Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Marketing career - right fit ? [#permalink]
Thanks for your thoughts, Jerz. It helps. YES, i have given serious thoughts about pursuing an MBA to break into marketing. Infact, i have a plan and have taken the first step by finishing GMAT :). Before putting serious money and time, i want to be reasonably sure that the transition is worth.

In my current IT job, i deal with technology and the impact of my work is at a technical level such as reduction of CPU cycles & efficient design of database and applications. Though challenging and financially rewarding, it doesnt excite me. On the other hand, heading a marketing campaign for festivals fired up my soul and i was thrilled to see people discussing about events i promoted & responding to shows in large numbers.

Having said that I assume that my work in a marketing role will be very close to real life things and that my work (or teams work) will have direct impact on business and people. Is this assumption correct?

Originally posted by JayKay on 19 May 2011, 12:29.
Last edited by JayKay on 19 May 2011, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
One thing to keep in mind is that unlike a lot of other business functions and industries, the biggest difference you'll find in terms of the group dynamics and culture in marketing (especially consumer products marketing) is a far greater presence of women at all levels.

In short, if you've spent most of your professional life (and school life) working mostly with guys, an additional learning curve for you will be how effective you will be working with women. For some people, this isn't a trivial adjustment. Men behave differently if the group is mostly men. Likewise, women behave differently in a group that is mostly women compared to a more mixed group and/or if they are a minority in a sea of men. And that gender mix does have an impact on how you (whether you're a guy or gal) are able to be effective and how you behave and how you communicate in such an environment.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Alex. That's an interesting insight. Fortunately, i have worked in teams with near equal men-women ratio. Most of my bosses have been women.Most importantly, i have a girl friend and an elder sister who have been my friend-mentor-well wisher-partner since high school days. I am very comfortable working with women and that's not a deal breaker for me.

Would also appreciate your inputs to my previous question. Is there a good chance for a marketing MBA guy to get roles that will directly impact business and people? In theory, it should, but practically, does it happen ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, but as with any job/career your first few jobs will have pretty small responsibilities as you learn the ropes and the company decides how much responsibility you can handle. So while people in marketing have a tremendous impact on people (both the employees you'll work with and ultimately supervise, and consumers) and on the business (marketing is ultimately about growing profits), don't expect that your first marketing job will give you sole P&L responsibility for the company's most important product with an army of analysts under your command. Rather, your first job would likely have you be responsible for a small slice of a larger product (eg develop consumer focused digital marketing strategy for Product X) or you may have slightly more responsibility (eg all consumer focused marketing strategies for Product Y) for a small product where if you fail it won't sink the business.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
After some research, B2C Tech marketing has piqued me. This segment of tech industry caters to consumer needs through home use software ( Microsoft, symantec) or through portals on the web (Amazon, facebook).

What are the most common roles taken up by MBAs in this industry segment ? Given my brief profile: https://gmatclub.com/forum/plz-evaluate-indian-it-male-gmat-760-6-yrs-we-gud-ec-116737.html, is it realistic to target such roles post MBA ?

Jerz / AlexMBAappy, your thoughts would be of immense help :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
There are different types of marketing roles - product marketing of a tech company, PR/advertising, P/L responsibility at a big consumer packaged goods company. I think the roles vary a lot and you should think about what environment you want to be in (big company, small, what tye of product etc...)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Hoogets25. Appreciate your inputs :) . I am looking for high level information on different type of roles in Hi-Tech marketing. Given my engineering-IT background, which of these roles can i realistically target ? I would be using this information to finalize my post-MBA goal which in-turn would help me identify a list of B Schools.

I see that "Product Management" is one such role.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Now in a days to build a good career in marketing is very successful part in life.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If you really enjoy marketing, as you say, then moving in that direction sounds like a great choice. I think it's definitely worth it. You won't start off making six figures, but depending on what market you're in, you can come out of school making more than your age!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Typically the post-MBA roles for tech companies are along the lines of
-product marketing management
-product management (if you have EE/CS background)
-sales & operations management
-various typical corporate finance/HR roles

For example for a company like Microsoft you might join one the home entertainment group and work as a product marketing manager for Zune.
Or for Amazon you might own the cosmetics product line and be in charge of growing Amazon's sales in for that product category.

JayKay wrote:
After some research, B2C Tech marketing has piqued me. This segment of tech industry caters to consumer needs through home use software ( Microsoft, symantec) or through portals on the web (Amazon, facebook).

What are the most common roles taken up by MBAs in this industry segment ? Given my brief profile: https://gmatclub.com/forum/plz-evaluate-indian-it-male-gmat-760-6-yrs-we-gud-ec-116737.html, is it realistic to target such roles post MBA ?

Jerz / AlexMBAappy, your thoughts would be of immense help :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think you are apt in Marketing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Marketing is a broad term...
If you have an interest in any industry like high tech, medical, whatever. I would recommend that you get your undergrad degree related to that. After you complete the MBA it will give you an advantage that only have the business credentials. You will also bring to the table skills specific to the industry.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi JayKay,

The thing about marketing it that it's one of the broadest discipline, many things fall under marketing, even your job as an IT professional has marketing elements to it - for example, building a search feature on a site to increase site usability. Everyone in every level of an organisation does marketing to a certain extent, from the company's courier who delivers stuff, to the customer service officer who attends to customers, all the way up to the managing director who plans on which global marketing to enter next.

If you want to move on into a marketing career, your IT background will be immensely useful - many of the most successful entreprenuers out there are able to build their product from scratch and then promote it to their target audience - your combination of skillsets make you very independent and self reliant. A great example of someone who possesses adept IT knowledge and sharp business acumen is Sean Parker, co-founder of the file-sharing computer service Napster and the first president of the social networking Web site Facebook.

Having a formal education in business marketing will be beneficial to you in the following ways:

1) It concretizes your knowledge of marketing
Whereas at first you might have just been 'feeling around' and using your instincts to do marketing, you now have knowledge and insights of the strategies and processes you're implementing, how and why they work, and a clear and actionable concepts and theories that you can apply with a higher level of proficiency.
For example - salespeople may know how to make people buy stuff, but if they knew about the 5 stages of consumer decision making, they'd be able to move customers much more quickly into a purchase decision.

2) It expands your knowledge
People who don't have formal marketing knowledge might not feel the need to study business marketing because they think they know all there is to know - this is a very myopic perspective and it only hinders their true potential and growth as a business person. Marketing is a very broad subject, it's very easy to have a shallow understanding of many different marketing related topics like economics, accountancy, finance, business strategy, etc, but having a good comprehension on each of these topics and bringing them altogether for critical decision making is another thing altogether.

I'll stop here first, do let me know your thoughts on my comments

JayKay wrote:
I am an IT professional with 5 years work ex. Marketing has piqued my interest and am exploring whether it makes real sense to change. Based on the info on the web, marketing seems to offer exciting opportunities to people who got a sense of how to persuade people / manage public perceptions / promote an idea / communicate essence of a brand or benefits of products.I consider myself good in the above areas based on extraordinary performance in the below roles. These roles were outside my core responsibilities and i had engaged purely out of enthusiasm. The big question is "Do these successes make me a good fit for marketing jobs ?". In other words, "Are the tasks involved in these roles representative of tasks in marketing at least to some extent" ?

1- Head of Marketing campaign for a week long technology festival in 2010 @ my workplace. The festival engaged about 1000 people. The Campaign included designing posters, banners, email communications, roadshows, email based teaser events , outdoor teaser events and newsletters. The Success of the fest was well attributed to the successful marketing campaign. I had headed a similar campaign for another week long back in 2009.

2 - Founder of a points based system to continuously (not just during appraisal times) remind employees of their appraisal goals and encourage even baby steps taken towards their goals. The system did not practically workout but the idea was very well received by the management.

3 - Head Election campaigner for my gang in students union election. Had single handedly planned the election campaign, sold the campaign ideas to my gang, executed the plan flawlessly and successfully got our candidate win (against a very powerful candidate) in a long drawn, fiercely fought election.

4- Besides, i had engaged regularly in planning & organizing college cultural festivals, technical festivals , fun events and slide shows.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think it can be make a good fit for marketing jobs. In future to build a good career in marketing will be very successful part in life.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
RupeshShukla wrote:
I think it can be make a good fit for marketing jobs. In future to build a good career in marketing will be very successful part in life.

Your sentence doesn't make any sense.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Marketing often provides fast-paced, exciting perform. When working with an established customer and item, it is necessary to meet continuous perform output deadlines for book in create and other press. This means that idea growth and performance cannot continue at a relaxing speed but must go forward quickly. Often, customers buy not just a single marketing but a full strategy, such as television, create, stations, and internet advertising. These strategies are harmonized and the moment of each piece of the program is critical to the campaign’s efficiency. When promoters get involved in new service, the perform is not only exciting but may also require making perform output deadlines. Companies don’t function in a vacuum; they face opponents who are trying to carry new products to the market first.

cbse schools in jaipur | cbse school jaipur | cbse school in jaipur
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
GMAT Tutor
1906 posts