finding the job you want will rest largely on your shoulders so IMO this decision comes down LOCATION!

- If you want to work/live anywhere on the East Coast, there is no question that you should go to Georgetown

- If you want to work/live anywhere on the West Coast, there is no question that you should go to USC

- If you do not know where you want to live, the best thing you can do is look at the qualities of each school that attracted you to apply in the first place and decide which factors are most important to you.

Both schools have good brands nationally, but job placement will be extremely biased to their respective locations. Good luck and let us know what you decide!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34