Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72877 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Integrated Reasoning [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Also, related:

Make $20 or win other prizes for taking the Integrated Reasoning Section
gmat-spend-a-extra-20-minutes-on-questions-and-get-goodies-114241.html
july-to-aug-extra-integrated-section-reward-116250.html

As to the section and what to expect, you can probably see it here:

Finally You Tube Video
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5UvUmrc96o[/youtube]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
zaman110: What do you mean you have registered to take the exam in June 2012?

If I were you, I would look to sit it earlier, begin preparation based on the abundance of material for the current format, and nail it!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72877 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Speaking of which, found this video too, but could not listen (sound disappeared on my laptop). You tell me if any bad.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNd2hnrxI38[/youtube]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I took the GMAT a couple days ago and I was one of the integrated reasoning guinea pigs. After the test I sat for another 12 questions in the new format. They had two basic types:

The first is an elaborate decision flow chart, resembling a complex snowflake or some wacky molecule. The questions were about following the logical flow of the chart, like "If [A] then, [B], [C] or [D] etc?"

The second type looked like a reading comprehension thing, with text on one side and questions on the other, except instead of a 3 paragraph block of text, there was just a few sentence introductory blurb, and then other tabs you'd click on to reveal tables of data. The questions were all about reading the tables. Interestingly, these questions had a calculator to use within the software, since many of the questions boiled down to "which row has the following ratio between column A and column B."

Basically, the questions seemed to be testing PowerPoint and Excel literacy, respectively, which I guess is pretty pertinent to the modern B-school curriculum (certainly moreso than dastardly data sufficiency inequalities about the absolute value of various unknown variables would be)

Originally posted by JoelCairo on 10 Jul 2011, 06:54.
Last edited by JoelCairo on 10 Jul 2011, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72877 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you! Very interesting.

We usually do not allow any textbor question references posted from the real test but I think it is appropriate to have it here

Thank you for the report!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Thank you! Very interesting.

We usually do not allow any textbor question references posted from the real test but I think it is appropriate to have it here

Thank you for the report!

Sorry about that, still a N00b. I've edited the post to remove reference to content, and just leave info about the basic format. If it's still not in compliance with board standards, I'd be happy to edit further.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I am slated to take the exam in Jan 2013. I wanted to know how to construct a study plan. How should I go about preparing for the exam.
Which areas should I focus on?.

Please feel free to give me your suggestions/comments.

Cheers,

Gautam
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
zaman110 wrote:
Hello All,

I have registered to take the GMAT in the end of October 2012.

In my understanding, the GMAT will be modified by then to incorporate a section called Integrated Reasoning and 1 Essay will be eliminated.

Unfortunately I haven't see much information about this new section nor have I noticed any of the GMAT prepatory companies (Veritas, Manhattan, Kaplan, GMATPill, ect) really provide much instruction on how to study this new new material.

I'd like to use this post to collect some vital study/strategy techniques on how to tackle that section.

If anyone has any information please let me (and the rest of us who will be effected by the change) know about it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi zaman110,

We do indeed have a strong section for integrated reasoning. Please reference this link: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -reasoning

You can also reference our IR Ebook here: https://www.gmatpill.com/integrated-reas ... gmat-pill/

Hope that helps!
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gautam21 wrote:
Hello,

I am slated to take the exam in Jan 2013. I wanted to know how to construct a study plan. How should I go about preparing for the exam.
Which areas should I focus on?.

Please feel free to give me your suggestions/comments.

Cheers,

Gautam

Hi Guatam,

Kaplan does offer Integrated Reasoning prep as part of it's courses. However, while prep for this new section is necessary, we still recommend focusing your efforts on the Quantitative and Verbal sections of the exam. It's possible that this will change in the future, but right now, there simply isn't enough data correlating IR scores with B-school success for admissions departments to strongly consider them during the application process. A very low IR score might be a red flag, but schools are currently more likely to care about your 200-800 score than your 1-8 Integrated Reasoning score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi all, do you know whether the IR section is adaptive as well? Will it get tougher if you get answers right?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aximili85 wrote:
Hi all, do you know whether the IR section is adaptive as well? Will it get tougher if you get answers right?
Non-adaptive!

Regards,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi all, I wrote my GMAT 8 days ago but have not received my IR/AWA scores in my email. Is that normal? Should I contact GMAC and check or give it a few more days? I got my AWA score within 3 days the last time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
Hi all, I wrote my GMAT 8 days ago but have not received my IR/AWA scores in my email. Is that normal? Should I contact GMAC and check or give it a few more days? I got my AWA score within 3 days the last time.

Guess the response is delayed but per the site the score will be reported in 20 days. I guess you would have got it by now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
avrgmat wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:

Guess the response is delayed but per the site the score will be reported in 20 days. I guess you would have got it by now.

Just got it last night! Took their time didn't they! Thanks though =)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Hello, what minimum IR score should I aim at? I am taking exam in a few weeks. I am not at all prepared for this section and have not been fond of interpreting data.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Winds81 wrote:
Hello, what minimum IR score should I aim at? I am taking exam in a few weeks. I am not at all prepared for this section and have not been fond of interpreting data.

Hey Winds, most schools are not taking the score too seriously this year. INSEAD released a statement that they won't factor it in the final decisions for 2013 apps. That said, one doesn't know if that will change next year, or whether some schools are going to see a low IR score and form some kind of judgement (after all, we're all taking it easy so a higher IR score for an equivalent GMAT raw score means you managed to fit in a more holistic prep).

I wrote the GMAT again last month and neglected IR, but ended up with a 6 (67%). All I did was the 2 GMAC prep IR's, I analyzed these a bit to glean a few tips and tricks, and I did 2 Manhattan test IR's (silly tough, but really force you to prioritize time/rough calculations over incorrectly reading in depth).

Bottom line, You should aim for 5+ depending on what schools you're targeting. I'd say don't spend too much time on IR, but do the GMAC stuff and maybe 1 or two other practice IR's. Better safe than sorry.

A
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Winds81 wrote:

Check out this post on our website:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/06 ... -released/

It gives you the official IR percentiles.
GMAT Club Bot