Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Re: So, how busy will I be at B-School?? [#permalink]
I think an MBA is flexible enough to let you choose the degree of "overwhelmedness" you want. You are not obliged to attend every social event, every conference, every recruitment event, etc.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Since most students want to get everything they can out of an MBA program, most people end up very busy.

In my first year, I spent pretty much 6 days a week going non-stop from 7am to 11pm or so. The seventh day was a little more laid back. That was a combination of academic, recruiting and socializing. My summer internship was great because I was only doing 50 hours or so a week. It seemed like a vacation.

However, even though I was really busy:
- I pretty much got to do everything I wanted.
- I always got 7 hr of sleep a night, if I wanted to.
- You spend a lot of time socializing/networking, so it's not all work
- I found it so interesting that being that busy was actually fun

RF
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
It's apples and oranges.

At work, it's a "bad busy" -- you're busy because of other people's sh*t: your boss, colleagues, etc. and it's not *your* time but company time.

In school, it's a "good busy" -- you're busy because you choose to be on your own sh*t. For the most part (except for group projects, but it's nowhere near as tedious or dreadful as work).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
It's apples and oranges.

At work, it's a "bad busy" -- you're busy because of other people's sh*t: your boss, colleagues, etc. and it's not *your* time but company time.

In school, it's a "good busy" -- you're busy because you choose to be on your own sh*t. For the most part (except for group projects, but it's nowhere near as tedious or dreadful as work).

well said :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Would I be right in saying that how hectic/busy/crazy your early business school life is - is strongly related to your own personal levels of FOMO (fear of missing out). People will have a disaster timetable if they can't prioritize and manage time like highhopes!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
WE 1: 5 years consulting
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
It's apples and oranges.

Lol, your explanation really makes sense and really put things in perspective for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I just started my MBA with ESMT in Berlin. I have to say I was considering getting a job myself, to help with the financing. However, once I started I realised it was not a very realistic plan.

There are courses all day every day. Many of the assignments imply groupwork, which is good learning, but quite expensive in terms of time. You don't get to just sit down and do what you can at your laptop. You have to discuss, debate, find common grounds and integrate. It is challenging and interesting, but this means you will get home late (assuming you don't go out to a club, too), and do some self-study.

It probably depends on the MBA programme, but this is the same story that I have heard from other MBA friends, and that I am experiencing right now.

Costina
(*in a group work meeting at school)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
B-School is as busy as you want it to be with one exception - if you're planning to recruit for i-banking and to a certain extent, MC.

I-banking recruiting is brutal and looong! Please plan accordingly. In fact, expect to write-off your first semester or first two quarters academically if you plan on recruiting for ibanking. It's just harsh, stressful and extremely time-consuming.
Banned
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
tdave wrote:
B-School is as busy as you want it to be with one exception - if you're planning to recruit for i-banking and to a certain extent, MC.

I-banking recruiting is brutal and looong! Please plan accordingly. In fact, expect to write-off your first semester or first two quarters academically if you plan on recruiting for ibanking. It's just harsh, stressful and extremely time-consuming.

fuccc, I have heard it was bad, but I didn't realize it was THAT time intensive even before the 2nd semester of your first year. Damn. I was hoping b-school would be like a 2 year vacation before the real world kicks in (haha just like undergrad is).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
southernstunna wrote:
tdave wrote:

fuccc, I have heard it was bad, but I didn't realize it was THAT time intensive even before the 2nd semester of your first year. Damn. I was hoping b-school would be like a 2 year vacation before the real world kicks in (haha just like undergrad is).

You should only expect ibanking recruiting to affect your first semester (your first two quarters if your school is on the quarter system). And yes, it's long and brutal. You two-year vacation doesn't start until you get a summer internship under your belt. Until then, it's anxiety-ridden madness.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Here's a corollary to this thread:

I love the drinks industry (beer, wine, spirits) and I want to get a little bartending experience while getting my MBA, but I'm not sure if that's a realistic goal or not.

Just a touch of bartending experience would be great to have under my belt as I build experience and credibility in this industry, but working as a bartender is a bit of a step back once you're in a sales or marketing track. I figured getting the bartending experience while going back to grad school would be perfect... even if I have to read case studies from behind the bar when things get slow! Plus having a bit of income while at b school would be really nice...

Is this unrealistic, am I going to be plenty busy enough with MBA classes? In a perfect world, I'd also be able to play some club lacrosse, work out, and see my girlfriend regularly throughout grad school, but there are only so many hours in the day :)

FYI I'm looking to go to a top 10/20 school.

Thanks for your help and feedback!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
It's apples and oranges.

:) well said
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Since most students want to get everything they can out of an MBA program, most people end up very busy.

In my first year, I spent pretty much 6 days a week going non-stop from 7am to 11pm or so. The seventh day was a little more laid back. That was a combination of academic, recruiting and socializing. My summer internship was great because I was only doing 50 hours or so a week. It seemed like a vacation.

However, even though I was really busy:
- I pretty much got to do everything I wanted.
- I always got 7 hr of sleep a night, if I wanted to.
- You spend a lot of time socializing/networking, so it's not all work
- I found it so interesting that being that busy was actually fun

RF

Thanks for this insight. Good to hear that one still has time to sleep!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A friend of mine who goes to Wharton told me that they have a non-disclosure policy when it comes to your MBA GPA. In other words if you graduate the employer can't ask for your GPA. My friend tells me she just aims for average and has enough time for social events. The only way to distinguish yourself would be through an honours degree.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
lazerguy82 wrote:
A friend of mine who goes to Wharton told me that they have a non-disclosure policy when it comes to your MBA GPA. In other words if you graduate the employer can't ask for your GPA. My friend tells me she just aims for average and has enough time for social events. The only way to distinguish yourself would be through an honours degree.

I thought you can't tell a recruiter while you are in school, but once you graduate its open season on your grades (confirmation?). And the awards give away the better students right away. No grades? The top X% get this award the top Y% get that one. similar, but not the same.

People should care about their grades in school. But you friend isn't doing anything wrong per say.

Also lots of schools have grade disclosure.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Washington University in St. Louis, Mckendree University
GPA: 3.94
WE 1: 11 years Network Engineering
Send PM
Any other experiences people would like to share on how busy they are?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
I was reading something Letsgomets wrote to me via PM and it got me thinking
Quote:
Factoid about this whole b-school process - people in MBA programs will tell you how busy they are, and when you're applying to schools you sort of shrug it off and don't think about it much. When you get to school, you have some sort of expectation that you'll be busy, but you can wind up being far more busy than you ever expected to be.

For those who are in or have been in b school, is it truly overwhelming at first? I've had demanding jobs for my WE (not like ib or mc) and still get out....

Look forward to your thoughts.

I'm on a 1 year course and the consensus is: Enough sleep - Good grades - Social life - choose 2. ;-P Seriously though, I think you just need to know what your priorities are and time management is key! Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2