Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2215 [37]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: From 620 to 710: My GMAT journey [#permalink]
Kudos
Good work, that is a very nice increase. That is what I am shooting for as well. My first practice test was a 630, and I am hoping for a 700+.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Operations
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 680  Q48  V35 GMAT 3: 710  Q48  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Send PM
Good work sirjee. Cheers.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Awesome defrief, gmatpapa. Just awesome.

I have got some comments and queries. Would really appreciate if you could reply to the queries.
gmatpapa wrote:
Getting obsessed with test scores: I took a lot of practice tests before my first attempt. And as I remembered, I was taking them just to see the score at the end. A 620 made me frustrated, a 680 made me relatively happy. What I was not doing was that I was not reviewing my tests properly. I didn't even go back and check the topics I was faring poorly on. For me, only the scores mattered and that was probably the biggest mistake I made the first time around.
A big learning for me. Recently I also found myself to be with this very same symptom!

gmatpapa wrote:
2. 1000 SC/ CR etc: I was pretty excited to learn about them but the excitement soon gave way when I found out there is no authentic source for explanations or even correct answers. I quickly gave them up and focused on more genuine questions.
Are these completely worthless? I have collected these materials too. Should I better avoid these?

gmatpapa wrote:
4. Quant: I have always struggled with both timing and accuracy.
I am having the same issue but with verbal. Any suggestion(s)?

gmatpapa wrote:
4. GMAT Club tests: Helped me immensely to get rid of my math phobia and to time myself. I started off with around 19-20 incorrect answers and graduated to average around 9/10 incorrect per test. I would say that if you can finish the test on time with not more than 5-6 wrong on a consistent basis, you may well be on your way to Quant glory.
Thank you for this concrete idea.

gmatpapa wrote:
5. GMATPrep: I brutally misused these tests in that I never took them with AWA, scoring around 730-740 on the previously un-attempted tests. So guys, get in the habit of taking the AWA with your test. If you do not then you can safely take out 30 points from your score.
Thanks, again, for this.

gmatpapa wrote:
Quant Section: A big problem that has plagued my quant score throughout is the silly mistakes, almost 3-5 questions/ test.
Same here. Any overcoming strategy(ies) to suggest?

gmatpapa wrote:
Verbal: SCs have grown tougher. Lot tougher.
Does this toughness have something to do with the length of the stem sentence or to do with introducing some new types of grammar rule?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
great score and very informational debrief.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2215 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks guys :)

Schawjibb wrote:
Awesome defrief, gmatpapa. Just awesome.

I have got some comments and queries. Would really appreciate if you could reply to the queries.
gmatpapa wrote:
Getting obsessed with test scores: .

A big learning for me. Recently I also found myself to be with this very same symptom!
Yes, the score-mania can have opposite consequences at times. After taking tests, just make sure to devote some time to review your tests. Tests should be used as an assessment+learning tool and not just the former.

gmatpapa wrote:
2. 1000 SC/ CR etc:
Are these completely worthless? I have collected these materials too. Should I better avoid these?
Actually, I didn't do them enough to form an opinion as to whether these are useful or useless. However, what i can say is that if you do the OG questions extremely closely, ie reviewing each and every question (including the ones you got right) you may just not need these resources.

gmatpapa wrote:
4. Quant: I have always struggled with both timing and accuracy.
I am having the same issue but with verbal. Any suggestion(s)?
Dedicate time to theory as well. Only way to improve timing in either of the sections is to have the foundations rock solid. Whichever books you're following for Verbal, make sure you get into the habit of taking notes. It helped me alot.

gmatpapa wrote:
Quant Section: A big problem that has plagued my quant score throughout is the silly mistakes, almost 3-5 questions/ test.
Same here. Any overcoming strategy(ies) to suggest?
Develop speed. In that case, you can have some extra time to double check on questions, especially the shifty DS ones. The GMAT Club tests may just help you on these issues as they have tons of questions that require a very sharp focus. Slowly, you'll start getting a hang of them. Also, remember things like: checking for zero, reading the question properly, if x is non-negative then x is not necessarily positive etc etc Blah! I wish I followed my own advice. Again, do the GMAt Club tests- they'll train you for these things and let me be clear that you'll learn a lot of things the hard way :D happens to everyone and if you find yourself hitting your head against the wall in disgust or tearing off your answer sheets, you're on the right path lol :)

gmatpapa wrote:
Verbal: SCs have grown tougher. Lot tougher.
Does this toughness have something to do with the length of the stem sentence or to do with introducing some new types of grammar rule?
Well i saw a lot of unconventional questions on SC- use of being, questions with dash (-), colon (:) etc etc. Invariably, I was stuck between two answer choices at the end and had to really push my brain to go back to the basics and evaluate the two remaining answer choices. Nothing to do with the length of the stem and absolutely no new grammar topics.

HTH, If you have any more questions, just let me know!
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
gmatpapa wrote:
HTH, If you have any more questions, just let me know!
You are just AWESOME! Will get back to you again once I finish my quant section prep and begin my verbal section prep. :-)
Thanks a zillion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Consulting
Send PM
Excellent job and great debrief! I just took my first practice exam and scored just shy of 600. How did you attack your weakness areas? Did you completely dedicate to improving Quant first, then verbal? Did you mix the both? Thanks.

T5G
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for asking T5G 8-) I think I should've included my study plan in the debrief itself, but here it is now:

Total duration of study: Around 2.5 months.

First month: Quant Quant and only Quant:
During mock tests, I figured out two things:
(i) Verbal is not really a pain area for me and I wouldn't need to devote too much time on it.
(ii) Doing well on Quant is extremely important for not only a good quant score but also for a good Verbal score. Reason is that if you do not stress out too much on Quant, your mind will have that much more energy during the Verbal section. Therefore, I dedicated more time to Quant in general than I did to Verbal. It paid off as my quant section on the G-day went well (at least stress free) and it gave me major confidence for Verbal section.
So, if quant is one of your weak areas, you may want to become comfortable with it, and then move on to studying Verbal section. For material I used, refer to the main debrief above. I may also recommend that you make a study plan that suits you and stick to it. Don't make it too tight though.

Second Month: Both Quant and Verbal but mainly Quant.
I was still not extremely confident with Quant and still had timing issues. here's when GMAT Club tests came into picture. I started taking them one by one, reviewing mistakes and making notes of them. For the mistakes I made, I would then go and find similar questions on OG and GMAT Club forums and solve around 5-10 of them. Slowly, both timing and accuracy improved.
Verbal: Started taking notes from MGMAT SC and Powerscore CR Bible, simultaneously solving relevant questions from OG and GC forums. For RC, I just practiced from OG 11 and 12, referring to MGMAT RC book somewhat but not to a great extent.

Last 15-20 days:Solidifying basics, taking tests and solving OG Quant and Verbal review books:
Till this point, I was relatively comfortable with both sections and now it was time to just train my mind to not do anything stupid on a continuous basis. I was 100% confident that I won't be able to avoid all stupid mistakes that I make on mock tests, but then I had to try to minimize them. So, this period was pretty much dedicated to carefully solving OG questions and GMATPrep questions- a very real indicator of how you stand section wise. And of course, reviewing them. I started to use an error log but soon gave it up. Not that I didn't see value in them but that I was kind of a lazy ass.

Also took GMATPrep tests multiple times during this period. But I so regret that I took them without AWAs. Thats the biggest advice I can give you. DO NOT waste GMATPrep by taking them without AWAs. There are plenty of other tests on which you can skip AWAs and see a good score at the end, but do not flatter yourself on the next best thing to the real GMAT.

Hope you find this helpful :)

gP
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Operations
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 680  Q48  V35 GMAT 3: 710  Q48  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Send PM
What were ur repeat gmat prep scores ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2215 [0]
Send PM
I pulled out my 1st attempt scores from MGMAT

MGMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
MGMAT 2: 640 Q38 V38
MGMAT 3: 600 Q36 V36
MGMAT 4: 650 Q44 V35
MGMAT 5: 630 Q37 V38
MGMAT 6: 710 Q45 V41 (whoa!! I absolutely didn't remember I scored this during my first attempt. I remembered a 710 in MGMAT but i thought it was on a retake! But anyways, I guess all the tough questions would've been exhausted by this time)

Tests I took during second attempt:

Kaplan tests: I reset the tests but as far as I can remember- all were between 620-660
MGMAT tests: I took only Quant tests with a different login ID, scoring around 46-49
Knewton free test: 650 Q41 V41
Veritas free test: I dont remember but somewhere around 650
Princeton Review: Dont remember the overall score but they scored me horribly on Quant. i think 41 or 42, that too like a month before my exam. It was a major let-downer
GMATprep1: 730 Q49 V41
GMATprep2: 740 Q49 V42 I took GMATpreps multiple times after this.

All tests taken without AWAs.

Originally posted by gmatpapa on 08 Jun 2011, 08:15.
Last edited by gmatpapa on 08 Jun 2011, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bblast wrote:
What were ur repeat gmat prep scores ?

over 750
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Consulting
Send PM
gmatpapa wrote:
I pulled out my 1st attempt scores from MGMAT

MGMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
MGMAT 2: 640 Q38 V38
MGMAT 3: 600 Q36 V36
MGMAT 4: 650 Q44 V35
MGMAT 5: 630 Q37 V38
MGMAT 6: 710 Q45 V41 (whoa!! I absolutely didn't remember I scored this during my first attempt. I remembered a 710 in MGMAT but i thought it was on a retake! But anyways, I guess all the tough questions would've been exhausted by this time)

Awesome, thanks for sharing the scores. I figure your verbal dipped after your 2nd CAT since you were more focused on quant, huh? You mentioned that you weren't worried about verbal. I'm having a hard time deciphering if I should split up the workload (one day quant, one day verbal, etc...) Thing is my Q/V split was almost even 35Q 33V, so I'm not necessarily weak in one particular area, but I'm looking to significantly improve the verbal portion since it's more weighted than quant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for sharing the scores. I figure your verbal dipped after your 2nd CAT since you were more focused on quant, huh? You mentioned that you weren't worried about verbal.

Nope.. it was during my first attempt and I didnt really focus on anything except just thoughtlessly taking tests on back to back days.

Quote:
I'm having a hard time deciphering if I should split up the workload (one day quant, one day verbal, etc...)

Its upto you how you decide to split your workload. But I would suggest that if you're doing a particular topic, say Mixtures, don't move onto anything new unless you've mastered the topic at hand.

Quote:
Thing is my Q/V split was almost even 35Q 33V, so I'm not necessarily weak in one particular area, .

35Q 33V is not an even split. 35Q is less than 50th percentile while 33V is around 65. An even split will be 44Q 33 V. Clearly, you need more improvement in the Quant area. 33V is a not-so-bad score and I think you should be familiar with most of the topics tested. You just need to dig deeper now (OG/ GMATprep questions).

Quote:
but I'm looking to significantly improve the verbal portion since it's more weighted than quant

I'm not too sure that I quite understand what you're saying, but both sections are equally important. A 51V and 40Q 750 will not impress the adcom as much as a 41V and 50Q 750 will.

Best of luck with your study plan, and let me know if there's anything else I could help with :)

Thanks and Regards,
gP
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Good job sir!
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
great debrief and thanks for your posts.
for SC,what was your accuracy on the CATs. did you practice Q's only from OG? i am not doing too well on this section and hence looking for good practice Q's. My current accuracy is around 60% and have already read MGMAT SC twice.

Thanks,
LC
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi LifeChanger,

My accuracy in SCs on non official questions was pretty high- close to 85%. On Official questions, it was lower than that. Around 75-80 I would say.

I learnt concepts primarily from MGMAT SC. For practice, I did mostly Official questions (OG11+OG12+Verbal review+ GMATPrep questions) and reviewed questions from MGMAT CATs I'd taken during my first attempt.

If you seek my opinion, I would suggest you to do all official questions really thoroughly, especially the GMATPrep questions (you can find them here: gmatprepsc-105446.html . For me, that was the best SC resource. Sort of a reality check so to speak. The SCs that you're gonna see on the real test will be of similar difficulty level if not tougher. So, if the need be, do them twice after a gap of say 20 days or so. If you dont have that much time, do as many you can but do them like you have to own them.

Regards,
gP
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
gmatpapa - Thanks for your advice
GMAT Club Bot