Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [6]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Re: Review of The Official LSAT SuperPrep [#permalink]
Thanks for the input and clarification, guys! It's great to have different views on this to offer the most information. Kudos!

I hope my input didn't come off as negative, but I didn't gain much from it. But that certainly doesn't mean that it's a bad book. If one needs extra practice with RC, then it's worth considering. And those 150 LR questions won't hurt either. :wink:

The explanations are indeed official. But these are official LSAT explanations. For our purposes, an official GMAT explanation is always best.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
No need to get upset over that! I simply focused on the RC, while you (I think) emphasized the LR. That counts more as a different interpretation than any deficiency on your part. Besides, you made an excellent contribution by mentioning the price in relation to the quantity of questions - something that I failed to directly address. Thanks!

I think that the book costs about 20 dollars on Amazon. For 250 questions, that's pretty cheap and should be counted as another strength of the book.

But I would like to ask you something, if that's alright. Do you consider the LSAT LR or RC problems more helpful?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I used Powerscore RC Bible and already started some of Powerscore LR Bible. That's a lot for me, so Superprep won't be a part of my verbal prep. But kudos for reviewing!
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
such kind of reviews and comments makes life so much easier for people..Thanks bmillan01 and username123
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Review of LSAT SuperPrep [#permalink]
Kudos
I am getting a score of 33-35 in verbal. I need to improve it to 40+.. i have done the manhattan guides, powerscore CR and kaplan 800 (apart from OG). I am looking for advanced practice content (700+ level).

Please recommend some books..

Thanx in advance...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Kudos
Hi, domfrancondumas.

A score in the mid-30s indicates that you have a reasonable grasp of the concepts necessary to perform well on the verbal section, though there still might be some gaps. Which guidebooks are you using and which question types are you having difficulty with (RC, CR, SC)? LSAT RC questions are very good practice for the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
BM wrote:
Hi, domfrancondumas.

A score in the mid-30s indicates that you have a reasonable grasp of the concepts necessary to perform well on the verbal section, though there still might be some gaps. Which guidebooks are you using and which question types are you having difficulty with (RC, CR, SC)? LSAT RC questions are very good practice for the GMAT.

Hi BM.

Thanx for the quick reply.
First, I used manhattan guides for rc, sc, and cr. the manhattan sc is awesome. But manhattan wasn't good for rc and cr. Then i started doing powerscore CR. It really helped. I think this is the best book for CR. It improved my concepts and changed the way I looked for the answers in the CR questions. For RC, i read a few chapters of powerscore, I couldnt get the book(not available here). But the basic point in RC is read carefully and focus on the structure.

CR: There is no specific area I'm weak in or very good at. I got 5 wrong out of 15 in the test. And they aren't a particular type. In fact all 5 are different.

SC: The "meaning" questions are a bit tricky for me and although my parallelism questions were right, I am not very confident in that..

RC: In RC, main idea(2) and inference questions(3) are wrong. :( Although i have practiced them sufficiently, this is one thing that doesn't seem to improve. There is significant improvement in SC and CR after practice but RC is not improving.

I hope I was able to tell you what you asked.
Thanks in advance...
I hope the reply wasn't lengthy... :)

kudos if my post helped.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [2]
Kudos
For me, the trick to SC was rereading the Manhattan SC guidebook a few times and reinforcing the concepts with as many quality questions as possible. Good sources include OG Verbal, OG 13, Manhattan online question banks, GMATPrep tests and question banks, and GMATClub forums. Make sure that you also fully read every explanation - even for the questions that you answered correctly. This helps you to get into the test makers' "logic." Another useful activity is becoming very active on the verbal forums for SC and CR. Answer as many questions as possible and thoroughly explain why one choice is correct and the others incorrect. For CR, the same strategy can be used (rereading and question practice).

For RC, guidebooks are usually not necessary. Manhattan's RC guidebook is mediocre, while Powerscore's RC Bible is overkill for most. Start practicing with LSAT RC passages under timed conditions.

And as you have a pretty good idea of which areas cause you trouble, do your best to focus on those. I know that this is obvious, but it doesn't hurt to say it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
BM wrote:
For me, the trick to SC was rereading the Manhattan SC guidebook a few times and reinforcing the concepts with as many quality questions as possible. Good sources include OG Verbal, OG 13, Manhattan online question banks, GMATPrep tests and question banks, and GMATClub forums. Make sure that you also fully read every explanation - even for the questions that you answered correctly. This helps you to get into the test makers' "logic." Another useful activity is becoming very active on the verbal forums for SC and CR. Answer as many questions as possible and thoroughly explain why one choice is correct and the others incorrect. For CR, the same strategy can be used (rereading and question practice).

For RC, guidebooks are usually not necessary. Manhattan's RC guidebook is mediocre, while Powerscore's RC Bible is overkill for most. Start practicing with LSAT RC passages under timed conditions.

And as you have a pretty good idea of which areas cause you trouble, do your best to focus on those. I know that this is obvious, but it doesn't hurt to say it!

I am trying the same method with SC. :)
I normally don't read the explanation if my answer is right. Will start that from now. And if my answer isn't right I try to figure out myself which answer is right..
I have reserved the GMATprep material for the end.. Is that ohk?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [2]
Kudos
Many recommend using one GMATPrep test in the beginning of your prep to find out where you stand. However, I saved both GMATPrep tests until the last two weeks of my prep. For me, this was the right decision, but everyone is different. Just make sure that you (1) review the guidebooks until they become boring and easy; and (2) practice and review lots of high-quality questions. If you want more questions, consider the extra paper tests and study packs from GMAC (see the store here). The additional products are expensive and perhaps not necessary, but this is official practice material.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts