Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: HBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
applying summer round for 2+2
rpsingh wrote:
applying summer round for 2+2

You might enjoy this

A Shrewd Undergraduate's Guide to HBS Admissions

Published, THE HARVARD CRIMSON, On 4/20/2008

Sanford Kreisberg is the founder of hbsguru.com, a business school admissions consultancy. He has advised scores of Harvard graduates about applying to HBS over the past 10 years . . . .

1. Try to have a high GPA and do not fall for the canard that the admissions committee is aware of hard courses, and will give you a break. They are aware of A, B, and C. They have no idea if Post-Modern Feminist Approaches to Derivative Trading is a hard course or a gut. Take a lot of guts, and use the extra time to explore extra activities. Do not innocently engage in learning for 'learning sake' --although certainly say you do. Do not take introductory Arabic or Chinese because they sound contemporary and important, especially when most kids in those classes will be native speakers looking for guts. Do not take some super-duper math course because it sounds 'interesting.'

2. Try to have a high GMAT, but HBS is not obsessed with this; they are more concerned with your GPA, and will not get too shook up with a 680 or even a 660 GMAT if they 'otherwise love you' and that can apply to even non-minorities. A 720 GMAT is normative, a 750 won't help you as much as you think, and a jumbo 770+ is a nice touch, especially if a keystone of your application is that you are smart or quanty.

3. Be strategic about extracurriculars: try to be a leader. Try to find an issue where you can lead based on interests or identity politics. Think about Miss America, where each finalist has some 'signature' issue like overcoming learning disabilities or improving inner-city education. Get a signature issue of your own. Leading a club based on your ethnicity, personal concerns, diseases, or political ideas is good. Try to be innovative and expand the organization’s programs and membership.

4. Be a work in progress. HBS is obsessed with 'transforming' its students, so the persona you should present in your application is someone who is both focused and accomplished, yet open to change. You don't need to be overly interested in business per se; rather, you need to be interested in the intersection of your personal passion, signature issue, or academic interest with the potential social impact. Thus, if you have a passion for biology, you would do better presenting yourself as someone interested in how biology can cure disease among groups a, b, or c, rather than someone obsessed with Biotech companies and their relative stock values. HBS will "transform" you into the latter.

5. For the 2+2 program, which is new, it is better to pretend to be 'out of it' about business
than someone who has been obsessed with business ever since your grandfather gave you 100 shares of General Electric for your 10th birthday. HBS is looking for science and artsy kids who otherwise, without HBS's wonderful “2+2” program, never would have thought about business, and would have gone to (gasp) law school. So, be a techie who was happy being a nerd until, poof, “2+2” came along, and then you discovered you could be a business nerd. Think transformation.

6. In your essays, show what makes you tick; the essays are not brag sheets. Don't list what you did so much as account for how you were effective getting others, like professors and other students, to help you. Think Tom Sawyer. Get the others to help you paint the fence. Don't brag about raising money for charity, but explain how you convinced 20 other kids to help you raise money for charity.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey sandy, thanks, i have read almost all of your articles about MBA admissions in the past two months.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
you have been shaping the way i have written my essays with your advice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I am thinking of putting in HBS as one of my stretch schools ... but it might be too much of a stretch :) ... hopefully this forum would thow up some information which will make the decision easier for me.
pyarapopat wrote:
I am thinking of putting in HBS as one of my stretch schools ... but it might be too much of a stretch :) ... hopefully this forum would thow up some information which will make the decision easier for me.

YES IT WILL. FOR OPENERS JUST TELL US YOUR STATS, AGE, WORK HISTORY AND EXTRAS, AND FOLKS ON THIS FORUM WILL OFTEN TELL YOU IF THEY THINK YOU HAVE A CHANCE.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Sandy,

I'm a newbie here and want to start by seeking your opinion on what my chances for HBS are.

GPA 4.0/4.0 (small private college here in US...)
Major (CS)
WE (IT with two major investment banks...3.5 years combined)
GMAT (TBD...Sept 2011)
GRE (1420 Q 730/V 690)
Concentration (Entrepreneurship, PE/VC with high interest in emerging markets)
Extracurricular (Mainly working with special needs kids consistently all through college , nothing much since then as work doesn't leave much time)
Age 29.... I know , work-experience and age "don't match"...had a hiatus in college education due to personal/family issues :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey sandy, what should letters of recommendation say about a 2+2 applicant? any specific advice which could be helpful? thanks
[quote="jay4den
Age 29.... I know , work-experience and age "don't match"...had a hiatus in college education due to personal/family issues [/quote]

dunno, not looking like an HBS admit, age is one drawback and lack of prestige jobs another, and nothing drving you in. The hiatus is not helping and altho one wished it could be turned into a positive, that is prob. not the case here, in the cold light of adcom decision making, vs. the warm glow of adcom road shows.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Sandy...but can you shed more light on " lack of prestige jobs another, and nothing drving you in" ? Per prestige jobs , do you mean job as a function of age ? and I don't get the "nothing drving you in part".

I really appreciate your candid views
Question for Quanty Types --what is HBS average gmat for class entering in Sept 2011???

for the HBS class entering in 2010 (last year) Dee Leopold, the adcom head (aka her royal highness) said on her blog the following

GMAT Score Range 510-790
Middle 50% GMAT Score Range 710-750
Average GMAT 724

for class entering in 2011, e.g THIS SEPT, her majesty reported on her blog the following:

GMAT Score Range 490-790
Median GMAT 730

Based on what you know intuitively about gmat distributions, and using the data above in any way, and adding to the mix some good guess work, what do you think the average gmat score is for the class entering in 2011, the one which has a median score of 730??
Do you think it is higher or lower than 724 and why?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE:Other (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Considering applying...probably R2 so my application has improved by then...

GPA: 3.9 undergrad (econ/psych), 3.9+ grad (MA in social and quantitative psychology)
GMAT: 770
WE: 3 years at matriculation (venture capital)
Post-MBA plans: brand management
Female

Kinda sad VC is down. Though it's not clear from these numbers if acceptance rates among venture capital applicants are down or if applications from vc's were down (the industry has really contracted in the last few years).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
In for R1...let the fun begin!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
blg529 - I have similar stats as you. Yes VC is down but I think there's a lot from the job that you can draw from / reflect. I'm applying R1. Profile below:

WE: 4 years at matriculation (bulge bracket ibanking + VC)
GPA: 3.91 Computer Engineering + Finance (Top 3 engineering school)
GMAT: 770

Best of luck to you and others applying!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
I still have to take my GMAT so I'll know afterwards if I can even dream of HBS as a stretch school, but I would certainly love to give it a try. Good luck to everyone!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Good luck folks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
You didn't point out that of those 7 percentage points off finance, 5 percentage points went to manufacturing.

I also spy a subtle increase in representation from Africa and Central/South America and a decrease for Europe. Folks from emerging markets were more popular.

hbsguru wrote:
HBS CLASS ADMITTED THIS YEAR (entering 2011) VS LAST YEAR (entered 2010)
FINANCIAL SERVICES BLOODBATH
HEADLINES
1. apps DOWN fr. 9524 to 9134
2. PE/VC Down fr. 18pct to 13pct -HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. Women up 36 to 39 pct
4. Class size up fr. 910 to 918
5. Investment banking and Investment Management DOWN fr. 14 to 12 pct

Class of 2013*

Originally posted by formerlyknownas on 08 Jun 2011, 12:08.
Last edited by formerlyknownas on 13 Jun 2011, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts